PDA

View Full Version : Hello fellow blenderheads at cgtalk.

iluvblender
02-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Hello guys 'n gals.

this is my first post here at cgtalk.

how are ya?

- Satish.

Apollux
02-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Cool!! Another blenderhead!

Welcome to the house :wavey:

dreamsgate
02-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Welcome, pull up a seat and stay awhile.

Wanna a cup of coffee?

iluvblender
02-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by dreamsgate
Welcome, pull up a seat and stay awhile.

Wanna a cup of coffee?

:)

:beer:

:wavey:

BgDM
02-09-2004, 12:06 PM

BgDM

akalegolas
02-09-2004, 09:50 PM
I think the Blender 3d section is pretty much dead. There are VERY few posts here. Too bad. Blender is an awesome program.

akalegolas
02-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Oh, by the way, welcome to the forums.

djcapelis
02-12-2004, 12:09 AM
As someone else pointed out, the blender people are here... @ndy for example... he's just off making things that hit the front page or go into the galleries.

Then of course there is Elysium which is... well huge, and you don't really need cgtalk with Elysium... but still, it would be nice if a few more blenderheads were to hang out here as well.

Ran13
02-25-2004, 02:56 PM
There would probably be a lot more blender users if everyone with an ATI Radeon grafx card wasn't excluded from the party.

Blame it on ATI's OGL drivers...blame it on blenders odd usage of OGL for the GUI...BAH!

Blame is for God and little children, taking action to get the job done is what ADULTS do.

Do I expect ATI to fix it? I ain't holdin' my breath...blender isn't even a blip on the ATI radar screen.

Do I expect the Blender Foundation to offer a workaround? Not likely..they're too busy blaming ATI's drivers (which, of course work for every other 3D app I have, including Wings which uses some of the same 2D OGL calls for it's GUI that blender does...and despite the fact that ATI contributes mightily to the OGL ARB and have a major say in the apps that determine conformance to the OGL spec of a given OGL implementation).

quote from http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2002/july/opengl_archit.html

"The OpenGL 2.0 working group will be chaired by ATI Technologies, and includes a majority of the ARB members and numerous ARB participants."

quote from http://www.opengl.org/about/arb/faq.html

"What are the conformance tests?

The conformance tests are a suite of programs which judge the success of an OpenGL implementation. Each implementor is required to run these tests and pass them in order to call their implementation with the registered trademark OpenGL. Passing the conformance tests ensures source code compatibility of applications across all OpenGL implementations."

I've done all I CAN do as an artist, not a programmer. I informed both parties of the problem (as have MANY others), but see no resolution in sight. The problem dates back over 2 years now.

If the Blender Foundation can't offer a workaround so their app can be used with newer ATI (Radeon) vid cards, they should tell people up front that Blender does not function with ATI Radeons and save us all the time and trouble of even downloading it in the first place. Nor do I see any effort on the part of the Blender Foundation to rattle any cages over at ATI to find a resolution.

restlesscheese
02-25-2004, 07:59 PM
greetings to you!

Zenitor
02-26-2004, 06:07 AM
hi.....

artificial3D
02-26-2004, 07:56 AM
hi satish, glad to see you on cgtalk :)

Originally posted by Ran13
There would probably be a lot more blender users if everyone with an ATI Radeon grafx card wasn't excluded from the party.

hey, i'm using a new and shiny radeon, and it's awesome together with blender :thumbsup:

djcapelis: bah! no way :blush:

.andy

StephanD
02-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Two systems here...

The one I use Blender with HAS a Radeon from ATI ...Of course I prefer the one with the 3DLabs VX1 though ;)

Being a serious artist,I think the material I use with my tools is quite important and if they do not fit well together,I just replace one of them,end of story.

Peace

Ran13
02-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Would you care to share anything special you had to do to get blender running with your Radeons?

Elysium (sp?) and blender.org forums, including the bug tracker is peppered with this interface slowdown problem with ATI cards.

Also, the idea of going out and spending another couple hundred dollars on another video card to run a FREE app is ludicrous. Especially when everything else is runnin' just spiffy. (MayaPLE, gmax, Animation:Master, Lightwave DE, Lightwave 5, 3dsmax 3, Milkshape, Wings, etc, etc.) To imply that I'm not a serious artist because I won't spend good money to run blender is a bit insulting.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but really, there WOULD be more users here if ATI/Blender would play well together, and anyone taking a cursory look at the various blender user forums out there can easily see that they do not. As with most things in the computer world, it may be a combination of several different things (like my dual AMD CPU system and multiple monitors), but the common thread in all the message dealing with the interface slowing to a crawl after a period of time all have one thing in common...ATI Radeon.

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=843&group_id=9&atid=231

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=960&group_id=9&atid=231

System specs:
Tyan K7 Thunder mobo
Dual AMD 1.2GHz Palaminos
512MB 266Mhz DDR RAM, ECC, registered
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128Mb
ATI Catalyst v4.2 drivers
Dual 17" Sony GS220 monitors
Win2000Pro SP4

StephanD
02-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Sorry if that insults/insulted you but my view in front of most problems is to remedy it whenever or however I can...

That said,I bought my Radeon for 25US$(was actually for the machine I sat up for my GF),it's rather cheap and always good to have a "backup card"...

I also have a GeForce3,still in it's box which I paid only 55US$ so really it only cost me around 80 bucks to get the best of ATi,NVidia and GlinT chips... :buttrock:

I didn't have to do anything special nor install Webdrivers to get Blender to work the way it does,no menu slowdown,and it's the crappiest machine of both(P3-450mhz+really crap config+Dsl etc..)

Ran13
02-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Since you only paid $25 dollars for it I have to assume that it is a Radeon 7000 series (http://www.pricewatch shows that as the only reaeon you can get for under $30). This problem only shows up in Radeon 8000 and newer. See links posted above.

Sorry, but blender is not important enough to me to dump a $200 video card that works fine for my other apps, and that is likely the case for any new users that heard the news of a revamped GUI for blender. I tried blender back when NaN first released it and couldn't get passed the obtuse interface. Since the Blender Foundation has stated that they've re-worked the GUI, my interest was again peaked. So I decided to have a look. I would be willin' to bet that not many people who suffered the same experience that I did with 2.32a would have given it a fraction of the time that I have.

You see, I have an NVidia 5200 FX in another machine and it runs Blender fine, but I would rather use the ol' reliable "Beast" noted above for rendering. Despite the NVidia powered machine having a 2.6GHz HT Intel chip, the AMD dualie still renders faster using multiple app instances (for those apps, like blender, that don't support multi-threading).

Oh well.

Apollux
02-26-2004, 11:03 PM
This quotes come from the ¨Graphics card compatibility - post your specs here!¨ thread on www.blender.org

Operating system: Gentoo Linux 1.4 beta. (Kernel 2.4.20)
Graphics card: ATI Radeon 9700
Driver/OpenGL version: built-in XFree 4.3.0
Functionality: Blender only runs in software rendering.
Additional notes: Video card not yet supported with 3d acceleration, 2d acceleration only. ATI seems to be working on a driver for X 4.3.0 though.

- iBook 800 MHz, OSX 10.2.6, ATI Radeon 7500 32 meg
Runs well, though with all the problems inherent in the OSX build. ^_^;;
No problems with Blender releases or CVS versions.

- iBook 500MHz, OSX 10.2.4, ATI Rage Mobility ?? 8 meg
Ran fine when I used it, up to Blender v2.26.

* WindowsXP
* ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
* Latest ATI Catalyst Drivers
* All versions of blender work great

Operating system: Windows 98 second edition (with backup!)
Graphics card: ATI radeon 7500
Driver/OpenGL version: latest from ATI; earlier release drivers work too
Functionality: Perfectly working.

Operating system: Mandrake Linux 9.1
System: Dell Inspiron 4150 (P4 Laptop)
Graphics card: ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW
OpenGL version: 1.2 Mesa 4.0.4
Driver: XFree86 4.3.0 radeon-driver
Functionality: All versions tested (2.25-2.27) works if not using hardware acceleration, but crashes if DRI is enabled.

... and there are pages and pages of fail and success histories, so I guess it is a ¨Your Milleage WILL vary¨ thing.

More details on http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1419&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

However, has you noticed that ATI is the video card that has more problems when it comes to 3D design programs? You can find ATI bashing thread on virtually every 3D app aplication forum around here. So I guess it is not a Blender exclusive issue.

You are lucky that your card works fine with most of your software, but I have seem people having troubles to run those same apps on ATI cards.

akalegolas
02-27-2004, 08:25 PM
I've never like Ati. None of their cards have every really worked good for me. I also have the GeForce 5200. It works awesome! I payed 150 bucks for it, and I'm very satisfied. Works with all my games, and runs Blender with no problems.

Mark62756
02-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Woo! blenderheads! :buttrock:

akalegolas
02-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Yeah, wish there were more Blender heads though! But yeah:buttrock:

Apollux
03-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Ran13
Would you care to share anything special you had to do to get blender running with your Radeons?

System specs:
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128Mb
ATI Catalyst v4.2 drivers

Just found this thread on www.blender.org about ... guess what?? ... how to run Blender with the ATI Radeon 9800 and the Catalyst 4.2 drivers !!!

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3112

In a nutshell, neither Blender nor the hardware is to be blamed, but the software controlling the hardware. He describes how to tweak some ATI settings that aparently the ATI makers didn't want the user to be able to tweak. :)

iXaarii
03-05-2004, 12:16 AM
howdy people!
:beer:

Nice to see you here! This is "Void" from Elysiun :p . I've finally got a cgtalk account :P ... well ... this place seems cold & cruel compared to Elysiun .. but well, gotta make it! No other wayz around it.

:bowdown:
Hale, regards, greetings & well wishes to all the Blenderers out here coloniizing cgtalk!!!

It is through your brave pioneering that I am now here sooner than expected.

so, hiiiiii

shadow12
03-05-2004, 07:27 AM
Hello blenderheads.
I am just now trying to get my head round blender hope it doesnt turn out messy!

BgDM
03-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Hey Void! Glad to see you here.

shadow12: no worries man. If you need help, be sure to check out www.elysiun.com

That is the mainsite for Blender people. So any questions, tute links, etc that you may need, you will definitely find there.

Blender can be a pain to come to grips with initially, but once you get it, your hooked!

BgDM

bbirras
04-02-2004, 12:28 PM
no doubt about it;)

restlesscheese
04-04-2004, 03:42 AM
i am sitting here drooling over youse guys' machines... mine's an ancient emachine *various snickers and laughs*

Ran13
04-07-2004, 02:58 PM
UPDATE:

New ATI Catalyst 4.3 drivers still exihibit the slowdown problem with Blender.

akalegolas
04-07-2004, 04:41 PM
It's because ATI sucks.

Ran13
04-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Gee...aren't you a bucketload of help!

Crawl back in yer hole N00b!

akalegolas
04-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Why is Noob such a popular word? It's really irritating. I simply said Ati sucks. Why? Because it does. I was making a statement rather than answering a question. Geez. I wish you'd crawl back to YOUR hole... or get your head out of it!:wavey:

akalegolas
04-07-2004, 08:34 PM
By the way, just joking in that last post. I'm not really a big jerk. Lol.

Orange_Viper
04-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Hey fellow Blenderheads :beer: :buttrock: I'm new to the program (and CG Talk, really :eek: ) so I'm glad to see a nice Blender 3d forum... as dead as it may seem... Ill try and post lots over here on new topics.. I guess heh... Im -just- starting out with blender, and really... really... really suck, ive been messing with subdivision meshes... like making a plane, extruding to make the shape... can someone help me out and say what the autosmooth feature does, and the degree's on it? I always wounder... anyways, im off to play with Blender now!

Orange_Viper

Apollux
04-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Orange_Viper
Hey fellow Blenderheads :beer: :buttrock: I'm new to the program (and CG Talk, really :eek: ) so I'm glad to see a nice Blender 3d forum... as dead as it may seem... Ill try and post lots over here on new topics.. I guess heh... Im -just- starting out with blender, and really... really... really suck, ive been messing with subdivision meshes... like making a plane, extruding to make the shape... can someone help me out and say what the autosmooth feature does, and the degree's on it? I always wounder... anyways, im off to play with Blender now!

Orange_Viper

Autosmooth makes the join of two surfaces to render as a single smooth surface, as long as the angle between then is less than the degrees setting.

SamAdam
04-18-2004, 08:12 PM
E-L-Y-S-I-U-N, both the site and the spelling. Welcome to the desert that is the Cgtalk blender forum. It is fun to look at the master's work here though.

akalegolas
04-19-2004, 03:45 PM
I wish more people used blender. There aren't many posts here.

iXaarii
04-21-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by akalegolas
I wish more people used blender. There aren't many posts here.

seems to me like more and more people do ... just taht not that many post here ... actually that even makes me a tinsy bit sad besides the general excitement of it because as there are more and more people on Elysiun, the quality of the works is getting way high ... thus more stuckup people .. thus a more competitive & not so friendly environment ... thus it's starting to scare me a bit ... well, not scare, but starting to give me the same aura as cgtalk: you better be good if you dare post a finished post. :p

dreamsgate
04-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Ah, its not that bad. Especially if you posted in Works in Progress first and got and used the constructive remarks from others.

Apollux
04-21-2004, 10:48 PM
iXaarii, that is good news for elysiun. I allways though that it is way too much sugar coating running on Elysiun.

They actually harm you when you present a crappy work and they give you good remarks. An honest critique is better, and those where few in Elysiun.

wolfmanyoda
04-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by iXaarii
... starting to give me the same aura as cgtalk: you better be good if you dare post a finished post. :p [/B]
I know what you mean. Everyone here is just so good.
I haven't started a WIP thread because
A) I think I may get laughed out of here, and
B) I use Blender, and I've not seen any threads in the WIP forum from Blender users. There may be some, I just haven't seen them.
I kind of get the feeling we were herded into this forum and that's where we're supposed to stay.
I really hope I am reading this place wrong on that account because Blender really is capable of great works.

iXaarii
04-22-2004, 10:00 PM
well. I don't really think anybody here objects to a blender piece .. as long as it can genuinely compete for quality with the others.

Poju
04-28-2004, 01:04 AM
Well hi there:wavey:

And there is blender made wips in wips

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.