PDA

View Full Version : Virtual dummy to try on clothes

RobertoOrtiz
01-29-2004, 01:23 AM
Quote:
"Sweaty battles with tight jeans in cramped fitting rooms could be consigned to history if new technology developed by Toshiba hits the shops.
It has teamed up with a Japanese software company to develop a 3D system which will create a virtual you, who can try on clothes and move as you do.

Video cameras snap the shopper, then clothes and accessories are selected and displayed immediately.

The system is still at an early stage, but it could in use by 2006.

It could be a revolutionary concept for men - and many women - who loathe the experience of shopping and trying on clothing.

">>Link<< (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3430131.stm)

-R

GRMac13
01-29-2004, 06:34 AM
I dunno, I'd rather physically try the clothes on. Peronally, comfort ranks higher than looks in my purchase decisions. The clothes may look good on the virtual me, but how are they gonna feel? Until the 3D me can tell me how comfortable the clothes are, I'll stick to analog shopping. Don't wanna end up with wedgie-inducing jeans and itchy sweaters.

Stahlberg
01-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Exactly, this sounds like one of those expensive stillborn projects, created by people hypnotized by the possibilities, that popped up so often leading up to the IT bubble implosion. I was working on something similar (although web-based), with a company just before the crash, they went bust of course - duh, I mean come on? It's very close to shopping from a catalog, and who in their right mind prefers a catalog if you can find a brick and mortar shop near you? When I buy a new pair of jeans I want them now, not in a week or two, and with all the added risks that come with not having held the object in your hands before paying for it. Plus I can immediately go back to the store if something's wrong. No matter how much I hate physical shopping, I hate the feeling of having been ripped off more. End of rant. :)

swadepgh
01-29-2004, 05:35 PM
I would use it. The only things I buy at the physical store location are things I need to try on and things I need the same day. If I could reliably try on shoes, jeans, etc virtually, I definately would.

I often order things online, try them on, and return them via mail if they don't fit, just because I don't want to deal with the traffic and crowds of people.

I like to shop in the main street urban areas at the locally-owned stores, but malls are terrible places. Unfortunately the local stores don't have everything I need. I say make everything online, then blow up all the shopping malls and strip malls.

Just my two cents.

halo
01-29-2004, 06:27 PM
something like exists for plastic surgery ;)

http://www.alexanderband.dk/dragson/index.htm

F3EF73
01-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Guys, Read: women, shopping, clothes, shoes, (list goes on, and on, and on...).

slaughters
01-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Stahlberg
...and who in their right mind prefers a catalog if you can find a brick and mortar shop near you?Lots of them. Like:

My brother who works so much he never has time to shop.

Single parent households where the parent can never find a baby sitter just so they can go shopping without the kids.

Handicapped people who have dificulties getting out to stores.

People in small towns who want to buy brands like LL Bean, Banana Repiublic, Hot Tropic, etc. yet who do not have a store in there town.

Etc. etc. etc..

pearson
01-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by swadepgh
I would use it. If I could reliably try on shoes, jeans, etc virtually, I definately would.

How could you reliably try on shoes? you would have to take your shoes off to have them scanned (both, since your feet aren't the same), and even then how can a machine tell how comfortable they are?

I can see how you could get a full body scan put in your "file" with the store, and then they could custom make clothes just for you...that would be cool. Kind of like the vans shoes they used to do...

Stahlberg
01-30-2004, 01:03 AM
Lots of them. Like:

Note I wrote: "If you can find a..." All these examples you list would have a harder time finding a store than your average shopper. So it seems this only appeals to a minority, and it seems expensive, so my personal opinion: I wouldn't buy stocks in the venture.

rayboy
01-30-2004, 07:52 AM
we already have them - they're called catwalk models

slaughters
01-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Stahlberg
...So it seems this only appeals to a minority, and it seems expensive, so my personal opinion: I wouldn't buy stocks in the venture. The minority I was talking about is the same minority that powers most mail order and web purchases, which seems to be enough to make a lot of companies a lot of money.

BUT

This system requires you to physically visit the store that has the scanning equipment at least once before you can use the "virtual you". Most people who do mail-order type of purchases will find it akward to drive hours to one specific store and embarassing to get a full body scan.

This need to visit one locale and then subject themselves to the invasion of privacy required by the scanning is what will kill the product.

Stahlberg
01-31-2004, 04:13 AM
Yes, good point.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.