PDA

View Full Version : character: WoW orc recreation

new2LW
01-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi,

K, who's the Blizzard contact that can get me a job;)

http://www.new2lw.com/Gallery/orc.html

Comments welcome.

Later,
Eric

Razorwolf
01-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Some small crits/comments:

- Model is fine
- Texture has some problems:

a) Your red tones are off. Check the Blizzard pic again ;).
b) Your texture needs some more contrast and less brightness (only a small bit for the brightness)

c) There is a lack of shadows / midtones

Also try to get some relief (depth) in the armor.

new2LW
01-29-2004, 03:41 PM
I think that's pretty much what I meant when I said my texture needs work on my site ;)

Now I just need to get my lazy self around to doing it :) lol

Eric

SecretAgent
01-29-2004, 06:02 PM
It's not bad but, you are missing all the color variation like in Blizzards characters.

If you look at their Orc, his skin tone is made up of browns, yellows, reds, purples to give it more depth - warm colour/tones (browns, yellows) for the highlights and cooler colours (blues, purples) for the shadows.

The Blizzard artists are phenomenal in using colory theory in their work and that really helps give their work a more high fantasy look.

You really should study their work closely and pick apart the colors they're using in their textures - you should also look at a lot of classical art, as they are the true masters of color theory.

I think your Orc is pretty good but, seems flat like you only used dodge and burn for the shadows and highlights. I hope this helps you a little more.

commy
01-29-2004, 06:20 PM
i see stripes!

lol try for a slightly less stripy texture on his legs etc and add alot more colours the face needs alot more colour and give his armour some variations too!

Ancient-Pig
01-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Yes, look at some of the old master painters..

Vermeer
Ingres
Van Gogh
Rembrandt
David
Jan Van Eyck
Michelangelo

Try and pick up on some color theory out of those.

The model looks ok. The textures look like a first pass. If I were to run my hand along this orc, he would feel completely the same.. there is no tactility in any of his textures.

Its a good start, but keep going on it.. take it further.

new2LW
02-10-2004, 02:57 AM
Updated texture with old texture comparison on my web site.

What do you guys think now?

Thanks,
Eric

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.