PDA

View Full Version : Animating walking

SeaQuake
06-28-2002, 08:59 AM
Hi all

I am starting to learn XSI on my own, and I am really loving it...

I have been trying to animate a character walking, starting from a walk cycle.
Alright, if I create a walk cycle, I would parent the skeleton to a null that I would animate sliding back. That way, I end up with a walk-in-place cycle. I don't think that's the best way to do it though..Is there a better way to create a walk-in-place cycle??

Now for the real question...All the tutorials that ship with XSI talk about creating and animating a walk-in-place cycle...What if I wanted the character to move around??? Of course, I can make it move manually, but can I create a forward motion by cycling a walk-in-place motion in the mixer??? That has been bugging me for a few days, and I would appreciate it if someone had an answer...

BTW, I think it would be equally important for institutions like Cumbria to produce CD's on Animating a character rather than just building the rig (in case they haven't already..)

Thanks

Atyss
06-28-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by SeaQuake

BTW, I think it would be equally important for institutions like Cumbria to produce CD's on Animating a character rather than just building the rig (in case they haven't already..)

Thanks

CDs 5 and 6 shows how to animate the walk-cycle.

I recommend that you read some books on the subject, because explaining a walk-cycle can be tedious (though I'm sure some kind souls here wouldn't mind explaining it to you).

Other than that I have tutorials here that use a good technique to animate walk-cycles (both on place and moving):
http://membres.lycos.fr/grimoireinterdit/tutorials.html
Check the Ski serie.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Atyss
06-28-2002, 05:01 PM
Now that I'm thinking about it, you can animate a looping walk-cycle (a non-moving one) and move the top null forward, so it becomes a looping walk-cycle that moves. I did that for a school project and it worked very well.

The only limitation is that the ground must be flat, and it's not a good idea to show the walk-cycle without cut for more than 2 or 3 seconds.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

ggg
06-28-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by SeaQuake
Hi all

Now for the real question...All the tutorials that ship with XSI talk about creating and animating a walk-in-place cycle...What if I wanted the character to move around??? Of course, I can make it move manually, but can I create a forward motion by cycling a walk-in-place motion in the mixer??? That has been bugging me for a few days, and I would appreciate it if someone had an answer...

-create your cycle (walking in place as if on a treadmill, not forward)
-make it an action and repeate/cycle it as a clip in the mixer,
-and then, as atyss says, animate the pos and rot of the top null for forward motion, or at least one null above the hierarchy of the parts stored in action that will move the entire char and was not stored in the action.
-Then to tweak it speeding up and slowing down use the time warp on clip and then come back and place feet etc properly for turns etc using offset or action key.
-Much more complex but one also can do this last part using a script on leg and arm effectors to adjust to the rot of the parent null so they place properly as well as hip lean, but perhpas Soft will get the stuff from Motivate in there soon so this will be automated (not too automated, max character studio is cool but...)

SeaQuake
06-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the replys...

Atyss, I am not looking for a way to create a walk cycle, but thanks for the link anyway...
The reason I asked the question is this:
Back in MAX, using the Block controller (a precursor of NLA) I could create one FORWARD cycle (not in place), and duplicate a few other cycles...Now the trick was that I could have a RELATIVE offset of each step with respect to the one before. That way, the character could very well walk forwardby combining a number of steps...
That was the FIRST feature I looked for when I started with the animation mixer...In ohter words, there should be an option to RELATIVELY offset cycles of the same action...For instance, if an action is moving a box for 10 units over 10 frames, cycling this action RELATIVELY should keep the box going forward instead of going back to the original position with each cycle...

If anybody knows how to do this IN THE MIXER AND NOT WITH FUNCTION CURVES, please let me know, coz I already know how to do it with function curves....

Thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.