PDA

View Full Version : Skin shader but not real life...

lukx
01-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Can anyone help creating this kind of shader as in this image "Woods of April"
http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Galleries/Gal_Jan02/Gal_Jan02.asp

Anyway how to use something like falloff map like in max.
I read that i should use incidence for falloff effect but where to put it? In diffuse slot? but then it changes colour. Anyway are there any good tutorials about this render tree thing cause I got big problems to really understand how does it work.

ggg
01-29-2004, 05:32 PM
I won't list all the links. but heres a folder with some older finds that needs to be updated but should help:
http://www.grahamdclark.com/Studentresources/links/My_Favorites/untitled.html
under:
3D and FX and 2DFX> 3D and FX Software, Resources and Tuts>XSI>XSI shader lighting texture rendertree fxtree

Also Kim Aldis and others have some decent Rendertree tuts on Sofitmage.com

the incidence node is straightforward to setup, what's not working as expected?(sorry I don't use Max to compare)

RickW
01-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by lukx
I read that i should use incidence for falloff effect but where to put it? In diffuse slot?

Maybe try plugging it in the reflectivity slot. Of course this won't really help you unless you know what to do with the incidence node. There is help file for the incidence node on the property page, just hit the ?

Anyway are there any good tutorials about this render tree thing cause I got big problems to really understand how does it work.

Actually there are quite a few depending on your budget :)

Like Triple G said, Softimage has some really nice tuts by Kim Aldis.

Ed Harriss has some render tree tutorials on his site.

If you are will to spend a little cash, you should check out www.3dtutorial.com. Alan Jones did some render tree videos.

/R

tachy0n
01-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by lukx
...Anyway how to use something like falloff map like in max.
I read that i should use incidence for falloff effect but where to put it? In diffuse slot? but then it changes colour....

It all depends on what you are aiming for... The incidence node by itself doesn't do anything complex, it just outputs a black to white value, depending on the angle of lights, camera etc. It's entirely upto you as to how you use it. If you wan't to use it control fresnel effects like for glass, then it can be plugged directly into transparency or reflection. For controlling color like for a toonish look then connect it to the input of a gradient node first, and then connect the grad. node to the diffuse etc.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.