PDA

View Full Version : Pixelated Text

dude9er
02-02-2004, 05:09 PM
So I've done an image in Photoshop at 300 dpi. It's been taken to a professional print shop and the proof shows that the type is pixelated at the edges. I've done some research on this site and have tried the technique of doing the type in Illustrator and then bringing it into Phototshop and then adding my drop shadow. But it looks the same as before.

How do I go about getting that vector like type for printing purposes and applying dropshadows in PS?

I saved my type file from illustrator as a photoshop file and then brought it into the rest of my image. Photoshop has pixelated it.

Any suggestions on how to do this and make a excellent quality print? even had antialiasing on in Photoshop. What the heck?

Thanks.

singularity2006
02-03-2004, 09:51 PM
You're going to be very hard pressed to get a smooth font in photoshop because regardless of your resolution, everything is still bit mapped based. I would suggest just doing your layout directly in illustrator. I mean sure, you can get the thing close to clean in photoshop, but it won't be the same as a fully vectorized piece of work in illustrator.

dg
02-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Silly question but have you tried the AA options for your text?

http://dgmedia.port5.com/tips/ps_text_aa.gif

See ya,
dg

Rapier
02-04-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
You're going to be very hard pressed to get a smooth font in photoshop because regardless of your resolution, everything is still bit mapped based. I would suggest just doing your layout directly in illustrator. I mean sure, you can get the thing close to clean in photoshop, but it won't be the same as a fully vectorized piece of work in illustrator.

In Illustrator, when you use certain filters, does not Illustrator rasterize the text before applying the filter? If so, the rasterizing may still be a problem.

One possible solution would be to know EXACTLY where your drop shadow will lay, and then use the original vectored text as a template to erase the unwanted blur, since the blur is less likley to show rasterization.

Or, could he move up to 6oo dpi and have a smaller problem?

anim8r3d
02-04-2004, 05:06 AM
What version of Photoshop are you using? Starting with, I think, PS 6, Photoshop began dealing with text as a vector, until resterized.
Another possibility... I noticed that you said you're saving your Illustrator text as a Photoshop document. Did you look in the Export settings to see what you've got the export resolution set to? Default is Medium (150 dpi).
Additionally, check your printer settings... If you haven't got it set to Production quality, it may be sabotaging your print from the get-go... Some companies don't hire people who know what they're doing. *cough* *cough* (kinko's) *cough*... You may wanna ask them the simple questions before blaming yourself.
Good luck.
-anim

Ian Jones
02-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Ultimately everything, including Vector has to at some stage become pixels. Printers use a RIP (Raster Image Processor) just before it goes to the final plate / or digital printer.

I have never had any problems with text in Photoshop. 300dpi never gave my text any problems at all, so as anim8r3d said... I think it may be the printers problem, not yours.

dude9er
02-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's very interesting to read and hear what people have to say. I've done my text in Illustrator, turned them into outlines, copied them and then pasted them into PS. Three options are available and it looks like I've chosen them to be vectoor outlines and filled with white. Hopefully this will solve the problem. It may very well be the printshops fault as well, as the guy I've been dealing with has been a bit of an ass.

May very well be the font I'm working with as well. May not print at a very good quality, though the print I made at home seems to be better then the proof from the shop. Can't compare because the client is in a different city. Good thing he's my brother.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.