PDA

View Full Version : Animation: In-Game Character

Onions
02-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi, this is the first time that I've posted for a critique, so please go easy on me (if you can). Thanks.

I'd like opinions on this animation here...

http://nickbusby.dcnhub.com/animations/HitHead.mov

What I used: 3D Studio Max and it's key framing for the animation.

This is my first attempt (or one that succeeded) in rigging and skinning a model in a "professional" way (or the ways I've read from tutorials). In that I mean it consists of one mesh, one texture, and bones that effect the mesh without any deformation of structure, other than what I had intended (for a while I could not get the bones to effect my mesh correctly...).

Anyway, I animated every single bone throughout the animation in hopes of giving it more life. Is this something advisable? I think it worked well, but I know I'm no expert on key framing, knowing all that's available and the ins and outs, so there was a ton of key frames in my animation making it very hard to edit if I wanted to. I assume more experienced people have some other way of doing this and making it less "cluttered".
If there's any simple answer to this I'd appreciate it explained (or if you have the time to explain something not that simple, that's fine too).

Thanks for your comments and/or input.

Maive
02-06-2004, 10:28 PM
hehehe cute http://humlink.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~chanj/panda.gif

CGmonkey
02-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Well I would've adviced you not to keyframe every bone when moving you're character. It would probably be wise in an idle stance so it doesn't look too static.

His movements are a bit "rubberish" and too fluid. If you're on alert (as he seems to be) you're going to be very tensed. And unless you're hit by a tank your head are not going to bounce back that hard(or his head weighs too much for his bodytype:P) try to pull some weight down on the hit.

I'm no veteran when it comes to animation but you can either take my cirisism or ignore it :) I'm just trying to help out.

On a further note, I think it's an awesome first try to be serious. I wish I did this good at my first serious try. You got a good starting foundation. Keep up the great work mate!

Onions
02-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Any others have any opinions?

And on a very side note: I didn't want to post about this, or didn't know where to, but I was wondering if there are any good sites like CG Talk around, but for programmers.

I'd like to team up to work on a game, but I just can't ever find any programmers. The only place so far has been Gamedev... but it seems like it's full of back biting kids and not like what I've seen here on CG Talk.

So if anyone stumbling into this thread knows any place like that, I'd appreciate a link.

CGmonkey
02-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Have you searched on CGTalk? beacuse we have a forum about game development programming here. :)

Dargon
02-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by CgMonkey
Well I would've adviced you not to keyframe every bone when moving you're character. It would probably be wise in an idle stance so it doesn't look too static.

Actually, I think I'll disagree. I'd actually call it a golden rule to animate every bone in a body. In nearly any movement you can make with your body, it sends reprocussions throughout the rest of your body, like the shifting of weight, shock vibrations, involontary movements...

In addition, in tradional animation (the term we use to differenciate between hand animated and motion captured) the trick is to use all the smaller movements to accentuate the big ones.

I used to teach computer animation for a living, and it comes down to the same rules and tips that are used for 2D animation. Here's a couple of links to read up on the 12 principles of animation, the 12 most important ideas to keep in mind while animating.

12 principles (http://www.hwcn.org/~ab323/als/animating/12princ.htm)

CGNetworks 12 principles (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1429&page=1)

In addition to this, I'll give a hint. don't animate all the bones all at once. Block in the animation with just the major ones, play with the function curves to give it the right amount of "snap" to the animation, and then work your way down to intermediates like wrists, neck, feet, and then down to fingers, etc. Also, consider adding some geometry like hair, a feather, or antena to help exagerate movements.

Finally, (I've been going on for ages here) if this is for professional game animation, you'll want to make all your animations play from a default pose, and be completly seperate, and loopable. So a walk cycle, crouch and head hit should be 3 seperate animations, that can be looped and blended as nessessary for the game.

Onions
02-08-2004, 03:30 PM
CgMonkey, I obviously didn't look that good, lol. I do see two boards near the bottom about programming. To tell the truth, when I asked that I wondered "didn't I see a board similar to that here on CG Talk?". But... I was too lazy to go and check. lol. I'll maybe post about something there soon.

Dargon, thanks for the help. I had originally planned to include hair on that character, but decided not to as I would have had to add new bonework to it (and doing this takes a while since I'm still new to it), and I was trying to get my site up soon, which it is a part of.
And about the looping of animations for in-game characters; I knew about that (as I've done it before for 2D rendered sprites) but thought I'd just skip it, as I mainly wanted to show a scene of animation rather than a loop. I do plan to add some though. And already have 2 on my site of other characters (although I couldn't get an option to loop my mov file while streaming over the net).

Again, thanks for all of y'alls help.

jipe
02-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Onions
And on a very side note: I didn't want to post about this, or didn't know where to, but I was wondering if there are any good sites like CG Talk around, but for programmers.

I'd like to team up to work on a game, but I just can't ever find any programmers. The only place so far has been Gamedev... but it seems like it's full of back biting kids and not like what I've seen here on CG Talk.

So if anyone stumbling into this thread knows any place like that, I'd appreciate a link.

Head over to www.flipcode.com and check it out..

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.