PDA

View Full Version : batching PNGs?

TheWriter
02-04-2004, 06:27 AM
This has been bugging me for a while. I just want to edit my png files, and resave them under the same names.

I seem to be only able to:

#1. Save with right name, but only in psd format.

#2. Get the right format, but it adds the text " copy" at the end.

I"ve tried all kinds of tricks but to no avail.

So i'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about. I just cant seem to get batch processing saving my images under the same name & format when done running the action.

halo
02-04-2004, 09:23 AM
it will add copy if the file you are working on has information such as channels layers etc that the target format doesnt support....so perhaps try and remove them first to avoid the copy "feature"

wolver1ne
02-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Do you use Save As > Format: PNG?

It should work.

Edit: hmm.. just tried and it doesn't seem to be working afterall...

You can try using Save for Web then. Although after each save you will be prompted with a msg to replace the image.

TheWriter
02-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Ok thaks halo that seems to be the prob. I got rid of my background layer and now everything works all OK?

You would think PS could of been smarter. Oh well. Problem solved now.

halo
02-05-2004, 11:14 AM
yeh, dont worry...pratically every PS user screamed at adobe for being so daft as to put it in v7...i dont know if they changed it in cs, because force of habit now makes me strip everything out beforehand to avoid it.

Save for web will do the same but for large files its a pain because of the speed issue.

I have a link somwhere for a script to strip channels, ill find it and post it.

TheWriter
02-05-2004, 04:50 PM
The problem with saving for web format, is it makes you're image palletised. And textures for gaming dont work very well at all when palletised.

wolver1ne
02-05-2004, 05:21 PM
If you are saving PNG using Save for Web or Save As then it's all the same.

halo
02-05-2004, 06:41 PM
careful with save for web, it can change the DPI of your file to 72 (NB not resize it it 72) and strip your profile out of the file depending on your prefs.

wolver1ne
02-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Here's a script to remove all but component channels.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.