View Full Version : Making face texture

Aradel
02-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Hello,
please help me find some tutorials of creating face texture from fotos
for example texture from Wolfenstein:

theGuest
02-02-2004, 02:56 AM
This kind of thing usually starts in a specific program that can unwrap your model's mesh; usualy a 3D app. That unwrapped mesh is then exported as an image file and opened into a 2D paint program. Then the facial texture is overlayed onto that mesh to ensure correct alignments when merger back into the model.

Your specific example appears to be a photo that has been 'stitched' together. A frontal face shot blended to a profile shot. The profile can be duplicated so there's 2 side views. Minor tweaking and touchups can be done in any 2d app; PS, PSP, etc...

What 3D & 2D apps are you using?

One app that's good for creating the unwrapped UV mesh is "UVMapper" (C4D plugin). http://www.strange-phenomenom.de/pmwiki-0.4.25//index.php/Pluginsc4d/UvMapper?/

Another one is UV2BMP. Do a search for that one. I believe it's a stand-alone app as well as a C4D plugin.

Simply put... you'd save out your head model as an 3ds file from your 3D app... then import it into UV2BMP and choose how you want the mesh to be layed out (unwrapped). Then simply save out that mesh as an image. From there you'd use your 2D app to overlay the textures to the model. That would then become the actual texture for the model.

In a lot of cases, the entire model is painted in the same texture file. But some programs will also allow for separations (like poser). That's a pref of the artist as to which method suits them best.

Hope that helps. ;)

:bounce:

Aradel
02-02-2004, 03:42 AM
Thanks, but I am interested only information about blending frontal face shot and profile shot in Photo-shop. If you know something about this, please help me again!

theGuest
02-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Oh so you know about the rest of that stuff then? Ok cool.

Your tools of choice for blending the 2 separate photos will usually be Smudge / Paint Brush / & Clone Tool.

Make sure the frontal shot is the topmost layer of the 2 photos. Align the 2 photos so they match up in the facial features (i.e. like the cheek bones). Then if needed, add a Layer Mask to either/both of the layers, and paint/mask out any unwanted/unused areas of the head.

Use the Smudge tool to blend the skin/features together. And if touch-up/repairs are needed, use either a Brush or the Clone tool to add or replace certain areas. After smudging a lot, the Blur tool may also be needed to smooth out any obvious smudge marks. Use this tool judiciously though. Start it a 25% strength and use repeat strokes. You don't want to wash out all the detail in the skin.

If i had the right kind of source photos i could better show you. But i don't, so you'll have to try the steps and work things out on-the-fly. It's not as difficult as one might think. It's all just basic blending techniques.

Use my diagramed version of your example photo to better understand what i'm referring to in regard to the blending procedures.

I'll see if i can dig up a tute on this. But i don't recall seeing any out here specifically on this topic.

Aradel
02-03-2004, 06:44 AM
I start my work, What you think?

theGuest
02-05-2004, 10:40 AM
It looks good thus far. You might want to try blending the edge outside the eye a little further away from the eye. You've got it kind close there. Use that example pic you posted as a reference as to how far to overlap the profile to the frontal shot.

Watch out too for abnormal skin tones at the seams when blending/smudging. Clone over those spots if/when they occur.

So far so good though. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.