PDA

View Full Version : HELP: unable to compute trimmed surface

distres117
01-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Hello,
I'm currently working for a cartoonist who wants to animate his illustrations for a pilot for tv. I decided to use Maya over Flash for it's excellent character tools and detailed animation controls. My first approach was to model and rig in 3d and render with a toonshader, but this changed the whole look of the characters. The idea is to preserve the quirky "character" of the original linework and 3d was looking too slick. After a few other approaches I settled on this method: linework converted to cv curves, ridgid-bound to ik rig, blendshapes for face/hands. I'm very careful to make sure the cvs are planar, (thanks Gino Dammers for your excellent script!) Planar trim to create updating surfaces from the curves, it all works flawlessly. My test chracter is now fully rigged, good range of motion, no ugly joint deformations, and still quirky! Here's the problem though, when the leg is set to a certain position, one of the trimmed surfaces vanishes and Maya says "unable to compute trimmed surface." Are trimmed surfaces just quirky like that or is there something I'm missing? Thank you in advance!

john_homer
01-29-2004, 06:59 PM
when you create the trim, you click on te surface to let maya know which side to keep or discard.... maya remembers this point, and if the curve moves over it your keep selection will appear to invert/switch...

this may have something to do with your problem... check that points position..
.j

distres117
01-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the thought but I've been over that already. I use planar trim not project curve > trim specifically because that method doesen't use a trim point to compute which area is discarded/kept. After some experimentation, I found that rebuilding the trim curve as linear and with 100 spans solved the computation problem but also causes some weird glitching in the curve. It definitely has something to do with rebuilding or closing the curve properly. Any ideas guys? Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.