PDA

View Full Version : Modeler question about setting up a hinge

Turbotoys
02-01-2004, 08:24 PM
I am modeling a garbage can (Dont ask) and the handels I need to be able to hinge. Is there an easy way to set this up in modeler so that when I clone it in Layout I wont have to set up each can with the handle the way I want it... Sorry Im a newbie stilll :shrug:

Remi
02-01-2004, 08:52 PM
I believe...Detail>Pivot....i'm not in front of modeler right now but it's in there somewhere...then you can move the pivot where you want it and it should clone correctly in layout:)

Turbotoys
02-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Ok I did that but it still does not work like I want it too - I would like to be able to move the can and have it hold its position and then move the handels around - i have never used bones or anything like that - but I think this is what im looking for... Any other ideas?

Claymation
02-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Here is a trick I figured out that can work.

Setup your can with bones or what ever. Make sure the whole setup is parented to a null.

save the scene.

move the trash can over and do an import scene. select the scene you have open, you'll get another trash can with teh rig in place. do it as many times as you need.

If you got alot of other stuff in there you might want to make a new scene with just the can so you can make it easier.

Hope that helps,

Jay

Tom Wood
02-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Not sure if this will work, but I'd place the handles in their own layer, move the pivot in Modeler to where it needs to be, then parent them to the can in Layout with parent in place on.

I wouldn't bother with bones if a simple rotation (heading/pitch/bank) will get the motion you want. To make both move at the same time, parent them to a null and then parent the null to the can, or use Follower. Not sure how any of that clones though.

TW

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.