PDA

View Full Version : Character: Not so innocent...

Drumwhore
02-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Started this today.. It's supposed to be a trashy-cartoony-evil-but-semi-innocent-looking-cyborg-girlie wearing a chinese dress and hiding a chainsaw.. :)
I spent too much time trying to make the body look right, but I still think there's something wrong with it.. Any feedback would be very appreciated :)

Here's a (very) rough sketch, but you get the idea:
http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP01.jpg

Kirt
02-05-2004, 01:36 AM
I think the problem is that you're putting adult propotions into her torso area. The hip and breast placement indicates a much more mature character (although she would have feet attached directly to her thighs). By re-situating the hip higher you'll get a child's proportions.

Also, the feet do look like little prunes or something sticking out of her dress. I'd shorten the dress a bit so you can actually see that they are feet, and position at least her left foot to the right more (so that the balance of the character isn't off).

Aside from that, it looks promising. Love the skull face and hair.

Drumwhore
02-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Kirt: thanks a lot for your help :) I followed your advice, and I think it looks a bit better now :) I'll increase the size of the chainsaw too, I think its size is misleading.. but I'll do that tomorrow :)
Is there still something to rework before goin on?
http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP02.jpg

Kirt
02-05-2004, 04:57 AM
I originally saw the lines on her arm and chest as stitches, but I guess they are her sleeve and neck openings of her dress?

I guess they're just a bit odd for a little girl. I can't recall seeing a t-shirt like sleeve on a dress and the neckline would probably reveal her nipple if it was that low. I don't know how much you want to shock the viewer ... so, I'll just leave it at that.

Good work on the changes so far. Looking forward to your next update (with mass-murder-sized chainsaw).

Ivars
02-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey Drumwhore, I really like the expression in her face. Good job, and the new proportions looks much better :)
Kirt: I think sheīs wearing one of those asian style dresses, with a high collar.... didnīt know how to explain so I did this little quick drawing...... (if itīs ok with you Drumwhore)
Am I right?

http://www.popcom.nu/3d/dress.jpg

Just read your first post again: "wearing a chinese dress"

sorry for rambling :)

Drumwhore
02-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Yes Ivars, you're right :) it's suppsoed to be this kind of dress, but the model with a bit longer sleeves :) like this one:

http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_REF01.jpg

Drumwhore
02-05-2004, 11:20 PM
I changed my mind about the chinese dress.. I think she'll look more childish with a bunny pyjamas and furry slippers, and it fits better with the subject :)
btw, I'm taking notes and screenshots to write a making of/tutorial with it :)
I tried to start the lineart using the rough sketch but it wasn't precise at all... So I made a rough lineart, and now I'm gonna clean it :)
I also increased its size to 12x17 inches print size.

http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP03.jpg

mariana
02-05-2004, 11:51 PM
congatulations!!!

I like it very much and the evoluation was very very good, i hope someday.....

I just think that you have a problem with arm, shollder, and pyjama, I think the sleev is not well positioned, itīs only my opinion

I love the details :)

keep working, Iīm looking forward to your next update

mariana

Drumwhore
02-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Thanks =)
I see what you mean, It might be the fold of the sleeve which can give the impression that it just ends there, and the arm continues behind.. I admit it's not very aesthetic :) will try to fix that :)

Alice
02-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Isnt that a grown up persons teeth?
A kid in that age, one would imagine, would be in the middle of loosing the babyteeth, having pretty largeteeth and maybe, a fronttooth missing?

coCoKNIght
02-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Alice: maybe they're not her own :-D

Stu_Hacking
02-07-2004, 10:27 PM
aww, wow...the enlarged chainsaw really works wonders

I like the way this is going.

Alice
02-07-2004, 10:42 PM
maybe so, but it takes away a big part of the child-like apperance.

Drumwhore
02-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Hmm let's say as she's a cyborg girl, she's not supposed to lose her teeth unless there is a mechanical defect :)
In fact I just think that if I draw her teeth bigger, she'll get some kind of dumb/goofy look.. :) or maybe too cartoony?

Thanks for the comments :)

schmu_20mol
02-08-2004, 05:06 PM
i really like what you got so far... keep it up

Stu_Hacking
02-08-2004, 05:49 PM
in regards to the teeth

would it help if the teeth weren't drawn from side to side, maybe drawing less teeth and enlarging them ever so slightly would help?

as in real life, the teeth are not in a single row across the front, maybe this is what makes it look odd?

not sure if this makes total sense :-/

Drumwhore
02-09-2004, 03:30 AM
Do the teeth look that weird? I'll play a bit with them in photoshop to see if i can improve their look..
Anyway, here's what i've got so far: the clean lineart :)

http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP04.jpg

coCoKNIght
02-09-2004, 05:02 PM
bah, teeth are good, but why don't you make a child teeth version to compare?

Stu_Hacking
02-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Teeth are good :) - I changed my mind

considering the title is "not so innocent" I think they'll go through :)

beside..maybe they aren't her teeth -_-

Drumwhore
02-10-2004, 02:11 AM
I think i'll not change the teeth.. tried both suggestions, but doesn't look very good.. I'll just leave them as they are, in fact I like them this way :)
I just started coloring, the face was really fun to paint :) next step: the hair...
here's the cutie:

http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP05.jpg

fatzombie
02-10-2004, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Drumwhore
I think i'll not change the teeth.. tried both suggestions, but doesn't look very good.. I'll just leave them as they are, in fact I like them this way :)
I just started coloring, the face was really fun to paint :) next step: the hair...

I love this piece. I check cgtalk regularly specifically hoping you update the image. Nice job so far!

Kirt
02-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Stu_Hacking
beside..maybe they aren't her teeth -_-
My thoughts as well. I figured they were 'borrowed' from one of her victims. The stitches on her face also made me believe she was wearing a mask anyway.

Looking good Drumwhore!

Drumwhore
02-13-2004, 01:38 AM
steele3d: thanks! that's cool :D

kirt: hmm.. i'll just let anyone think whatever he/she wants about her :)

here's a little update, i'm currently painting (or trying to paint?) the hair, the left part is more detailed but I still have to work on it.. Hair strands are not very visible when scaled down.. If you have any suggestion it will be greatly appreciated :)

http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP06.jpg

W!zard
02-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Man, this looks GREAT so far, cant wait to see finished piece! Best regards!

Drumwhore
02-16-2004, 01:52 AM
Hehe thanks for your comment :D

Here's another update..
http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP07.jpg

schmu_20mol
02-16-2004, 11:30 AM
I really like how this piece turns out...

just one thing ... the arm lacks the diversity you find in the face - regarding the colors.... I can't point out what would give it a little 'kick' but it needs one imho...

j_mac
02-16-2004, 04:51 PM
very cool .

Drumwhore
02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks :) For the colors, it's maybe because i'm working in CMYK.. ? Hope the blood will give them that kick :) (and the arm is now more diversified).. Else I'll play with the levels etc.. :)

Here we go :) next step: the background.

http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP08.jpg

iDio is Me
02-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Wow, and so beautiful, she has the look of a cute little yet strong battle-axe... keep it up, I want to see the background and when it is done!

monkeygroove
02-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Your work is amazing. I like the juxtaposition with the little girl night gown, and all the blood. I two would like to see it with a background. What is your final goal for this character, just the are, or some king of comic?

schmu_20mol
02-16-2004, 09:16 PM
great.... yeah that was the kick I was looking for ... this could be a great poster when you're finished

mariana
02-16-2004, 09:54 PM
spectacular !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

itīs the only thing i can say!

waiting for the background.......

mariana

Stu_Hacking
02-16-2004, 11:05 PM
heeheeheehhee

this is fantastic I love it

/me continues giggling

georgh
02-17-2004, 08:02 AM
phsycho looking .............I like

rljetsetradio
02-17-2004, 08:45 AM
it might look good if the circle above one of her eyes had a slant inside of it as if it were a screw. i think it needs some shadding buti like the character so far. id kinda like to see it in some more tattered clothes and the chainsaw a bit worn(used)

Hunkasaurus
02-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Damn
what a great picture!!!!! good coloring job in photoshop, but i have to know...how did u do your lineart to make it that clean? pencil or in photoshop?
cool job

Drumwhore
02-17-2004, 11:01 PM
idio is me, schmu20_mol, mariana, stu_hacking, juju: thanks a lot for your comments :D

monkeygroove: thanks :) the final goal of this character was just this pic, but i've been thinking for a few days about making a comic with her.. the problem is that i never seriously did any comic, and i don't know exactly how to do, etc.. and knowing myself, i think i'll do 2 or 3 pages, then stop it :) i'll see.. :)

rljetsetradio: hmm yeah, I initially wanted to add her some kind of feature, then I changed my mind and forgot to erase this circle.. :) tried to put a screw, but it looks weird.. :) or maybe I need some time to get used to it..

hunkosaurus: thanks :) lineart was done in photoshop, but the character is about 3500 pixels high, and I tried to make it look the best i could even in hi-res. so when it's shrinked down, it looks clean :) if you want i'll post some close-ups :)

I added some volume to the blood on the chainsaw, don't know if it's better.. as for the background, i'm kinda stuck... :/

http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP09.jpg

bluemagicuk
02-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Love it !!!!
Great job on the shadowing and light sourcing.
A few minor suggestions- It would be nice to see some more
rippling in the water and you could reflect the chainsaw in the
blood without too much hassle.
No idea what to do with the bg tho :shrug:

rattlesnake
02-18-2004, 12:23 AM
it is just an amazing work!!, love the style and the concept, this is amazing, if u create a comic i definetily will be your fan #1, congratulations man!

rljetsetradio
02-18-2004, 01:02 AM
for some reason i kinda picture her being in a barn or rural area some kinda place that ed gein might be in. some delapidated house that looks like only one person live there. wooden floor with a small rug and old skool curtains like have a few things in the background make ti look like the person livving there wanted to make their dwelling apealing but have the condition of the floor wall and ceiling make it so that it really wasnt. sounds wierd but i kinda go into stories abotu things sometimes.

Drumwhore
02-19-2004, 03:53 PM
blue magic: hehe thanks, you're the man :) good idea for the reflection :) but I think the rippling will add too much detail in the blood and just distract from the girl..

rattlesnake: thanks a lot :D I'm still thinking about the comic.. I'll keep u informed :)

rljetsetradio: good idea, but lots of work in perspective.. If I have time, I'll maybe try it if I have time :)

I reduced the amound of blood too, changed the bg color and I'm also playing a bit with the colors of the hair.. :)
If it doesn't miss the background too much, I think I'll leave it as is :) (I know, gradient + compression isn't the most beautiful thing in the world :))

http://users.skynet.be/am272566/NSI_WIP10.jpg

georgh
02-19-2004, 05:06 PM
holy cow...........thatīs sick...........but looks cool........

where did u get the idea for this?? know any crasy kids??

schmu_20mol
02-19-2004, 06:04 PM
nice improvement ...tough imho she looks better with the purple hair

grafi
02-19-2004, 08:36 PM
I love it!!! great style and I really like the way you put all the blood together and everything.

Stu_Hacking
02-19-2004, 09:52 PM
wow, that's excellent

I like the way you considered reflections and light hitting the blood :)

Drumwhore
02-20-2004, 03:12 PM
juju: hopefully not :) I mean not THAT crazy :) lol just got the idea when doodling.. :)

schmu20_mol: I changed it back to purple :)

grafi, stu_hacking: thanks :D

Ok the final image is available here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124217), in the finished section. Thanks to all of you for your commens and your help!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.