PDA

View Full Version : Problems updating Painter 8

artopya
01-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi guys...!!!..:) I downloaded update from Corel.com for Painter update 8 to 8.1 but the update not's working, give me a message: "Corel update can't find the painter program, please install" I follow all the steps before installing , but not's working, anyone can help me???
P.S. I'm workink in a Mac 733 mghz G4

Jinbrown
01-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Hi,

Try uninstalling Painter 8, reinstalling Painter 8, then installing the Painter 8.1 patch, using these steps:

1. Close Painter 8 and other programs.

2. Move any files you created into a new backup folder outside of the Painter 8 folders.

3. Uninstall Painter 8.

4. Manually delete any remaining Painter 8 folders and files.

5. Reboot.

6. Install Painter 8 and don't open it even one time.

7. Install the Painter 8.1 patch.

8. Reboot.

9. Launch Painter 8.

After you launch Painter 8, to make sure the 8.1 patch was installed correctly, go to...

Help > About Corel Painter 8

... and at the bottom of the splash screen, where you see the small type, at the end of the first line of small type it should say...

Version 8.1

Good luck,

fatzombie
01-30-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by artopya
Hi guys...!!!..:) I downloaded update from Corel.com for Painter update 8 to 8.1 but the update not's working, give me a message: "Corel update can't find the painter program, please install" I follow all the steps before installing , but not's working, anyone can help me???
P.S. I'm workink in a Mac 733 mghz G4

Did you happen to buy Painter 8 as an online download where you get a serial number to activate the demo to the full version? That's the problem I had...I eventually spent 25 bucks to have Corel send me a backup cd of the program which installed fine and updated fine. Good luck...If this isn't the case...Umm...Try what Jin said :)

Signal2Noise
02-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Jinbrown

... and at the bottom of the splash screen, where you see the small type, at the end of the first line of small type it should say...

Version 8.1

Good luck,

Hmmm...I received my P8 Upgrade software yesterday. I installed it, discovered the 8.1 patch available so I uninstalled and reinstalled using Corel's instructions (obviously the same as your instructions, Jinbrown) and applied the patch. BUT when I launch Painter it still says "8" on the About screen. I'll need to redo it when I get home tonight.

Side note: One thing I found odd is I ordered the Upgrade version of 8 through Amazon since I had Painter Classic via the Wacom tablet I bought. According to the sticker on the Painter box the Upgrade version is elligible to owners of Painter Classic and higher editions as well as Photoshop users and not owners of Photoshop Elements etc. Since the disclaimer was specific about who could use the upgrade I was expecting to need to have the Painter Classic CD ready in the event Painter 8 asks for it during install. Nope. Nada word. Painter 8 installed without any previous version queries/prompts.

So...this makes me wonder if it's really necessary for people to have to buy a full version of Painter over the upgrade version if they don't don't have previous versions of the app. If artists are 'in the know' they can save a hundred bucks or so and just buy the Upgrade. No wonder Corel are experiencing difficult times. Maybe this would be different if I ordered the upgrade directly through Corel who may ask for proof of original ownership?

You read it here folks, if you are debating to lay out cash for Painter just buy the Upgrade. There seems to be no real reason to buy the full version.

Jinbrown
02-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I don't think Corel's instructions for installing the Painter 8.1 patch (or previous version patches) are the same as mine which include a couple of extra steps we've found through experience can make a difference. Rebooting, for instance.

To find out if your Painter 8.1 patch installed correctly, do the following:

Look on the splash screen, in the top line of small text at the bottom of the splash screen and you should see Version 8.1.

Drag an icon onto the Painter screen. If you can do that, it'll automatically create a Custom Palette named Custom 1.

Look in the Window menu and near the bottom you should see Custom Palettes.

If you see none of the above, your patch installation will need to be redone.

You'll need to use the following steps:

1. Move any files you created into a backup folder somewhere outside of the Painter 8 folders.

2. Uninstall Painter 8.

3. Manually delete any remaining Painter 8 folders and files.

4. Reboot.

5. Install Painter 8 and don't open it even one time.

6. Install the Painter 8.1 patch.

7. Reboot.

8. Launch Painter 8.1 and check again to see if the installation went as expected, using the checks I listed above.

Good luck,

Signal2Noise
02-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks Jinbrown. The reboot steps was an oversight. I followed your instructions and it's a success! I was actually looking at the large "8" in the lower right of the splash screen thinking it would change to "8.1" so maybe it was originally patched all along.

But all is well now. Hopefully artopya's troubles get worked out as well.

Cheers!

Jinbrown
02-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi Signal,

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Thanks for letting us know.

southerncomfort
08-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Is there a difference with using a MAC version of Painter 8..? I can't seem to install the 8.1 patch following the steps below for my MAc... Can help?

artopya
08-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Southern como estas supongo que hablas español, eres de Ecuador parece, mira yo ya he tratado de actualizar el Painter en mi Mac desde todo lado y no he podido al parecer no funciona, ya elegí no quebrarme el "coco" más con el asunto , la actualización supuestamente lo que resolvía es la aplicación del filtro de Mosaico ya que no funciona en la versión 8.0 de Mac, espero que te sirva de algo , cualquier duda comunicate conmigo a mi correo: mmontero@amnet.co.cr, talvez nos podamos ayudar...:)
Saludos desde Costa Rica.

Jinbrown
08-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Is there a difference with using a MAC version of Painter 8..? I can't seem to install the 8.1 patch following the steps below for my MAc... Can help? Hi,

Since there are no "steps below" in your message, it's pretty hard to know what steps you followed.

Since I don't read Spanish (see the message following yours), I can't tell if that person answered your question.

Let us know if you solved the problem. If not, we can discuss it once we know exactly what you've already tried, steps, etc.

Jinny

noelt
08-22-2004, 02:16 AM
i had this problem yesterday, he has to push the left button which says "choose folder" (or something) or find the painter 8 then push install, i bought mine online and if you buy online you don't have to uninstall just install the patch. If you try to install before finding folder the message comes up.

Ghiangelo
09-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks Jinbrown. The reboot steps was an oversight. I followed your instructions and it's a success! I was actually looking at the large "8" in the lower right of the splash screen thinking it would change to "8.1" so maybe it was originally patched all along.

But all is well now. Hopefully artopya's troubles get worked out as well.

Cheers!

when you are installing the patch it has to be installed in the Painter 8 folder. and checking the version number can be done by control+clicking the Painter 8 application icon and selecting Get Info...

hmm.. my version indicates it is 8.0.086? have i not upgraded yet!?

g-

Jinbrown
09-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi,

Yes, that's the Painter 8.1 version number, 8.0.086.

However, the true test is to open Painter 8, look in the Windows menu and see if the Custom Palettes command is there. Then click and drag any icon onto the Painter screen. If it creates a Custom Palette, you have Painter 8.1.

Also, as mentioned above, look at the small print at the bottom of the splash screen. It should say Version 8.1 at the right end of the top line of small text.

Ghiangelo
09-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi,

Yes, that's the Painter 8.1 version number, 8.0.086.

However, the true test is to open Painter 8, look in the Windows menu and see if the Custom Palettes command is there. Then click and drag any icon onto the Painter screen. If it creates a Custom Palette, you have Painter 8.1.

Also, as mentioned above, look at the small print at the bottom of the splash screen. It should say Version 8.1 at the right end of the top line of small text.

yup! custom palettes are there... as far as viewing the splash screen, good luck, it appears in an flash and is gone. actually i don't think it even completes a full screen draw at all. this new G5 i got is fast. Painter launches so quick it's barely noticable. :eek:

scottsch
02-10-2005, 01:03 AM
This thread is a bit old but for completion's sake there is an executable (.exe) patch available here:

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/8.1/win/en/

...for the "try before you buy" version (and the retail version) of Painter 8.0 that automatically installs the 8.1 update without all the hassle - no reboot required. I just tried it and it worked great.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.