PDA

View Full Version : Architecture & Vehicles:: Show Room + Exotic Supercars

PhantomDesign
02-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Click for 3636x2657
http://www.gryphonauto.com/Extra/Expose2-thumb.jpg (http://www.gryphonauto.com/Images/Vehicles/HiRes/004.jpg)

Comments welcome!!!

Pointless Disclaimer: The goal of this image is aesthetics, not realism.

TheFirstAngel
02-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Nice Show, Man! Keep it up!

:beer: :wavey: :buttrock:

ThirdEye
02-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Where are the shadows of the cars? :shrug:

kweechy
02-03-2004, 01:53 AM
Well, I think aesthetics are achieved through realism, I juts don't think the rendering techniques are advances enough to carry across the aesthetics, it looks just very kind of flavourless and sterile almost. I think if you had some HDRI lighting in there and worked on the car shaders some more you could get a really cool output of this scene, and I do respect how long it would take to render so maybe you deicded not to do it up all fancy because of that. I think you should invest the time though into this scene cause this would be a great splash screen for your website. Here's an image of my latest retro muscle car conept car, I think you'll see what I mean about how strong an image it is because of the lighting and shading time that I put into the scene:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120214

I think another thing that would help alot is to tone down the floor, it is too colorful and detracts from all the cars, go for a more grey floor I'd say.

Anyway sorry to seem all poo poo here, I jsut think it could have a lot more potential impact and a sense of awe than it does right now.

Bright Devil
02-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Hey,
it it allowed to put your picture in the Windows-background ?
If not im sry because i did it.
Bright Devil

PhantomDesign
02-03-2004, 05:14 AM
Where are the shadows of the cars?
Under the cars.

Angel
Thanks for the compliments angel!

kweechy
Interesting critique, however I see you used a simple non-existent environment and a simple HDRI reflection map, which is far from realism.

I'll stick to working on my more challenging route.

Bright Devil
Ill take this as a compliment.

THANKS for asking. I really do not mind at all. Just don't redistribute the pictures without asking.

PhantomDesign
02-03-2004, 06:11 AM
Another monstrous render (Expose II entry)

http://www.gryphonauto.com/Images/Vehicles/HiRes/005.jpg

kweechy
02-03-2004, 06:21 AM
Interesting critique, however I see you used a simple non-existent environment and a simple HDRI reflection map, which is far from realism.

I'll stick to working on my more challenging route.

Well, I think you may have missed my point. With my HDRI and final gathering and everything, the car really has some nice depth to it which I think is missing in your layout and contributes to the flat kind of dull feeling.

As far as a challenging route, I wouldn't personally consider it a challenge to put in a wooden floor and some ropes, a great challenge that I will be taking on in the near future is designing an amazing space in which to put my cars, like a Westley dealership if you will. Go crazy on the design, multiple levels, recessed areas, stairways of like 3-4 steps etc...

I think the problem is that it seems as though the cars have just been strewn about over this wooden floor in the middle of some gigantic building, it's lacking composition and the scene I don't feel is contributing to your cars. These cars you design and exotic, very expensive too I'd assume. I'd put them on a beautiful marble tile floor and to show how unique and special each car is, place each one in it's own set of ropes because I think now it just readds as a clump of cars and it makes the cars all sort of look the same. Maybe put you favorite ones on spinning pedastals or something like that. In its current state, lacking composition and depth and visual heirarchy and rationality, I don't really think it is Expose material, all I see is a bunch of cars on a wood floor.

I seriously don't mean any offense what so ever, I really am trying to help you out, if I didn't want to help, I just wouldn't write anything. I also don't belive that saying: Nice Show, Man! Keep it up! is helping anyone either. I am offering constructive criticism here so I jus hope you can objectively hear me out without taking it to heart. I'm a graphic design major so I do know a great deal about layout, composition, photography and all that good stuff and so I hope you'll maybe consider the things I say instead of just disregarding it like last time because my floor didn't havea texture or soemthing like that. Anyway, let me know what you think.

PhantomDesign
02-04-2004, 07:23 AM
I did a few specail effects to the paint & toched up the lighting some. I used my WIP vette as an example.

http://www.gryphonauto.com/Extra/C6/1-5-003.jpg

PhantomDesign
02-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Just messing around with lights.

http://www.gryphonauto.com/Extra/C6/1-5-004.jpg

AndreasMartin
02-04-2004, 01:33 PM
well...

your modelling is great, nothin to say about this. That you prefer super sport cars is also clear but you realy have to work on the visualization part of your work.

Have a look in the real world, look in the show room of your local car seller. Take a look at pictures of car motor shows, how they present their cars and try to get your renderings in this directions.

On your renderings i can see that you do not have a strong graphical background (the same can be seen on your webpage - colors do not match, etc.). So maybe try to achive realism with simple objects (just for the rendertime ;) ) and then apply this knowledge to your great car modells.

so keep it up and have a look outside your window for more realism

grettings C.

SpaXe
02-04-2004, 02:18 PM
wow good show!!

Keep on the lighting skill practicing!!....well they are great but the light and the scene are a little strange....maybe some blur on the back or the front is better, because the scene is quite large.

^_^I like it.

SpaXe
02-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Hey the back of the red car in the front has too much green pressed....turn it more white or shut it down!

ssyed
02-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Your cars DON'T look real they look plastic....what are you rendering with?The floor looks like the floor they used in REALLY old schools (linoleum w/ a wood pattern) it doesn't to justice to 500 000$ cars!!!!! your modelling skills are excellent...just add better textures /mats and lighting...use GI (tho it takes forever) or at least use a good renderer like mental ray or something....(what are you using now? ... it looks like some type of autocad renderer !!!! thats how bad)

kweechy
02-07-2004, 06:32 AM
SSyed, you basically have said what I was too worries about being PC to say, thanks man. Phantom man, listen to this guy, listen to me, you gotta think about the big picture, you don't put half mill cars on linoleum, you don't put any cars on linoleum fake woodgrain for that matter. The rendering do look like some simple autocad renderings, as I said before and I even provided you with an example of a car rendering I did which you brushed off because I didn't have some fake wood floor in it.

While I'm getting no doubt on your nerves, here goes, and, if I'm wrong and eveyrone disagrees I'll just shut up, but I find that your cars all look similar, I find they all look like run of the mill early 90's supercars, I personally see nothing distinct about any one of them, they all seem to have the same contours and body profiles and stances. Your modeling is very good, I will hand that to you for sure, your rendering and creative needs some improvement. Try and get creative, make something wild, make something retro, make something very original though, to me, these all seem like the same car give or take a headlight or a hood scoop or a side vent. Like I said, if I'm the only one who thinks that I'll just shut up.

I think the worst part is how unwilling you are to accept any criticism, anything we say can be disregarded due to reasons A, B, C. Clearly here, the mob hath spoken, great modeling, bad renders.. and IMO unimaginative designs... I think since this is a forum of professionals, maybe it would be worth your while to stop making excuses and retorts and really listening to what people have to say, after all, designing cars means desining for the people, if you don't listen to what the people want, you're not a very good designer then are you? When I sit down to start making a car and start off, I have a whole ring of great friends never unwilling to step on my toes and my final products show this quazi-collaborative effort. You need to listen, that's the real critique I suppose.

ThirdEye
02-07-2004, 12:33 PM
"use GI (tho it takes forever) or at least use a good renderer like mental ray or something..."

It's not a matter of GI or not, it's not a matter of HDRI or not, it's not a matter of Mental Ray or not, it's just a matter of lighting and compositing skills. While the modeling is almost flawless, the shading and the lighting are quite poor in all honesty, and i don't think it depends on the software in this case. The rope textures are stretched, the lighting is dull and the shadows are not realistic at all, it seems he used raytraced hard shadows.

"Interesting critique, however I see you used a simple non-existent environment and a simple HDRI reflection map, which is far from realism"

Who cares if it's realistic or not, this is cg and cg is all about cheating, this is not real world physics. Use whatever you can use to make your models and pics look good.

Novakog
02-08-2004, 05:17 AM
While I know you said the point was not realism, I still think it is something you should try to achieve in every image.

I've already told you this, but your models are very good, design also good, and renders... well... not so good; they look like Bryce (if they are Bryce, then forget everything my tips say and get yourself another renderer).

So here a few tips:

Fresnel: Your cars do have fresnel reflections, but it doesn't seem to work quiter right. It's too strong, some parts of your car are more reflective than they should be and some parts aren't as reflective as they should be.

Lighting: While the lighting in C6 render is better, there are many problems with the lighting. First of all, the shadows are way too hard and crisp, they need to be soft (though in the C6, this appears solved). Second of all, you're using an ambient light and/or ambience on the shaders. Unless you want an object to actually be glowing, never use ambience. Ever. Rather than using ambience, use some GI or radiosity. You're scene begs for it.

Car material: It appears as if your car has too bright a color value or too high diffuse or something. Notice how much the lighting actually affects the saturation of color. This should only be a minimal effect. Look, for instance, on the C6. Notice how much brighter red the hood is than the small section directly in front of the front wheel. That's the primary contribution to why some say your cars look like plastic. The actual brightness of the color value of a car paint should be something like .2 (where 1 is absolute red), where you're appears to be .8.

I don't know how well I explained all that, if you want I can PM you and talk to you about it more.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.