PDA

View Full Version : Engine/thrusters flare tutorial?

lebada
02-06-2004, 11:28 PM
i've done a good search but have found anything thats good.

i hust need basically a spew of light/glow..maybe 2-3 colors at best for an "engine" of a ship.

i've done some explosions and worked with flare effects and omni lights..

but i'm trying to "up" my level a bit...anyone have some guidelines?:)

Ian Jones
02-13-2004, 02:29 AM
Umm.. here's a basic one using volume light.

http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/tutorials/max/engineglow/engineglow.asp

pogeybait
02-13-2004, 11:08 AM
The above tutorial should get you going in the right direction. In the past I have also found that changing the intesity of the lights during the animation also helps for realism. Animate your light sources and change the intesity up and down. Giving the most intensity to the frames where your engine is "firing up" and then once your vessel is moving along change the intensity randomly plus or minu3 0.3 to give it the effect that the engine is "burning".

Ian Jones
02-14-2004, 05:55 AM
Combine this with a subtle particle system, including a refractive particle system for heat ripple and you should have a pretty neat effect. Don't forget that you can use attenuation to get some more interesting colours into the volume light. Of course, all of this would be even better if you were combining it with post editing with a VFX app or photoshop for stills.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.