02-02-2004, 05:34 PM
did this character
want to know what u guys think

cheers

http://mesh-inc.com/game/girl.jpg

maria

AdamAtomic
02-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Hi Maria - this isn't bad at all for a first try. I imagined you learned a lot while working on it - modeling, mapping, texturing, and so on. Here are some general pointers to help you in your next outing:

1 - Modeling! Don't be afraid to use anatomy references while modeling - its not cheating, and it certainly doesn't mean that you're lacking anything. It's kind of like looking in a dictionary to make sure you spelled something right. It doesn't mean you're stupid; just careful. For a female character, your model's shoulders are a little on the broad side, while the stomach and hips are definitely too narrow. The thighs appear to be nearly-perfect cylinders, as do the arms. These are definitely things to look out for - the human body, while generallly composed of cylinders, has a lot of subtle shape to it. Also, don't be afraid to spend a few extra polys on the hands - people/viewers pay a lot of attention to hands, just like people do in real life.

2 - UV Mapping! There are some outstanding tutorials both here and elsewhere out on the web that can give you some great tips on laying out a UV mesh that isn't too distorted. A properly laid out mesh can prevent many problems, included stretched/blurred textures, and inconsistent "pixel density." Basically, the goal is to have it seem like there is about the same number of pixels in the texture over a given area of the characters' body as their is in any given area on the character. Squaresoft (now Square|Enix I guess) does an exceptional job of this in their games.

3 - Texturing! Color choice and palette are the most important thing here. You want to choose colors that fit the model. That's not to say that red armor is superior to blue armor, but that certain shades of red lend themselves to realism better than others. Beware the pure colors!!! pure white, pure black, pure red, etc etc etc are your ENEMY. These colors do not exist in real life! And unless your model is stylized (Viewtiful Joe, for example) you should avoid them like the plague. Always be prepared to add blue to whatever color you are using. Skin is actually a chancy mix of reds, oranges, purples, and blues (and sometimes even green) - play with those tones and examine photographic colors using the eyedropper tool in your favorite image editor to see what color real people are!

Anyways, I hope that is helpful! This model is definitely better than my first model *shudder* and you should be encouraged by your results. Practice practice practice!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.