PDA

View Full Version : short film: The Auction

sauzer
02-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Hello everyone!

I would like to show my first short film.

I will have it online for a limited time, so hurry!! ;)

Let me know what your thoughts are.

www.colossart.com/theauction/themovie.htm (http://www.colossart.com/theauction/themovie.htm)

Thanks a lot!

Clockwork
02-01-2004, 04:29 AM
WOW! That's darn impressive, Love it! I really have nothing to crit, it's extremely well done. Front page material!

Studio Quality, great film!!!!

iDio is Me
02-01-2004, 04:35 AM
Wow, that was cool. How long for the time from thoughts to final on the entire project? Like how you made him have the 'U' hair... You know what I mean.

Ibox
02-01-2004, 04:39 AM
haha, that was fun, thnx and good luck in your endevours :thumbsup:

kevinw
02-01-2004, 04:49 AM
not bad. It has a kinda pixar feel to it. Mostly with the theme music and that whole sequence with him playing with the toys reminds me of the trailer for the Incredibles. The character animation itself seemed to be a little rough in areas but overall it was well put together. Keep up the good work.

Larry_g1s
02-01-2004, 04:58 AM
:applause: Great job! Very funny story with quality animation. How long did it take to do?

:thumbsup:

swardson
02-01-2004, 05:16 AM
awesome idea. I loved the animation... great feel and expression. The choice of camera position/depth and movement was key. supurb character animation. A+++++++ :)

FloydBishop
02-01-2004, 05:16 AM
VERY nice.

I really like the staging and the cutting... especially when he's hitting the enter key so many times to try and win the bid.

Great job!!:thumbsup:

Newsquirt
02-01-2004, 05:44 AM
nice piece...Pretty funny...Nice animation overall..The music is nice too.

Great work...How long did it take??

malkavian2003
02-01-2004, 06:00 AM
its a great story. I can totally relate to the guy losing the bid on ebay. happened to me just this day. (I want those (@&#$^@*@^#$^$*@&$%^#*@ wireless speakers!!!)

Biped
02-01-2004, 06:56 AM
Great just great! cutting,sound,musik,animation are all great:applause:

TheGreenGiant
02-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Hello there!

saw this short yesterday and its very very good. The character reminds me a lot of Rowan Atkinson. I'm pretty sure the facial stuff and noises are kind of based on him. I wasn't too sure about the fact that anyone would be interested in those ugly robots but then again some people like Pokemon. :D Great ending; certainly didn't expect it to happen the way it did.

cheers!

kjc
02-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Best five minutes I've spent all day. Just excellent.

Dearmad
02-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Must inline viewing be forced on us though? What, really is the point?

Will comment on the film once I see it.

BigSky
02-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Great sound design...and nice camera. I wonder if we could have seen the "other bidder" (could have been nice to introduce in the bot-fight sequences.)
The first time the buzzer goes off to warn of the outbid, he is wonderfully animated...put out. a bit pissed off, but still in control..very nice moment.
A well executed short for sure...a keeper.

RockinAkin
02-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Very VERY funny short!
Loved the ending too.

berniebernie
02-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Very impressing work !
This short had a very neat and interesting scenario, which makes it really pleasing...

I really liked how the short reached a climax by the end, and the slo-mo of the robot hitting the enter key.. :thumbsup:

Sceme
02-01-2004, 09:14 AM
i totally felt embaressed for that guy :D Great animation short. no critics here.

Iysun
02-01-2004, 09:49 AM
hey great job! I am very impressed to say the least :applause:

John Lee
02-01-2004, 10:02 AM
wow those 4 mins went really fast thats a sign of a good film very good job on this ;)

REZI-st
02-01-2004, 10:13 AM
GOOD WORK very funny :bounce: :applause: :buttrock:

ehmdjii
02-01-2004, 12:25 PM
wow! that is really awsome and very funny too!

how did you do the realistic movements? did you do motioncapturing?

Kel Solaar
02-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Very funny, a lot of great composition, animation is very well done and the lighning is excellent! (llo hellmut :)

simonvb
02-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi sauzer,

Congratulations on such a great animation!
Like TheGreenGiant said, your character does have something of Rowan Atkinson.

About the visuals:
Your character has great facial expressions: happiness, astonishment, anger (the hilarious lets-tap-the-enter-key-moment), fear, relief: all the important emotions are there. That last thing before he faints is gorgeous. And then there also is the way he screws up his face when playing with the robots.
The environment also looks really finished.

About the audio:
I especially liked the sounds the credits make when they appear and disappear in the introduction. The character’s muttering is hilarious, reminds me a lot of the pc-game ‘the Sims’. The music sounds very good, sometimes reminds me of the Sims too.

Very funny animation overall, this truly is a little masterpiece.

- simon vb

SpiritWalker
02-01-2004, 01:39 PM
that was an amaing movie you did! i just loved his expressions and the idea is very original :bowdown:

is there any chance i can download the movie to my computer? i really want to keep it :D (i can do that right?)

squeezestudio
02-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Nice short , very funny .... ehheehe ... great story to !

Good job !

brianellebracht
02-01-2004, 02:39 PM
I was unable to watch it with sound right now at this computer, but it was still great! nice idea...The character reminds me of the old guy on pixars short in the park.
Brian

dpvtank
02-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Sceme
i totally felt embaressed for that guy :D Great animation short. no critics here.

haha
I also felt really sorry for that guy. I loved it. The short was awesome..I just loved it.

RenderStream
02-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Ive been following this one for a long time now! Great Stuff !!

gigatron
02-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Haha that was clever to make and funny :) I really liked it :)

sketchguy
02-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Nice work.

I thought perhaps his Mother would be the other bidder ;)

Did anyone else sense a similarity to Geri from Geri's Game in the character design?

Side_FX
02-01-2004, 05:03 PM
wow, that was so great!! I loved it!!! So funny that poor guy.
:scream:

SpiritWalker
02-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by SpiritWalker
that was an amaing movie you did! i just loved his expressions and the idea is very original :bowdown:

is there any chance i can download the movie to my computer? i really want to keep it :D (i can do that right?)
help any1?

maxmanjake
02-01-2004, 05:25 PM
To funny! A good laugh for me today. I'm teaching Illustrator on a Sunday and would much rather be working in 3D. This inspires me to finish my own short.:applause:

Tellerve
02-01-2004, 06:35 PM
very funny and well done. I had to laugh a lot when he was playing with his toys and making noises, as I used to do that. Heck, who am I kidding, I still do :D

Great stuff,

Tellerve

kodinaarian
02-01-2004, 06:46 PM
:bounce: :bounce:

that was a great piece overall, no crits at all.

great timing, great shots squences, and good
music, voicetalent too.

keep up the good work

el paso
02-01-2004, 06:59 PM
wow, that was awesome!

I didn't know what was going on with the story about halfway through (why he was playing with the toys so much) but in the end totally works, very good job.

his one facial expression is great

way to go

be ha

killeratti
02-01-2004, 07:06 PM
some of the best facial expressions i have seen
too good:bowdown:

SPIDER2544
02-01-2004, 07:10 PM
HAHAHAHA LMAO

that was great thats one of the best short films ive seen in a while

totaly awsome great animation and technique:beer:

kjc
is there any chance i can download the movie to my computer? i really want to keep it (i can do that right?)

once it loads fully in your browser it should be in your temp internet files.

HenningK
Sweeet. Slick and professional in every way. Thanks for showing. How long did your team take from modelling through final rendering?
-Hen

SpiritWalker
02-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by kjc
once it loads fully in your browser it should be in your temp internet files.

didnt find it :/

gaggle
02-01-2004, 07:47 PM
That's quite a long short, congratulations for even completing such a beast :). It's pretty damn funny, and the facial expressions are wonderful. The animation is perhaps at times a little rough, but it doesn't really destroy the feel and atmosphere. I like that how you mention he still lives at home, it's a cool little detail you don't draw too much attention to, and yet it perfectly tells us what kind of person he is.

And you close off with a good and funny ending, bravo.

I'm going to make a small nitpick on the logic of their world: He suddenly realises he's going to pay 6000 dollars for this thing. Then he gets outbid, and then accidentally bids himself. But he still ends up paying 6000 dollars for it! That number should be higher, two bids incremented ;).

But all things considered that's a very small inconsistency.

Pinoy McGee
02-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Ooohhh.....that sold out Yamato: Macross YF 19 looks pretty tempting to bid on :p

shcmack
02-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Awesome! I'm still laughin of that poor guy :applause:
And the sounds are great! Nice work man!

EDIT: SpiritWalker: When it's finished loading in you browser, you can right click, and click "Save As Quicktime Movie..."

UnlikelyCorny
02-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by SpiritWalker
didnt find it :/

rightclick and save as should do the job

link to big file (http://www.colossart.com/theauction/theMovie/NTSC_video_out_withAudio_large.mov)

certainly worth the download.

It's is in my cgtalkgoodclips folder :)

Cararan
02-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Pretty funny animation.

DJ Scorchio
02-01-2004, 08:19 PM
awsome, i love it! :applause:

sauzer
02-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Wow!!! Thanks a lot for your words!

I am really happy that a lot of people liked my short. It took a little over a year to complete (from the rough idea to the final rendering).

Everybody working on it did a great job, it was all done via Internet. I live in Los Angeles, but most of the people working on the project were not. There were people working from Canada, France and Italy. We developed an Internet pipeline that could allow us to work togheter as if we were in the same room even though we were thounsands of miles away. Videoconferences and video messages were used a lot during the production.

I created this short as a final project for school. I graduated at The Art Institute of California - Los Angeles.

AlbertoGarcia
02-01-2004, 08:32 PM
great short man! very funny i specially like the ending when that little alarm thing fell on the return key... it really made me laugh

:bounce: :bounce:

SpiritWalker
02-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by UnlikelyCorny
rightclick and save as should do the job

link to big file (http://www.colossart.com/theauction/theMovie/NTSC_video_out_withAudio_large.mov)

certainly worth the download.

It's is in my cgtalkgoodclips folder

thanks a lot man i downloaded

just to say again, the Idea is great and very originial, i loved the modeling and lightning, animation is incredible!!!! i loved it when he played with his figures. facial expressions are great and i just loved the end!

it is an amazing animation man good :applause: :thumbsup: :buttrock: :beer:

slime
02-01-2004, 09:00 PM
really good. I think that the character design and the animation could be better, but the story and camera work is very good. I enjoyed it a lot.

Stillwell
02-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Excellent story, modeling and lighting! Animation was sometimes choppy, but I could barely make it out.

Great work!

froggyplat
02-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Can you eloborate any on your internet pipeline? I'm curious as to how you tracked your assets/versions and so on.

Great short! I had a good laugh out of it. Top notch stuff.:)

pezz
02-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Holy hell! That was one of the best and most funny shorts I've ever seen.. 1 billion thumbs up from me :)

chx
02-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Very funny, congrats !

pgp_protector
02-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Dont know about a Billion, But at Least 6,000,001 :)

Great though, the only thing I was not crazy about was his mouth in one part looked like a "dummy's" mouth in the movment & seperation, but still WAY better than I can do .

sauzer
02-02-2004, 12:17 AM
froggyplat,

we created a website that we called "Member Area". This website contained every information about every single shot including a link to an FTP server where all the scene files where stored and so forth. We needed to be really well organized in naming the files with the right convention otherwise it could all become a giant mess.

I produced also "The Making of The Auction" where we show the whole production, and the internet pipeline is explained extencively.

In my next production I will probably use the GDI Explorer. Check it out it's really impressive

Cirque Digital (http://www.cirquedigital.com)

Thanks again to all of you for your comments!

dflipb
02-02-2004, 12:30 AM
AMAZING WORK!!!!!!

one technical note, when he wins, it should be $6,000,100

it was at $6,000,000 and the robot hit return and incremented it another $100. Just thought if you were going to put it in some shows, you would want to change it.

You Should be ABSOLUTLY proud of your selves!! WAY TO GO!!!! I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me in the next couple of minutes. LOL

decipleofX
02-02-2004, 12:31 AM
i take my hat off to you that was truly awsome, i have no problem with the whole pixar feel to it. Besides they set the trend for 3d animation.:applause:

mrtprodz
02-02-2004, 12:48 AM
i loved it! :thumbsup:

the part of the falling toy on the enter key was really great! :applause:

the story was really funny! hope i'll see another short from you ;)

omar C
02-02-2004, 01:04 AM
lol....this rocks man!!:applause: hahaha ubay

Mystifyurmind
02-02-2004, 07:23 AM
:slow-mo: Nnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

:crick,cahhhhh...

What was great about this is the ability to relate to it. That's what makes it so successful, where you bid on "ubay" and you want to win, so badly, you don't even realize that "10 more bucks" is like... 500 in the end. heh.

Poor middle aged ... man who lives with his rents... and has a unibrow...

wow.

spm
02-02-2004, 08:10 AM
i have to whine some...

i hate embedded movies. very annoying.

stew
02-02-2004, 08:35 AM
To quote my coworker who came in after the intro: "Is that Pixar?"

Sicco
02-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Nice animation I do not have any critic.

well maybe.. the story line could be a little more
efficient. Every scene should have some kind of
conflict in it. When he is playin with his robots, it shows
me he really loves them, but I think maybe it takes a little
too long.

But i think your short is superbly done....

Sicco:applause: :thumbsup: :bowdown:

alexyork
02-02-2004, 10:14 AM
haha! bloody great! really damn funny - very enjoyable and top notch animation too. nice rendering on top.

outstanding! outstanding!!!

kjc
02-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by sauzer
I produced also "The Making of The Auction" where we show the whole production, and the internet pipeline is explained extencively.

Any info as to when we can see the making of? I'd buy the dvd ;)

sauzer
02-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Part of the making is available already on the short film's website

The Auction's website (http://www.colossart.com/theauction)

When you enter click on "the making" you can see some clips taken from the whole documentary. Unfortunately I could not post the whole making on the website, so I had to remove the following sections:

1) The internet pipeline
2) The sound and music
3) Animation (but I will soon post it)

You can also see a little video about the character if you click on "the character"

Let me know what you think!

DougNicola
02-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Totally hilarious!! Great animation, Great timing, music, sfx, dialog!!! All tops!! Way to go! Can't wait to see more animation from you!

kjc
02-02-2004, 10:27 PM
It's great. I like the whole behind the scenes setup. Was this a requirement for your final project or did you 'throw' it in as a bonus? ( not like it's thrown together or anything ;) ) I'm also interested to know how you got such an extensive team together from around the globe. Did you have internal course deadlines for your film or was it judged entirely at the year's end?

On a side note the video quality is very good and loads surprisingly fast.

p.s. what's next in the pipeline?:)

fxgogo
02-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Funny Story. Some great shots and some that might need a bit more work, but over all a great piece. well done to all.

sauzer
02-02-2004, 11:03 PM
It was not a requirement for my final project, I just wanted to make something different. We created another movie like that before The Auction. I was the animation supervisor on it.

I created the team by going on Highend3d or AWN and look for volunteers. Most of the people working on it though already worked with me on "Grandma" (our last short).

www.cyberplocstudio.com (http://www.cyberplocstudio.com)

Now I am working on a shorter project. I will post it when it's done.

yeoj3d
02-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Hey Carlo, this is Joey from your critical thinking class at AI. Your short film is definitley the best animation from our school. I was always dissapointed from the portfolio shows with the level of 3d talent at our school, nobody really seemed to excel at 3d. Then you did The Auction and I think it is the first professonal looking 3d animation from anyone at AICLA. I felt bad for all the other graduates at the last porfolio show, since your work was soooo much better than everyone elses. I think the faculty at AICLA should have u come and do a lecture on the making of this film. Good job, best of luck with your career, keep up the good work Carlo!:thumbsup:

Voidus
02-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Hey Carlo, Avery here.

Haha I see the auction made it onto here somehow, after it being plastered all over school and watching it through it's development at the Art Institute, i'd have to say you did an excellent job!

sauzer
02-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Hey Joey! Thank you for your words! I think there were some very interesting work at the portfolio show. Not all of them want to do animation, in fact most of them focused more on other stuff.

Anyway, thanks a lot again!

Carlo

AlbertArt
02-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Great Film! Animation reminisent of Pixar, it reminded me of the incredibles teaser for some odd reason.:bounce:

Linus Ericson
02-08-2004, 06:43 PM
I always love to watch making of stuff, sometimes more than a movie that was maked.

Is "1) The internet pipeline" coming soon?

costas
02-12-2004, 03:12 PM
very impressive:thumbsup:

fbcota
02-13-2004, 04:55 AM
As one of the animators who worked on the film I would like to thank everyone for there kind comments. It was allot of fun to work on this project.

dunadan
02-14-2004, 05:01 AM
I didn't see which 3D tools where used for this production?
Will you tell us?

One of the Best Short Films all around I have ever seen.

hellmut
02-14-2004, 07:09 AM
it's my turn..
Aas lighting guy on the auction, i have to thanks all of you, and specially carlo to bring us in this trip ;)

hello from france! :)

Kel Solaar
02-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Moumout!!!! You did a great work with lightning on this short :)
Bye :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.