PDA

View Full Version : The Project for You!

PlaneShift
06-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Dear artist,

Computer Role Playing Games have become very popular in the past two decades. They started with Single Player Text based games and soon spread to 2D games and then 3D, during this Text based Multi Player Role playing games also came around called MUDs (Multi Player Dungeons). Now we are ready for the next level, 3D Massive Multiplayer Online RPGs. They have arrived, with abounding success, conquering the masses of players.
Everquest™, Ultima Online™, Asheron’s Call™, and Dark Age of Camelot™ are all great examples of this. With the soon to be releases such as Star Wars Galaxies™ and many others this proves to be one of the fastest growing entertainment forms in history.

We are here to break the barrier between Pay to Play games and Free ones with our Free open source 3D Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game named PlaneShift.
This is an amazing complex and beautiful project that has the ultimate goal of creating a free virtual world where people can live and role-play on-line. The current development team is made of talented and dedicated professionals that share the same objective: create the game you always dreamed of, without commercial constraints. With this in mind we can really achieve something good and enjoyable. Thanks to the large amount of contributors we can expand the world without rest, bringing it even beyond current day commercial standards and raising the bar for what all Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games should be.

To reach these goals we need your help, dedication, time and skills. We need people like you to join our team! Here are the requirements:

3D Artist:

Will create low-poly 3D models for:
- characters of the game (players and NPCs),
- monsters
- buildings
- items
Create animations for:
- characters of the game (players and NPCs),
- monsters
Create high-poly models for:
- trailers, intro, cut scenes.

Skills required:
- Dedication and passion
- Team work
- Good modeling and texturing skills.
- Knowledge of major 3D programs (3DStudio MAX, Maya...)
- Bent for medieval setting

If you think you can contribute to make this dream come true and you fit one of these roles then write an e-mail to info@planeshift.it. Be sure to include a portfolio of your artwork. Please check out our site at www.planeshift.it and for more info.

Whirlwind
06-30-2002, 12:19 AM
Though I don't have the time to contribute to this adventure, I would like to wish the team the best of luck. What you have on your site looks very promiseing. I look foward to seeing this evolve and I hope it aspires to be everything you want it to be.
Good luck,
-D

The Magic Pen
06-30-2002, 07:41 AM
I just wanted to wish you good luck also , but I think your characters are way to low poly to compete with other MMPG's even if it is free , but im sure a lot of people will play anyways because of the free factor.. :applause:

PlaneShift
06-30-2002, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the support guys!

We are placing a lot of effort in that and we are progressing well!

As far as models are concerned, we have now some low poly versions and some more complex. We are just testing the features of the engine, so we have been carefull on adding more complex models.

With the help of some 3D people we can maximize the features of the engine and have better looking models.

Commercial games have sligthly better engines, but the main point is the gfx card :) So we can compete and we will!

Thanks again,
Luca.

ronin
07-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Man all those damn MMORPG with their fantasy world are getting so darn annoying, people dont have good ideas these days,
WOW looks like the best mmorpg's no new undeveloped borring races, but strictly solid ones, not anything too imaginative and stupid, altho i like MMORPGs most of them seem very unoriginal, and im sad to think that yours is one of those aswell

PlaneShift
07-02-2002, 04:57 PM
We have a lot of ideas to make it not so *usual*, but it's difficult in these days to invent something completely new,with more than 30 games released every month.

If you have new and cool ideas just send them to info@planeshift.it, complaining is not useful.

Bye!

spakman
07-02-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by PlaneShift
Thanks for the support guys!

With the help of some 3D people we can maximize the features of the engine and have better looking models.

Thanks again,
Luca.

You'd get some major after market support if you let folks mod their characters. Heck every self centered character artist in the world would join up.

:D

Thekkur
06-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Time for an update. :) The project has grown immensely since it's last release. Over 36000 accounts have been created so far, and the community is crowing every day.

Take a look at the site, download the demo and share your opinion. And ofcourse, if you've got the abilities, join the team!

Niber
12-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Time for another update:
Planeshift have +110.000 accounts.
Next version that will be more playible is due to realese soon.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.