PDA

View Full Version : BlendShapes, Lattice Box, or Joint Scaling

Streetgrime
01-29-2004, 05:26 AM
Hello,

I am trying to do a simple animation of a Character that will stick his stomach in and out at different times. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I find it hard to believe that Blenshapes is the only way to deform the mesh of a skinned model. Not to mention if I wanted the stomach to stick out and bounce around then I would need to create many blendshapes for the different motion that a bouncy thing like a stomach could have.

or EVEN something as simple as a chest puffing up.. like when a person tries to act Tough.. if I scale the bone in the chest area... obviously Everything above it scales (Arms, hands, head) ..

anyhow you get the idea.

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Matt Leishman
01-29-2004, 04:54 PM
the great thing about maya's deformers is that you can use so many of them in so many different combinations to get the end result you need.

you are right, blendshapes are not the only deformer available to use in maya on skinned meshes - what a sad world we would live in if it was. you can use any type of deformer on a skinned mesh. The trick is to find the right deformer (or combination of deformers) on your mesh to get the desired result . . . and therein lies the fun of the whole process - solving the problem of the jiggly belly!!!!

I've never set up a jiggly belly that can be variable sizes, so I can't say "do this, it works for sure!!". But as I think about it now, you could use a blenshape to control the degree to which the belly will increase in size (from skinny to way too bloated). and then on top of that you could use a cluster deformer on the verts of the belly to control the movement of the belly (that cluster would need its influence weights painted appropriately so that they are falliing off the closer you get to the main trunk of the body).

Just a thought . . . like I said there are so many ways to approach this. go nutz and try any of the combinations.

oh, and remember to save before you do all this . . . having this much fun with deformers can sometimes break stuff!! :thumbsup:

Streetgrime
01-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey thanks Sithwarlord!!

I am going to go research Cluster deformers now!

Thanks again for the help.

Matt Leishman
01-29-2004, 07:21 PM
my pleasure . . .

just to give you a heads up, cluster deformers are just a node that allows you to control a group of selected things (components such as verts/faces, or even whole objects as well). In the case with my earlier comment, you would select all the verts that make up the belly area, and go Deform > Create Cluster (or something like that). Now you'll see a little "c" icon appear in the center of your selected verts. that's the cluster handle. by moving it, all the verts move with it. now if you go to Deform > Paint Cluster Weights Tool, you'll be able to change the influence weight for the verts being deformed by the cluster (or in other words, change the amount of influence the cluster's movement has on the verts). This will allow you to paint a smooth fall off of influence weight for the cluster so that the verts around the belly button are being highly affected by the movement of the cluster, and the verts nearest the trunk of the body are being hardly affected by the cluster's movement.

good luck!

Streetgrime
01-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Perfect!!

Thats pretty damn cool....

Well thanks again!!

nottoshabi
01-30-2004, 05:00 PM
The way I do jiggle bellys or jiggle muscles is: I use an influence object and apply softbodyes to the influence object twick the soft bodies so that it afects a specific region and then set how soft or how stiff it showld act. Thats it.

THen when the influence object jiggles the high rez geometry will also jiggle.:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.