PDA

View Full Version : Creating Ocean Waves

Six60Sicks
02-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone. been a while since i posted. I have started using max6 instead of just maya. I need a little help thinking of ways to creats a cartoony ocean wave. Anyone have tutorial links or any ideas for me to play with? Also any Max6 Particle tutorials would be great. I finished all the ones the manual and i want more!..
thanks
Nick

KazuyaMochu
02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
make a plane, with lots of segmentes... say... 100x100
than apply a space warp wave
than a noise
than another big wave for extra organicity

play arowund with it!

take care

SuperMax
02-06-2004, 08:51 AM
how would you make the White soapie water come when the wave is at is highest?

KazuyaMochu
02-06-2004, 09:54 AM
thats a tricky one...!

maybe you you define a material that deals with the vertext highth.

the higher it is, the more white it is to...

I would have to make a few tests,

I'll tell you If I get anything!

Kazuya Mochu

Boa
02-07-2004, 07:33 AM
If you want perfect crashing waves, read this:
Brandon Davis Intermedia Logo Project (http://www.particlefx.com/animation/intermedia/index.html)

And may be you could use glu3D instead of RealFlow (which Brandon used). It's cheaper. The link is: glu3D (http://www.3daliens.com/)

Boa

Six60Sicks
02-09-2004, 04:53 AM
thanks for the help and the link to the tutorial. I have done some tests with 100 X 100 plains with noise deformers and a wave deformer, and a lattice. I got some pretty nice results when combined with a particle spray for some foam. But i am still looking for any other ideas to try. I appreciate the feedback already, but i know some others have thoughts. I imagine some vetrans that have figured this out may want to keep there secrets, but maybe a little push in the right direction would help :) . I got the beta of Glu3D. Just isn't much documentation around for it. I was able to create some nice fluid effects. But they were more by accident then anything. I have access to Real Flow if anyone knows of a good real flow tutorial for anything ) wave or not). And I doubt it but if anyone has glu3d tutorials that would be great. I registered for the glu3d message board, we will see what happens. I plan to play tomarrow and post some results.

Boa
02-09-2004, 01:37 PM
if anyone has glu3d tutorials that would be great

Did you see the tutorials on their website?

pogeybait
03-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Dreamscape seems to work the best for me. It does the best job, in my opinion, of creating realistic looking waves and also has the ability to create foam at the crests of waves. There are some limitations on what it can do but I suppose that depends on what effect you are looking for. It also includes some daemons for interacting geometry with the water. Might be worth looking into.

Voldron
03-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Definatly go with :drool: Dreamscape

NOTHING CAN COMPARE TO ITS POWER
:thumbsup:

Six60Sicks
03-25-2004, 09:16 PM
How do you do crest with dreamscape?

pogeybait
03-26-2004, 01:14 PM
I havent tried it because I usually dont need crests, but I have been told that you can use a Free-Form Deformation (FFD) tool on the seascape mesh. You would need to play around with it but I hear that it works well. Somewhere around here is a link to the InterMedia WIP story where the animator talks about using FFD on a seascape mesh. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

arLutiK
03-26-2004, 08:48 PM
did anybody tried seascape by digimation?

pogeybait
03-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Okay, sorry I didnt make my previous post more clear. The seascape mesh is part of Dreamscape. It is the mesh that is used by Dreamscape to create oceans. Like I said in my last post, just create an ocean using Dreamscape, apply a FFD modifier to the ocean mesh and play with the settings for the FFD to create your crest. Hope this helps.

saivie
03-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Try the plug "Splash". This plug creat a reaction between water and the motion.

AnD, I thank is Free.

GraphixMage
04-03-2004, 05:23 PM
hey guys, read this thread and thought u might be intereted in this site. it helped me alot.
Just scroll down and u should be fine.
http://www.xenomorphic.co.uk/education.htm

metick
04-05-2004, 10:24 AM
great:thumbsup:

ambas
04-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Kazuya Mochu
make a plane, with lots of segmentes... say... 100x100
than apply a space warp wave
than a noise
than another big wave for extra organicity

play arowund with it!

take care
sorry but how do u apply the space warp wave to the plane?

reanimate
04-18-2004, 01:45 AM
can i have the wave tutorial:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.