PDA

View Full Version : simplify/vectorise images

kiri
02-07-2004, 11:51 PM
hey, does anyone know if there are any plugins or external progs to convert images (such as photos) to vector shapes or simplify down to basic shapes?

dg
02-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Hi,

Adobe Streamline and CorelTRACE part of the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite are the ones that I'm aware of.

CorelTRACE supports color output and have several ways of tracing a image, but you could try to do that inside PS using some posterization, blur, magic wand (selections) and then turning your selections to paths, after all that you can export your paths to Illustrator and then color them out there.

Hope this helps.

See ya,
dg

kiri
02-08-2004, 02:15 AM
thanks diogo girondi
i tried the PS method you mentioned and it can produce some quite interesting results

chuckie
02-08-2004, 02:20 AM
Just to add to that..
Illustrator has an auto trace tool grouped with the Blend tool.

Flash also has a function called Trace bitmap.

Both will vectorise a bitmap. Probably not the best way to go though as it's quite intensive on your computer.

In photoshop I find if you go to filters > artistic > cutout it works better than the posterize function.

kiri
02-08-2004, 08:33 AM
thanks chuckie, those are also good methods.
although i find that the trace functions of those programs result in far too many points (even after adjusting the settings) for the style i am after. And also tend to give a very typical vector web graphic look which i am trying to avoid.
still, good for some cases.
so far the best success i have had is with the photoshop-illustrator technique that diogo described

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.