PDA

View Full Version : 3D Max help, please....

SecretAgent
02-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey guys, I've been learning and doing a test in 3D Max this week and I got stuck on 2 things. I wanted to ask you guys since this is game related and I always get good responses here - keep it in the family, you know, heh.

1) I created an ammo box w/2 seperate handles, each object is UVW mapped - I want to use only 1 texture map for the objects. Is there a way I select all 3 objects and edit them in the same UVW window, so they can share the same texture space?

2) Is there a way to take a UVW snapshot that'll allow me to export the UVW map so I can open it in Photoshop for texture creation? (I'm looking for a way that's better/more accurate than just taking a screen capture.)

ironikart
02-05-2004, 11:15 PM
I can help with #2.

A very popular plugin to export UV maps in Max is texporter. You can download it free at www.snotmonster.com

Poopinmymouth
02-05-2004, 11:15 PM
your gonna have to temporarily attach the 3 objects, edit the uvs then separate them back off. altho not sure why they arent attached already, any particular reason you need them to be sep objects?

yes use psdunwrapper from scriptspot. it will give you your uvs as a path in photoshop, or texporter, but i prefer psdunwrapper

link:
http://www.scriptspot.com/download.asp?ID=2058

three
02-05-2004, 11:18 PM
uh, yeah, well... I was just about to say what the two dudes above said :D

go with that.

Good luck.

SecretAgent
02-06-2004, 03:28 AM
Thanks a lot guys, I will try out that plugin and see if I can't get Max to obey me! heh.

>>Poop: how do I attach the objects and edit the UVs together? I had the 3 objects grouped but, couldn't UV map them like that.

- I'm use to creating seperate objects in Maya and mapping their UV's in the same texure space and taking a snapshot of those several selected objects for PS. I figured it would work in Max since you can select more than one obj but, I guess I was wrong (or maybe there is a way?).

three
02-06-2004, 04:25 AM
Hi :)

In the "edit"-menu (the one on the right) for an editable object, there's this button that says "Attach", click that and the object you want to attach to the mesh.
Then you can go ahead with Texture-ID's and UVW all of them into one single texture sheet (which you can use texporter to get).

Hope that helps.

Confracto
02-06-2004, 05:54 AM
(assuming max 5 or 6)

for the wireframe capture, I've been using the render to texture option, with a wireframe material and 100% illumination...works great....if you can figure out how to use the render to texture option at all ;)

JonasNoell
02-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Dunno if it has been already anwerered, but:

1. If your 3 seperate objects all look more or less the same go and delete 2 of them and go to unwrap your last remaining. Then duplicate it 2 times and attatch it to the missing parts in the mesh. So your three objects do all have the very same UVW texture.

2. Go and get Texporter, it's free and absolutely usefull.

Buck
02-06-2004, 11:51 AM
It was already explained above, but what the heck;

Attach all three objects by using the attach button in either editable mesh or poly. Put an unwrap uv modifier on top of your stack and then lay out the uvs. Then put another editable mesh or poly modifier on top of you stack.

Now there's two ways to do this. You can go to the 'Element' sublevel and click the handles. It should mark the entire handle right away, but if that fails, use polygon sublevel instead and select the handles poly by poly. Then hit the detach button.

You should now have three seperate objects that shares one texture sheet :)

Cheers

samgrice
02-06-2004, 12:44 PM
hey Eric!!

I'm not entierly sure what your trying to do, but if you want to use one texture page for several objects then i can say what i do:

unwrap one object, leaving enough space for the other two, then textport this and set this as the background for unwraping the next object. then do the same again for the final object and you should then have all the objects unwrapped inside one square texture page. then in photoshop compasite all the textports together and use that as the basis for your texturing. now when you apply the texture to the onjetcs they should all fit correctly.

hope that helps

SecretAgent
02-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I forgot to mention I'm using Max5 and I did download Texporter yesterday, hopefully that'll allow me to export the UV maps.

I'm completely new to Max so I get a little lost w/out step by step instructions at this point. I think the attach option should work for combining the 3 objects UC coordinates in the same texture space for one exported map.

oh yeah, I love this forum so much! I posted the same question in the 3DMax section and only got like 2 kinda vague responses - here you guys told me like 50 different ways to do things, thanks mates!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.