PDA

View Full Version : nesting layers sucks

hardimage
02-05-2004, 03:44 PM
you know why?

because it doesn't preserve the alpha's and you loose the particular blend modes of each layer when you want to group those layers together. what's the deal?

and also if you've got some keyframe animation on some layers and then want to make a global scale animation it doesnt work. because it sets the key after the last keyframe animation you did and you cant make global keyframes (layered keys). only if you nest layers, then you can set new ones on it. but as i said above, i cant use it since i loose my blending modes. and yes, i checked on the "preserve alphas".

Chris
02-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Well when you nest it outputs the nested layers through a composite node, which can only ever output 1 set of RGBA channels (so you can only have 1 transfer mode from all that.

For what you are trying to do though, you should be parenting all the layers you want to move 'globally' to a Null Object, then animate that. Nests arn't right for what you want to do (They dont actually suck, I use them constantly - just for different things)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.