PDA

View Full Version : The FX tree

Cab
01-24-2002, 02:52 PM
Ok... Since the FX tree is not only one of the coolest features in XSI, but also something on which they will concentrate a lot of resources on developing, I thought we should maybe spend a bit of time discussing it... Personally, I think it is a great tool, even though it has some irritating pimitations when you work with high resolution format. But the FX tree incorporated into XSI is a feature that finaly helps multi disiplinary artists acheive the look they want without having to exit the software they are using... So... What do you think??? Did you encounter any problems with it?

EdHarriss
01-24-2002, 03:41 PM
I think it's great! Since I started using 2.0, I have not needed any other piece of software, except for Photoshop to do my work. Since it works inside of XSI, there is no wasted time hunting down files and it can link to anything in your scene with just a few clicks. It also It supports 8, 16 and 32bit depth, (which most compositors donít) allowing you the flexibility to output to just about any medium. Not to mention that itís fully scriptable. (thatís really nice) For what some might call a ďversion 1.0Ē compositor I think itís great. Of course one of the best parts about it is that you donít have to buy a compositor if you have XSI. (Thus saving you thousands of dollars.)

Cab
01-24-2002, 04:26 PM
Yeah... The scriptable thing is great... Did you try this one: Gram a box blur, then, drag the second button onto the first one... They will automatically be linked so that when you move the first one, the second one moves with it. Then, you can link the first slider to your 3d camera, give it some distance variables, and the pass will be blurred according to the camera distance...

One of the frustrating aspects of it is that you can't resize higher than 1024x1024... When the format of the show youre working on is larger than that... it can become a problem. But, apparently, this is not a code limitation... It's the tool sliders that were set this way... should be fixed fast enough...

EdHarriss
01-24-2002, 05:38 PM
What version are you using? I'm using 2.0.1 and I'm able to resize up to 2048 x 2048. Perhaps you need the upgrade?

It's free, you know. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.