PDA

View Full Version : Roughneck Armored Trooper, Eric Unsl (2D)

EricUNSL
02-06-2004, 08:39 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2975/roughneck_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2975/roughneck.jpg)

Hi Everybody!!

A fun exercise in Photoshop. Hope ya like it. C&C welcome

Face detail 100%
http://www.starleagueart.com/images/personal/facedtl.jpg

JackaL(px)
02-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Front page material!

The detail is insane!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Alice
02-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Im thorn here.
One part of me thinks its a darn nice picture with lovely details.

Another part of me thinks it looks like a photo of the original bachelor with some amor pasted onto him.
Not saying that its a photomanip, but that it feels like it. The caracter doesnt seem like a soldier to me. His face looks like hes been smilling far to many times in his life for that.

Painting wise, I dont like how the little metallthingys on the gloves is laying over the straps, but thats just details!

Good work!

edit: spelling

EricUNSL
02-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Parts of the gloves, Hat, and shirt were kept from the original reference material. The rest is me and my wacom. Sorry no photomanipulation.

Alice
02-06-2004, 05:49 PM
I havnt said it is either, you lost my point there.

EricUNSL
02-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Oh I understand now, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I never was satisfied with the way the metal pieces sit on his gloves either. Must have worked it 5-6 times til I gave up.:beer:

Audellah
02-07-2004, 01:44 AM
the gloves are really outstanding... but they looks like garden gloves with metal bits pasted on...

even if the detail is really good, i have to agree with alice: it looks like a normal guy with some armor added on him...

really outstanding technique but can't appreciate at all the subject... this is a constructive critic...!!

dmcgrath
02-07-2004, 05:23 AM
I think that this is fantastic technically. But I also have to agree on the problwm with the gloves. The green things on his hands are out of place (as well as not realistically attached to the gloves). I worked in road construction for a few years, using those exact same gloves, you did very well on making them look real.

The guy just looks too much like an actor, and not a seasoned veteran. Hardly a "groundpounder". If he was a 42 year old gropo, he would look more like Clint Eastwood, and less like Regis Philbin. I don't see that thousand yard stare, and he should have a broken nose maybe, and a bunch more lines on his face.

And one last thing, there are no highlights on the eyes, it makes them look flat, dull, and lifeless.

I really think you have the technical skill to punch this up to another level.

I hope you work on this more when you get the chance, this is really worthy of publication with some extra touches.

Alice
02-07-2004, 10:32 AM
How about just putting the straps halfway over the little metalthingys and a buldging cirkel around the metal, in the glove?

2 things to fast change the soldier could be to make his hair less "fancy" straighten out some curls just a little bit.
The thing that makes me think hes smiled too much is how the wrinkles goes, the ones under his eyes one would get anyways, but the ones around the mouth are a little bit high up (lower the bend a bit) Also, one usually thinks that all soldiers smoke, silly I know. But that would give him some wrinkles at the enges of his lips.

I do think you loose tons of details in the big picture, compared to the close up, thats a shame. :(

But I do appreciate the work you have put in to it, its great!

:beer:
/Alice

EricUNSL
02-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. You all raised interesting points of view that I never thought of. I went back into the face last night and will post an updated version later today. Thanks for pointing out the problems. Not too proud to go back into it.

Alice and dmcgrath: Thank you. My focus on retouching is going to his face and gloves. More facial scars, wrinkles. More Eastwood than Philbin:) Only downside is that the facial work I've added gets lost when viewing it at the res I posted here. Need to get up close to really appreciate it. At least I'll know it's there.

EricUNSL
02-07-2004, 11:53 PM
probably meaningless but at least I know there's a difference. From the suggestions given I updated the top image and here is a detail of the face with a bit more age. Since the reference used was for a western book cover i guess I never thought to change it when using it again in a different context. I didn't want to go nuts with the facial aging and scaring but let me know. I left the original close up for comparison. Thanks again for all your help.

http://www.starleagueart.com/images/personal/facedtl2.jpg

dmcgrath
02-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Yes!

The eyes are so much better now. The highlights really helped.
The face is also a vast improvement. The gloves are getting there, his right hand now has two of those pull straps. I say get rid of the one overlapping the green thing. The left hand strap looks fine. You did exactly what this peice needed. The character has much more personality now.

:thumbsup: I don't usually use smilies, but you got one.

batavia
02-08-2004, 05:28 AM
Awesome work. What an effort you put on the face...with the perfect lighting and skin tone.
Funny concept, though. A pink armored man wearing a cowboy hat..haha

maxchampion25
02-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Wow man, love the texture work you put into everything. Especially the face. Nice Job :thumbsup:

GeoGraphiX
02-09-2004, 02:22 PM
very very nice reminde me of old space books or romans,whitch they used to have back in the days

kodinaarian
02-09-2004, 02:53 PM
i am trying my hand in wacom painting,
actually doing it for the first time.
and i know its not easy.

way to go Eric,
keep up tthe good work
:beer:

DoLeeP
02-09-2004, 03:06 PM
:thumbsup:

costas
02-09-2004, 03:11 PM
IMPRESSIVE
keep up the good work:applause:

MindShell
02-09-2004, 03:19 PM
the only thing i find irritating is the fact that you used a continuous texture for his armor... aside that well done.

cinlbing
02-09-2004, 03:21 PM
just one word "WOW"
:bounce:

cinlbing
02-09-2004, 03:23 PM
just one word "WOW"
:bounce:
i like the gloves

Bil
02-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Excellent job!

You misspelled Helmet though ;)

Bil

billy_badass
02-09-2004, 03:56 PM
i think the problem with it is the parts you referenced stand out way too much from the rest ....it looks like a real hack job....sorry

Clockwork
02-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I gotta admit, although the actual artistic side of this is very well produced, It just doesn't fit together, I mean is this an armored trooper on vacation at a ranch? It just looks like you originally did a painting of a cowboy, and then later added the tech stuff to try a different look.

Amilton Diesel
02-09-2004, 04:20 PM
This is really ART

DesertKnight23
02-09-2004, 04:24 PM
One of the best works I have seen done on Photoshop, Great Work!! The improvement on the eyes definetly looks better now. How long did this take you?

Ebola0001
02-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Jeez.... why does it automatically have to be a soldier or trooper if its a guy in a hard-shell suit... it could be a farmer on mars just come into the living dome and taken off his helmet...

nothing in that shell says military to me its to plain and has none of the points that would scream military to me... I take it as a civilian who has to wear that suit to work.

anyway I just want to say that... you people need to find explanations that fit the picture... not try to force the picture into predefined explanations

just my 2 cents

Tulkas
02-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Impressive work!

I like the controversial combination of the cowboy hut and the futuristic armour.

BNicolucci
02-09-2004, 04:52 PM
The armor is such a lower quality then the man (who looks fantastic!) that it makes the whole composition look like a hodge podge. The way parts of the texture don't follow the curves of the armor makes it look flat and dull. It really does make it "look" more like a photomanip even if it isn't as you mentioned.

Like I said though, the face and arms are very well painted.

Clockwork
02-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Ebola0001
Jeez.... why does it automatically have to be a soldier or trooper if its a guy in a hard-shell suit... it could be a farmer on mars just come into the living dome and taken off his helmet...

nothing in that shell says military to me its to plain and has none of the points that would scream military to me... I take it as a civilian who has to wear that suit to work.

anyway I just want to say that... you people need to find explanations that fit the picture... not try to force the picture into predefined explanations

just my 2 cents

Because the title of the thread is "Character: ARMORED TROOPER "

squeezestudio
02-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Look realistic ! .... good job !

.oO-cloak-Oo.
02-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by billy_badass
i think the problem with it is the parts you referenced stand out way too much from the rest ....it looks like a real hack job....sorry

Some parts are good (like the face), but I have to agree with billy here. The photo referenced material really sticks out like a sore thumb. The metal is really plain looking and looks too similar all over. Sorry bro, but if Im gonna be brutally honest I dont think this is a finished work or front page material....yet. :)

Radacci
02-09-2004, 05:55 PM
i think the ear looks a little big...and shouldnt it be kinda round on the bottom? and hanging down...i was gonna comment on the specularity of the eyes too, but that was already changed :)
but i also think that the eye-lids should be larger on the top part, it's to thin...
great image though :)

Alice
02-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Congrats on the plug!
Fun to see your work pay off :)

Cararan
02-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Excellent type of work. Just love the detail that went into this.

NicoDN
02-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Fun exercice for a fun result !!! :bounce: :bounce:

stipick
02-09-2004, 07:21 PM
2 words...you're good. Thansk for showing us your stuff...

Lara
02-09-2004, 08:40 PM
wow, I love it!!:thumbsup:

batavia
02-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Elmond Ark Shin
i think the ear looks a little big...and shouldnt it be kinda round on the bottom? and hanging down...i was gonna comment on the specularity of the eyes too, but that was already changed
Hey my ears are like that..
Anyway, great work.

mihkeltt
02-09-2004, 09:49 PM
really great picture:)
but one funny thing caught my eye: you have "helmuc seal" written on the neck, shouldn't it be "helmet seal" ?

Neil
02-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Ebola0001
Jeez.... why does it automatically have to be a soldier or trooper if its a guy in a hard-shell suit...

Not to mention that if you click on the properties of the image, he actually named the file "soldier".
So ...yeah.

TerrestrialSea
02-10-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Alice
Another part of me thinks it looks like a photo of the original bachelor with some amor pasted onto him.
Not saying that its a photomanip, but that it feels like it. The caracter doesnt seem like a soldier to me. His face looks like hes been smilling far to many times in his life for that.

True, but you could also think of it as a photo of a soldier who has seen many lands and killed many foe, but at the same time has still kept his spirits high. His eye's show his true charactor.

Dravenfr
02-10-2004, 03:46 AM
Yeappppp it's really great job !!!!

Just one thing to say : :drool:

TRyanD
02-10-2004, 03:58 AM
Thats nice!!!

Id love to see you or someone do some gunslinger pics in that style (stephen kings the dark tower series).

Thats how i imagine roland looking sorta, i hate the book art.... Cept he wouldnt have that armor on ;)

mmountain
02-10-2004, 05:26 AM
a tribulte to Leonard Skynard?

nice stuff :)

Thi. Prodhomme
02-10-2004, 07:29 AM
:beer: Yes ! Good Work !

Gremlin
02-10-2004, 08:19 AM
thats just incredable, I really like the way you succeeded in making the gloves, just superb work really. :D

Ectoplasm
02-10-2004, 08:47 AM
It is an eclectic choice of clothing... I think people are seeing futuristic but are thrown off by the modern day hat and gloves... Nice drawing though... First thing that came to my mind was he looks like Cliff Robertson.

costas
02-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Excellent

EricUNSL
02-10-2004, 07:22 PM
I can't believe I spelled helmet wrong. I can't even blame it on a keyboard typo. Just stupid that's all. Had to go back into the PSD file to see for myself. Oh well I corrected it. * note to self, never add text unless you can spell* I see there has been some debate over what this guy is. I want to take a moment and explain and respond to you all. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate and expect brutal honest for anything I create. Only way to improve.

I did this Soldier/Ranger painting as a test to work out the armor texture and armor design before moving into a action scene involving the rangers fighting an enemy. I was working on this one for that cinematic game icon challenge. Never got around to finishing it because of work. But it gives detail as to some of my progress steps, reference used and the last point before painting over all the placeholders. Be back later to explain. Thanks guys!

cinematic game icon challenge (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=668756#post668756)

Faithbleed
02-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Love It.

He does look like a actor though, hes looks a little too moody and thoughtful to be a trooper, I think his hairs a little to long and hes missing a large gash of his face. The metal bits on the glove look fine, the strap that goes across it ruins it for me though.

But all that this is one outstanding piece of art. Well done, I hope to see more of your work in the future.

siquier
02-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Bruce Willis with hair!!!
Good work :thumbsup:

Jimmy_Dublo
02-11-2004, 04:19 PM
:eek:
My God, its awsome.

How long did it take you to do this?

:thumbsup:

EricUNSL
02-12-2004, 12:04 AM
First off I'd like to thank the moderators for choosing my piece for inclusion in the choice gallery and to everybody who took the time to share their thoughts on my work. There was alot of really good stuff to choose from. Thanks!

I posted the idea behind the piece but later erased it. He is a Ground Trooper, Space Ranger, Soldier. He can go by any title. He returned home and is taking one last look at the farm he called home before shipping out.
The model is a professional model from a modeling agency in NYC. I'm sure if you searched through a library or bookstore long enough you'd find his face all over bookcovers or whatever. Had to use a pro. Try going up to somebody on the street and convince them to pose for a painting. They'll either scream, hit you or run away.

kodinaarian: Stick with it. The using the wacom will be second nature after awhile.

Ebola0001: That's the only thing I intentionally left out. The dark circle in the chest plate is where the military insignia would glow when geared up and ready for combat. A removable disc that represents his regiment and serves as a dog tag. Easy for me to make all that up in hindsight but I really did go through alot of preliminary work before painting this.

Alice: Thanks for your help. It is nice to see the work pay off. I rarely see artists who post go back into their work even after numerous people see and call out the same flaws.

TRYanD: I'm working on another gunslinger/space ranger piece now. check the link to the cinematic game icon challenge from my last post. Never read the Dark Tower series but I know of the Michael Whelan covers. Seeing his work up close is a joy.

I wanted to avoid any huge gashes across his face. When fully armored he would have a helmet pressurized to the the neck and shoulder plates. wouldn't make sense to me for him to have more than minor scars.

Total I think I spent about 2 weeks time. More was spent on the armor than the face. Still learning how to texture.
:shrug:

Later!:wavey:

willbrown
02-12-2004, 06:00 PM
This is wonderful work! I can't think of any nits to pick! Excellent head study and I love the brush metal. Truly frontpage :bowdown:

DoLeeP
02-12-2004, 11:36 PM
nice work I like it alot

Dream
02-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Is it just me, or does this guy look a little like John Walsh... the host from America's Most Wanted.

Orange Ray
02-18-2004, 08:42 AM
great job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EricUNSL
02-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks Everyone,

Hmmm.. John Walsh? I guess maybe he does. His tougher, older brother most likely.:)

ldlam
02-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Wonderfull. I love it.

You should do more of this kind of art!:thumbsup:

phOny
03-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Amazing stuff, Its a real inspiration to budding artists such as myself... Can't wait to see more. :thumbsup:

UK3D
03-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Excelent image. There's a strong sense of narative running through this. I wondered why the cowboy hat? What's just happened to mix these very different clothing content together. Great work.

mehdianim
03-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Looks good but the armor doesn't feel right on this guy. Also the armor doesn't look like it's got volume. Where it's supposed to turn away from you the grain on the metal always goes in the same direction which doesn't give the sense of depth it needs. Look at the surface on the Left shoulder where it's easy to see.

Otherwise you have good skill, just need some more rigor I'd say.

ParadiseFlyBird
03-05-2004, 03:40 AM
cool cowboy VS marine crossover ..... the picture, it brings to my
mind is..... a terran soilder from starcraft. back at home on his ranch.... tending to his zerglings......

CArnold03
06-18-2004, 01:02 AM
Yea, I gotta admit, this has a massive starcraft vibe bumping off of it, but it's a bit more unique. Like you've got some kind of space reservist who's checking out his cattle on his colony before he heads off to do some deploy, drill, or whatever.

icezasa
06-18-2004, 07:15 AM
very great~!

icezasa
06-18-2004, 07:20 AM
very great~!:beer: i wanna cry baby very well done

ShaCAOS
06-18-2004, 01:19 PM
nice job!!!! :scream:

ktboys
06-18-2004, 03:11 PM
very good!
cool!

Natethor
06-20-2004, 06:36 PM
very nice work.I like the look and feel,the mood.

EricUNSL
06-24-2004, 04:15 AM
I really don't know what starcraft is, but thanks. I'm glad you like it.

tomcruselover
06-24-2004, 12:25 PM
nice image!

sarfarazsoomro
06-24-2004, 07:18 PM
very nice.. awsome stuff :):bounce: :eek:

icezasa
06-25-2004, 04:39 AM
very very nice reminde me of old space books or romans,whitch they used to have back in the days~!

EricUNSL
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Wow icezasa, I don't think I've had anyone post 3 times in one of my threads. I'm glad you like it.

Saikin
07-02-2004, 09:09 PM
something amazing...facial detail is outstanding...I would go through and pick out problems....if I could find any..

nacho_grande
07-21-2004, 10:38 PM
amazing work for photoshop mate. Keep painting :bounce: :applause: :buttrock:

tilite
03-31-2005, 05:41 PM
the materials u can create with such efficient use of colour is astounding. the level of detail but most importantly the execution of the such detail is sublime. a true piece of eye candy

stunning:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2005, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.