PDA

View Full Version : Lip_Sync needs crit's

kassun
02-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Here is my first lip_sync. I am moving on to the animation/Acting portion of my demo reel. I purchased "Stop Staring", It has been a terrific resource. Comments and crits appreciated. Animated in a few hours. Created in Maya 5.0.

update_below

Thanks for your time,
Kassun

mattmos
02-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Timing's pretty good, and the use of the curves to give it some snap works well, but I think you're missing some of the shapes needed to form the phonemes, either that or they need to be exaggerated greatly.

It's very hard to tell anything looking at this though, without the rest of the body, or in the case head, acting first. Number one bit of advice from me is animate the body before the lips - what looks right from a straight on view like this could look completely wrong from another angle.

Good start though ;-)

kassun
02-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks mattmos, I always figured that the lip sync is done first rather than last. Here is some blocking I did today for the animation.

:: UPDATE BELOW ::

Thanks for your time,
Kassun

Kanga
02-06-2004, 02:23 AM
Hi Kassun

I dunno I like to do the lip work first also because I find it easier to move the rest around to compliment the situation and the dialogue afterwards. It seemed a bit like he was 'talking through his teeth' what you do when you are controled angry,.. er tense. Do the lips protrude when he give a W form? If so it might seem more relaxed. I always do 3/4 views top and bottom to see that protrusion.

Greetings Kanga

mattmos
02-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Well, I guess it's down to what feels comfortable to you, it's just advice that I found works for me.

Just checked out the blocking, and like kanga says, I think you need to consider how the dialogue is being delivered more. Christopher Walken is whispering most of it, so the gesturing that you are doing at the moment is completely at odds with his delivery. To make the dialogue work from that distance there would have to be another character in the scene listening to him.

The best thing to do I think would be to have a medium close up shot, and have the character deliver to the camera. I think this is what happens in Mouse Hunt, and while I wouldn't say to copy it action for action, you need that starting point. Always animate to the camera...

kassun
02-07-2004, 11:45 PM
re-worked the blocking in. I think it looks better now and fits unlike the one previous. Comments appreciated. I still have to add a little kitten in the foreground listening in.:)

:: UPDATE BELOW ::

Kassun

Kanga
02-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Ok lookin good

Do the corners of his mouth move, like when you say 'W'and 'O'? Are his lips protruding with the phonemes, otherwise you get a muppet effect, often this is enough but I am not sure what you are after.

Greetings Kanga

kassun
02-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Here is a better idea of the audience he is talking to :). Just blocked it in and now I am reworking some of the poses.

crits/comments appreciated.

:: updated below ::

Thanks for your time,
Kassun

AlbertArt
02-09-2004, 05:55 AM
You should really accent the "W's" "M's" and hold them for a few more frames to give it more punch. Head tilts would be a good place to start off.

3rd Dimentia
02-09-2004, 10:39 PM
I've only looked at the first test so excuse me if you've rendered it differently in other tests. When I test lip sync, I generally render with lights and shadows 'cause the inside of the mouth and teeth can look strange and distracting when checking lip sync. One part that jumps out to me as feeling off is when he says "need" Have a look at yourself inthe mirror when saying this. I'm pretty sure you'd hold the shape quite a bit more than what you have there. Maybe hit the shape and over a few frames just push it that little bit more to create a moving hold.

Louie
02-11-2004, 04:20 AM
just wondering how the book "stop staring" was, im starting a facial animation myself and i need a good book to start me off...

thanks
louie

mattmos
02-11-2004, 05:52 PM
That's working a lot better. The body could do with some more dynamic poses, it's quite straight at the mo. For example when he is saying the first line he could be bent over talking to the kittens on the left, straighten up to pause, then address the others in turn. Rather than just using the arms to gesture try to use the whole body.

Looking forward to the progression...

kassun
02-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Louie: The books is well wrote and straight forward. I am very pleased with it. You won't be disappointed.

3rd Dimentia & AlbertArt: I will fix the lip_sync last, thanks for the heads up on what is out of place.

mattmos: I took a vid of my self for reference :) I did about 20 takes until I found what I was looking for. I took your suggestions to make them more dynamic. Thanks for the suggestion:)

I am in the process of refining the first 1/4 of the my animation. Disreguard the lipsync and facial blends, I will be doing them last. Comments and crits appreciated.

Just to note: I haven't adjusted any of the curves yet in this clip to give it some snap.

::update below::

Thanks for your time,
Kassun

kassun
02-12-2004, 10:03 PM
curves still need to be adjusted, comments and crits appreciated on the animation.

Thanks,
Kassun

kassun
02-13-2004, 07:08 PM
an update

lipsync and eye still need to be tweaked

kassun

mattmos
02-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Coming on... A couple of the arm movements seem late to me, particularly on 'want' and 'think' - perhaps bring the arm into place earlier and pause slightly before performing the action that's in time with the word? Just a suggestion...

kassun
02-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Mattmos: Took your suggestion and it makes a huge difference. I added some pauses in, cleaned up the back and head, shoulder and wrist movements. I need to fix the lip_sync in a few areas so it reads better. An I am ready to call it finished.

http://cassuns.home.mchsi.com/3d/alien/take_8.rar

Thanks for the help,
Kassun

kassun
02-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Here is the finished animation, let me know if I missed something. Crits appreciated.

http://cassuns.home.mchsi.com/3d/alien/take_9sm.avi

Thanks for your time,
Kassun

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.