PDA

View Full Version : Adding PMS Color to Grayscale Image

bobzilla
01-29-2004, 05:58 PM
I have artwork which was done traditionallly and scanned in as a grayscale image. Now the client wants parts of it a PMS color.

For instance: There's a set of dice with numbers on them and they want the numbers a PMS color and the rest grayscale.

How can I go about doing that?

halo
01-29-2004, 06:41 PM
add a spot channel, set it to the PMS you want, add the colour where you need it...you may need to knockout the greyscale "underneath" if you dont want over print or are using a % of the spot colour.

Save as either .psd or DCS 2 file with composite preview.

bobzilla
01-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks, halo, I'll give that a shot.

I definitely don't want the gray showing through the PMS color. How do I knock that out so that doesn't happen?

halo
01-29-2004, 08:36 PM
when you get your spot channel done, command or ctrl click it which will make it a selection, then go to your greyscale channel and delete (fill with white).

This will make an exact knock out...BUT if you are printing on a crap press or the plates are likely to move you may want to induce a little trapping by contracting the selection before deleting by a pixel or 2. Its dependent on your res and your output. Unfortunately PMS + normal files in PS are a little bit hope and pray, but for the most time its worked fine with me and if it hasnt the client didnt notice ;)

One little tip, double click the spot channel and set the opacity to 100%. This is only a visual thing, it doesnt affect the channel's opacity, but it makes it a damn sight easier to judge your colour if you need to make it a tint.

If your using metalics then you will need to find a close match (cos ps dont do them...havent looked in CS though), and then rename it, so it will seperate well.

If you can, talk to your printer, let them know how you intend to approach it, see if they have any advice (sometimes they do ;))

halo
01-29-2004, 08:38 PM
btw, depeding on the colour your using, trapping or seeing some of the background may be less noticable. Some inks go down solid, some are translucent, some are just weak. Depends on your colour.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.