PDA

View Full Version : Simulations:particles, dynamics, Maya, Houdini, C++, Java

Baq
02-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Hello everyone!

I got a one big problem. I wanna focus on simulations: dynamics, particles, etc, but first I don't know which software is better for that: Houdini or Maya and second I don't know which language to learn: Java or C++.

I got some experience with both: Java and C++, and I use Maya about 10 months. I think Maya got great dynamics and particles.

I also installed Houdini few days ago and it looks soooo powerfull.

I know that Maya got MEL. Is it sufficient to only learn MEL?

I'm waiting for professional advices.

p.s
What got better future?

Greetz

EricChadwick
02-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Well I can only provide some second-hand advice, but I hear Houdini is more powerful since you can go all the way down into its guts so to speak. But perhaps because of this, it has a steeper learning curve, less GUI, needing scripting skills for just about anything of substance.

Houdini does seem to be popular in the film/tv graphics houses, because of this customizability, but then again so is Maya.

Not much info, but your post was looking so lonely...

Baq
02-05-2004, 03:40 PM
hey Posm!

thnx for info,

better this than nothing :-)

M-J
02-05-2004, 03:55 PM
As for programming language you should go for C++ because both SDKs are C++ APIs (at least Maya's SDK is and I guess Houdini's as well). Therefore all examples are in C++. Maya e.g. comes with ALOT of examples about almost anything you can do with the SDK. Just have a look at the developer's kit documentation :-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.