PDA

View Full Version : Why would a blend shape affect the wrong CVs?

Mooncalf
01-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Hey y'all,

I'm having a little trouble understanding what's going on here.

I set up a blend shape for my rhinoceros--a simple eye blink. But when I deform my main model with it... the feet go all crazy! And I never even touched the feet when setting up the blend shape.

Here's a quick playblast:

http://s91492435.onlinehome.us/cgtalk/blendProblem2.mov

Is this a typical beginner's mistake, or is something more serious happening here?

- M

dwalden74
01-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Sounds like the vertex order has been changed. Did you change the original geometry in any way after you created the blend shape?

Mooncalf
01-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Nope, I don't believe I altered the geometry... at least not knowlingly.

(the foot movement hasn't replaced the eye blink... it appears in addition to it)

What I did was:

1) duplicate the geometry

2) move around the cv's I needed for the eye blink

3) deform > create blend shape

4) window > animation editors > blendshapes

5) set keyframes at frame 1, 10, and 20

6) playblast

7) post on CGTalk

That's everything that shows up in the .mov

?

- M

modi
01-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Line up both the blendhshape and your original mesh together and see it under wireframe mode if the legs of the blendhshape node are different from the original. U may have accidently selected the leg vertices while rotating the eye vertices. Just a thought. Else, check deformation order. Skin cluster should be first on the stack.

Mooncalf
02-02-2004, 09:44 PM
I'm fairly certain I didn't select any of the legs' cvs when creating the blendShape. In fact, I began from scratch two or three times just to make sure--but the legs always deformed in the same exact way.

As for the deformation order, that sounds like something I can look into. Only, after looking around here, and in the Maya help files, I can't quite figure out how to change the deformation order. (in fact, all that the Maya help file says, as far as I can see, is that "Yes, you can change the order. If you want to.")

Would it be totally RTFM of me to ask where I'd find the tool/menu/graph/window to accomplish this?

- M

Navi
02-03-2004, 07:09 AM
to change deformation order just right click over your mesh, go to inputs and select 'all inputs' then just middle mouse drag whatever to where ever you want. It doesn't look like they move but just drag them they'll move.

modi
02-03-2004, 07:53 AM
i hear u , its kinda tricky, right click on the mesh, click on All inputs. U can change the deformation order by middle mouse dragging the blendshape node below the skin cluster. cheers.

Mooncalf
02-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Hey Modi,

Thanks for the tip... :) It looks like the skinCluster was indeed not at the top of the stack.

Unfortunately, moving it didn't seem to help the problem I'm having.

If there's any other suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

- M

P.S. - I was taking a look at your site, Modi, particularly the animations... I love the bell-ringer. My goodness, you can just FEEL the weight!

modi
02-03-2004, 04:38 PM
send me your scene file and i'll have a look at it. Send me a link to ur scene file, i don't have much space in my inbox , pramod91@yahoo.com
cheers.

thematt
02-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Hey mooncalf..

Something you must do while generting blend shape is getting rid of the part of you model you don't want the blend shape to affect..
For that you use the edit membership tool in the deformer section..select you blendShape and with Alt key press unselct the vertex you don't need..it will speed up your blend shape a lot and get rid of those weird move on the Leg..still it's weird that it happen..

Anyway that trick may save your bacon now but you should keep searching for the answer of your problem.

cheers

Ps: modi great web site you have terrific anim love it.just signed your guest book..

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.