PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave --> XSI

Necropolis
06-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Hi,

Was looking for people out there that may have some experience with going from Lightwave to XSI. Our current pipeline is to model in Lightwave and do everything else in Maya. There has been somewhat of a shift here, and we are most likely moving from Maya to XSI. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this, specifically modeling in Lightwave and transferring to XSI to setup, animate, and render. Pretty much everything other then modeling. Also if you have experience with it, how have you felt it was working for you? Specifically with how well model data is read in XSI from Lightwave. Are there any glaring issues, or work arounds that are necessary? I understand that there is a need for a middle step to get a model from Lightwave into XSI, but that is true for our Lightwave to Maya step anyways. Just curious if anyone is doing this and how it is working.

Thanks in advance!

raffael3d
06-27-2002, 11:07 PM
I moved form lightwave to XSI. the experience so far is that you can export objects from lightwave to xsi using a plugin, BUT it's not possible to export subpatch models and you often get errors in the models. if it is a complicated model it can be hardly fixed (or you have to rebuild half of it)
for animation/scenes export is not yet a lot around. there is a thread about this at xsibase.com
.import/export (http://www.xsibase.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=genxsi;action=display;num=1021740945)
I realized that so far they don't work really together, but I might be wrong.

altough i'm very happy with lightwave I have to say that XSI is really amazing and in the future I plan to switch completely to xsi

Dan Wade
06-27-2002, 11:17 PM
Ayup. I have a plug that i got which does the job. I carnt say ive had any difficulties at all. You carnt have the object sub-patched...but thats ok...once you know how the model looks with sub-patched....just export the model out low polly and sub-div it in XSI to get the exact same result. Ive only been using lightwave for about 7 months and xsi about 2...but i think its quite clear that lightwave has the edge for moddeling. Tools like slicing and bandsaw are really missed in XSI. One thing i would say though....once you go highly polly in lightwave...and you want to make some serious changes....your screwed. There is no history at all, and proportional moddeling is also missing.

Necropolis
06-28-2002, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the replies guys I very much appreciate it. It sounds like it might be a bit more complex then the Lightwave --> Maya route. I have an odd question. Not having toyed with Lightwave or XSI very much, looks like I need to start getting my hands dirty right away, would there be any possible benefit from going Lightwave --> Maya --> XSI. Or am I adding an unneeded step. Currently we are running Lightwave for our modelers, and have been getting quick fantastic results with that. It has been rather easy then to bring that into Maya, for our setup and everything else. The powers that be have decided a shift from Maya to XSI is in order. Given the fact that we have Maya to work with do I gain anything from going that route. Does anyone have any experience with Maya <--> XSI?

Thanks again all!

Dan Wade
06-28-2002, 01:05 AM
The fact is, XSI and MAYA are the two big boys....and one thing that two big boys wont do is get along with each other! There are plently of cool tools for xsi and maya to other apps like LW, but there is almost nothing out there to conect the two, except maybe mesh formats...but animation is a no no. My mate has a brill plug that can export a model from LW into MAYA, then he can animate it and then send the animation back to LW to animate...but from what youve been saying...seems like this wont be much help. As for switching between all three,,,that seems crazy! I think since your dudes know lightwave for moddeling, i would just do it in that...then bring the models into XSI to animate/texture/sub-div. XSI actualy has the better animation tools over MAYA, so it seems your bosses know what they are on about!

Head over to xsifiles.com to get the free LW to XSI model convertor. it simply converts your .LWO into softimage HRC format so XSI can read them

Hope this helps.
Dan.

maxi
06-28-2002, 10:40 AM
SoftImage 3D Export
Short: Saves HRC files (geometry) for SoftImage
Cost: Free Application: Modeler
Platforms: Intel,
URL: http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/
Detail-(usually from author's website):
New: Supports Lightwave 6.5
Modeler plugin for converting polygon data from the modeler of LightWave 3D 6.0 to HRC files (geometry files) of SOFTIMAGE|3DTM.
Version 2.0 of this plug-in exports UV data and also (optionally) converts images to .pic format

raffael3d
06-28-2002, 11:10 AM
there is an open source project about a transfer between Maya and XSI, but it's not yet completed. So far I know both companies are not really willing to coopoarte witht the competitor....

wmendez
06-28-2002, 10:26 PM
I too have moved from LW to XSI and the transition is quite painless. Not like going from LW -->Max or Maya. The workflow of both apps are almost identical and as wade mention I was able to export a non metaformed object into XSI and when importing it ot XSI and converting it to subD's it looks the same as as LW's did when hitting the tab key. THe Hrc saver also retains surface names as well.

marton
06-29-2002, 08:20 AM
i'm making the transition from maya to xsi currently. the hard part for me has been the difference in interface, very tricky to come to terms with in xsi and i'm finding the amount of mouse clicks is huge in xsi. no right mouse button menu unless the alt key is used. i have yet to work out masses of stuff i found really easy to do in maya but perserverence is paying off ... slowly.

i hope that helps

Julez4001
07-02-2002, 05:39 AM
Painful...nope.
LW 2 XSI is fast and furious.
take your subpatch object
Hit tab - unnurb
export the aforemention plugin to HRC
import into XSI
hit the "+" ..boom look exactly like lw version with UVs.

I have learned though whatever the major UV is renamed it 001 or something like that as XSI reads in the first surface name by alphanuerical order and places the rest as clusters (which u can easily surface).

juanjgon
07-02-2002, 09:30 AM
I try dstorm plugin and it runs ok, but it is terrible slow for complex models ... i dont know if it is normal or i am missing something ...

I am new to XSI and i have a question ... what is faster method to re-import a revision of objetc created with LW into XSI without override object properties and materials of original item?

Thank you and regards,
JJ

Dan Wade
07-03-2002, 09:02 PM
How can i export anything from XSI to lightwave?
There doesn't seem to be a 3DS or DFX export option in softimage?

rotaryman
07-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by marton
i'm making the transition from maya to xsi currently. the hard part for me has been the difference in interface, very tricky to come to terms with in xsi and i'm finding the amount of mouse clicks is huge in xsi. no right mouse button menu unless the alt key is used. i have yet to work out masses of stuff i found really easy to do in maya but perserverence is paying off ... slowly.

i hope that helps

In the Main Control Panel, click on Select, and uncheck extended component selection.
This will make your mouse work more like maya
LMB = select
MMB = Toggle Selection
RMB = Context Sensitive Menu

You really find XSI more mouse intensive than Maya? Strange I find it the other way around

On the topic of modelling:
Lightwave truly is a swank modeling program, I've tried all the Majors and so far I have found, MY OPINION, XSI to be a better modelling program. Sure it doesn't have the knife tool, all those drill tools, and edgeloop selection. But it is a well concieved package, once you get an Idea what all the tools do you'll find yourself getting stuck less on toolset limitations but on artistic choices. Besides no package can beat XSI's sub-Ds.

marton
07-05-2002, 07:04 AM
rotaryman.

thank you, you've really helped me bigtime re the rmb stuff.

i did indeed find maya less mouse click intensive than xsi but with tips like the one you just gave me and as i progress i'm sure that won't remain the same. i find xsi a very rewarding package the more i stick at it. i mean, you can't beat the renderer and that was my main reason to go over to it, but as i use it more and more the modeling tools are also hard to beat. and i agree with you, the subD in xsi is fantastic. i am liking it more the more i use it.

again, thanks a heap.

Nebelis
07-05-2002, 08:47 AM
Hi guys...I'm a Lightwave user myself which I transfered to about a month after learning 3dMax...I just wanted to see what XSi was and I found this message. As XSi users I'm sure I know what your answers will be top my next question :)... I know for a fact that Lightwave's Renderer is One of the best there is. I just wanted to knwo what makes XSi's different from lightwave in that aspect.
I know why someone would go from Lightwave to XSi or any other program for animation needs but why for rendering?

Atyss
07-05-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Nebelis
I know why someone would go from Lightwave to XSi or any other program for animation needs but why for rendering?

It's not just the renderer, it's the way you interact with it (understand the Render Tree).

Bernard Lebel

rotaryman
07-05-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Nebelis
Hi guys...I'm a Lightwave user myself which I transfered to about a month after learning 3dMax...I just wanted to see what XSi was and I found this message. As XSi users I'm sure I know what your answers will be top my next question :)... I know for a fact that Lightwave's Renderer is One of the best there is. I just wanted to knwo what makes XSi's different from lightwave in that aspect.

Nebelis I'll try to answer your question to my best of knowledge, however with rendering packages it is limited, but I'll tell ya what I have been told.

Lightwave does have one of the sweetest renderers out there, partially due to it's massive bits per channel out put. Now one of my instructors told me that Lightwave uses 32bit per channel, that is a total of 128 bit. Hard to believe since most other renderes use 8bit per channel. But looking at the renders it provides and seeing absolutely no banding in the gradiants, I could believe it.

Now XSI has a sweet renderer too, only because they were smart not to make their own, and go with a industry proven package, Mental Ray. Which is available for other packages as a plugin, but with XSI it is fully integrated, even in the render region. Plus it has a broad feature set that you basically can do anything you want unlike other stock renders such as Maya.

Of course if money is no issue, any package can have a toosh-kickin renderer, Plugins like Renderman for Maya, Brazil for Max, Arnold for Lightwave, and lets not forget Entropy.

I wish I could go a bit more in detail, however I am still learnin, but I am pretty sure if ya surf around these forums you can find enough dirt on each rendering package.

Just my 2 cents in

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.