PDA

View Full Version : Thumbnails

name
02-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Kind of a stupid question but...for some reason all of a sudden I can't view any .psd thumbnails...in explorer or photoshop itself...I was wondering if anyone had any idea if there was just some setting or something I might have set by accident or what? I could view them fine up until the other day.It's kind of annoying because I need the visual representation of the file to know what t is before I open it...I can use the file browser inside PS but I'd still like to see thumbs in explorer.TIA

btw...this is only .psd files.

halo
02-05-2004, 10:11 AM
photoshop CS?

turning on maximise compatability when you save them.

wolver1ne
02-05-2004, 10:13 AM
I assume you use Photoshop CS. In this version thumbnails aren't supported with Windows Explorer.

However, you can fix that by installing Photoshop 7 and then CS. Photoshop 7 will install a psicon.dll in Common Files/Adobe folder and add some registry entries. If you look up on the net, you might find how to do it manually.

wolver1ne
02-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Ok, apparently all you need is just psicon.dll. If you can get that, simply copy it to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell" and it will work just fine. It appears that the needed registry keys are all there (look up "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}" to be sure).

name
02-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Wow...how gay of Adobe. I'm sick and tired of software companies trying to control what I do with MY computer...If I don't want to use PS's file browser I shouldn't have to...

//end of whine...

Thx for the tip Wolverine...i got that file from a friend that runs 7 still so I'm gonna try it here in a sec.

name
02-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Ok...i figured out that you do have to add some registry entries to get this to work. I made a .reg file so all you have to do is double click and add to registry...I put the reg file I made and the psicon.dll and some brief instructions together if anyone else is interested pm me and I'd be more than happy to send it your way.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.