PDA

View Full Version : What maths needed for lighting?

pika
01-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Hello all.

I did some research on what maths are required to learn more about 3D mathmaticaly.

Especially for learning lighting. shading, and rendering, which maths below shoud I focus on?

Thank you.

Algebra Geometry
Analytical Algebra
Trigonometry
Pre-Calculus
Calculus
Linear Algebra
Vector Geometry
Multivariable Calculus
Differential Equations

Andrew W
01-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Trigonometry and some basic vector and matrix maths will get you by generally speaking. Unless you want to do something really weird and wonderful...

pika
01-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Thank you, I'll go ahead and start leaning those.

TerrestrialSea
02-07-2004, 03:54 AM
Me Homer ... Me Point and Click Light ... Ooooh!!!

Seriously if you can get those all down and make a kicken lighting program, kudos to you! I failed my pre-algebra but can still do some minor plug-ins.

p.s. --- Isn't there room for some Chaos Theroy, and maybe even some String Theroy in lighting programs? Or am I a dumb ass?

Emmortal1
02-07-2004, 04:02 AM
String theory? Heh, that's not a proven theory, it's a hypothesis. We don't have the means to prove or disprove it so right now it's just vapor. The math works out for it but even then, we can't test it so it's not really much use.

I'd also focus on learning C++ if you haven't started already.

Emmortal

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.