PDA

View Full Version : Color pallette brush question


gmask
02-07-2004, 11:46 PM
I need to do some classic style pixle paint art and one thign I cannot seem to do in photoshop..maybe somebody knows a better program is have a brush that cycles through a range of colors of tones as a paint.

The idea is that afterwords if you cycle the pallette on this image the color will strobe almost as if it's flowing down a path. My current heart avatar is an example of this except I manually painted the different tones to cycle through.

dg
02-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi GMask!


Damn :surprised , I not not sure that I understood you but usually for pixel art I use PS with square brushes, as for the blend that you're trying to achieve the best option I can think of, is to use gradients with the Mosaic filter which doesn't work quiet well since it gives you an antialiased result. You can also try "Color dynamics" foreground/background in the Brush options, but it works way better with a tablet.

Botton line I have no clue....hehehehe :D


Sorry for not being able to help you mate :hmm:


Cheers,
dg

gmask
02-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by diogo girondi
the best option I can think of, is to use gradients with the Mosaic filter which doesn't work quiet well since it gives you an antialiased result. You can also try "Color dynamics" foreground/background in the Brush options, but it works way better with a tablet.


Yeah gradients are okay if I want the cycle to flow in a linear direction but I need it to brush the brush path.

It's a cheesey effect that I think was common on Amiga paint systems like the live board and maybe on the Fairlight back in the day but I have also seen it in older video games.

I'll look into color dynamics but I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

I can actually fake this in After Effects using Colorama and Echo but I would be simplier if I could just paint the artwork directly.

Ikarus
02-09-2004, 05:38 AM
I'm not sure I understand exactly what your looking for either :hmm:. But if your looking to get an effect similar to what your avatar has you can create something similar to that in "Illustrator" with the "Blend" tool. Instead of choosing smooth color you can specify the number of steps. Below is an example using the shape of a star.

The first one has it blending from red to dark red. The second one has it from red to dark red to green.
http://www.ikaruz.com/web/cgtalk/starblend.gif

gmask
02-09-2004, 05:46 AM
I knew the heart was a bad example..

Here's more what I mean

http://gmaskfx.com/cgtalk/rainbowsnake.gif

Ikarus
02-09-2004, 06:31 AM
:surprised I'm not sure that might be possible to do with just a single brush stroke in photoshop. Specially if it's going to be animated. By the way did you manually do all the color transitions, or was that your workaround in after effects?

Here's something similar done in Illustrator with the blend tool that took only a couple of seconds, but then again I don't know if it's exactly what your looking for, or if it's going to be animated. I guess the after effects workaround might be your best choice right now without having to manually do all the transitions.

http://www.ikaruz.com/web/cgtalk/squareblend.gif

gmask
02-09-2004, 06:36 AM
>>> I'm not sure that might be possible to do with just a single brush stroke in photoshop.

Probably not but open to suggestion for any programs that might and are avialable for windows.

>>By the way did you manually do all the color transitions, or was that your workaround in after effects?

Yes.. the animation part wil be done in AE which is simple is create the neccessary stepping gradients that's a pain.

>>>Here's something similar done in Illustrator with the blend tool that took only a couple of seconds, but then again I don't know if it's exactly what your looking for, or if it's going to be animated. I guess the after effects workaround might be your best choice right now without having to manually do all the transitions.

Illustrator is not the way.. the blends do not follow a path and are linear blends.

I dunno maybe the painter can do it.. basically for every sample of the brush a different shade is used if I recall painter had the image brush that could paint the frames from a quicktime movie one after the other.. that would do what I wanted actually..

halo
02-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Illustrator is not the way.. the blends do not follow a path and are linear blends

erm they can do, just use the shape interpolate tool...they follow any shape then.

gmask
02-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by halo
erm they can do, just use the shape interpolate tool...they follow any shape then.

Okay ..yes but then I have no control over the shape that is being stamped along the "path".

Also keep in mind that creating this needs to be quick.. like simply painting a stroke in a paint program.

Looks like I'll just being doing this in AE.

http://gmaskfx.com/cgtalk/rainbowstar.gif

halo
02-09-2004, 09:45 PM
oh, i thought you wanted to make a shape like the heart and star...rather than the "S"

i seem to remember you can repeat objects along a path in illustrator as well, so you should be able to do the S as well, but i think you have to define them as a pattern or something...its ages since i've done it...have a dig around.

gmask
02-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by halo
oh, i thought you wanted to make a shape like the heart and star...rather than the "S"

i seem to remember you can repeat objects along a path in illustrator as well, so you should be able to do the S as well, but i think you have to define them as a pattern or something...its ages since i've done it...have a dig around.

Yeah but that still wouldn't really do it.. let's just say this has to be in a bitmap only "paint" program.

AJ
02-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Having been brought up on Deluxe Paint - I know exactly what you're after.

The tool you want to use is the Pattern Stamp Tool (you'll find it under the Clone Stamp in the tool bar). Basically, create an image with the gradient colours you want your brush to have - define it as a pattern, then use that pattern with the Pattern Stamp Tool.

Is this the effect you want?

gmask
02-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by AJ_23


Is this the effect you want?

Sounds like it.. Thanks :thumbsup:

gmask
02-09-2004, 10:55 PM
I foudn these two programs that are compared to Deluxe Paint..

Grafx2 96.5
Grafx2 is a 256 colours bitmap paint program like Deluxe Paint on Amiga. it supports many bitmap format like PNG,IFF,BMP,GIF. it is ideal for doing game graphics especially for GBA, mobile phones or PDAs.Grafx2 is freeware

Pro Motion 4.7
Pro Motion is a 256 color based animation and drawing package. It's ideal for creating animations and images used in games or Flash animations. It has a huge number of functions ranging from simple drawing over color cycling to onion skinning.

http://www.newfreeware.com/search.php3?q=Deluxe+Paint

Ikarus
02-10-2004, 03:04 AM
How long does it take for each one of those peaces like the "S" shape with the stars?

Halo is right in illustrator you can define any shape as a brush(scatter brush) and draw your path and apply the brush to the stroke. You can adjust the spacing and other atributes in the brush options and once your happy "expand apperance" and you'll have all those shapes along the path. Then by coloring the first star and last star, you can then select them all and use "Filter-->Colors-->Blend Front to Back" and it will blend each shape front to back. You can then just use "Hue/Saturation" to animate it the color transition.

Below is a quick sample took about 3-5 minutes. Keep in mind you can adjust spacing between your shapes(ie:star) size, rotation, scatter, all in real time in illustrator so tweaking how you want it is simple.
http://www.ikaruz.com/web/cgtalk/starcolor.gif

gmask
02-10-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Ikarus
How long does it take for each one of those peaces like the "S" shape with the stars?

Below is a quick sample took about 3-5 minutes. Keep in mind you can adjust spacing between your shapes(ie:star) size, rotation, scatter, all in real time in illustrator so tweaking how you want it is simple.




It took me probably about 30 secs to set up mine in AE plus it's completely procedural so I can adjust any parameter including the shape it's twist, spacing, and color.

I can resuse the comp as many times as I want substituting different shapes or adding others.

In any case what I was actually looking for is much simpler but I need to be able to quickly edit small bitmaps and Illustrator and AE put a layer of complexity between that I really don't need... although I'm probably going to use AE to create some specific effects and in the end all the elements will be imported and color cycled in AE anyway.

There is also a somewhat trivial issue of wantign to do it in a archaic program since the project is an ode to cheesy computer graphics and old video games.. but that is just a personal thing not a requirement.. I also find it amusing that one would use the most sophisticated software to do something crude and rudimentary :buttrock:

halo
02-10-2004, 01:12 PM
so you've done it now? good.

gmask
02-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by halo
so you've done it now? good.

I haven't had a chance to tryout those free programs I downloaded yet..

What's the dealwith Deluxe Paint.. is it dead?

uncon
02-10-2004, 08:21 PM
In your brushes (Photoshop > 7.0) you can fade from foreground to background in a specified number of steps (under color dynamics). This doesn't solve your gradient problem entirely though. If you want to cycle through a bunch of colors do the color fade thing through black and white then apply "image> adjustments> gradientmap ..." to your b/w stroke to get the fade through whatever you want.

This is the quickest easiest way I can think to do this in photoshop. Hope it helps!

gmask
02-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by uncon
In your brushes (Photoshop > 7.0) you can fade from foreground to background in a specified number of steps (under color dynamics). This doesn't solve your gradient problem entirely though. If you want to cycle through a bunch of colors do the color fade thing through black and white then apply "image> adjustments> gradientmap ..." to your b/w stroke to get the fade through whatever you want.



I'll try that too.. I actually only need a grayscale ramp as in the end I will be animating the color cycle in AE.

halo
02-10-2004, 09:08 PM
you can then try just stroking the path with a custom brush in pS and adjusting the spacing with uncon's method.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.