Ziah
01-29-2004, 12:23 AM
whuts the best way to go about doing hair ..hair that will be animated

A) poly hair with aplied text mapps
b) splin hair then and applied fur program

leigh
01-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Sasquatch! Trust me, it's worth the money :D

But that's just my opinion. There really is no reason why poly hair can't be done. In fact it can.

E_Moelzer
01-29-2004, 01:05 AM
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/hair/index.html

This is one solution.
The other one that has been mentioned already is Sasquatch. You could also try to do a combination of both...
CU
Elmar

Ziah
01-29-2004, 01:14 AM
hey i E_MoelzerE z i saw ur tuteon newtek i thinks its urs at least not sure but if so how easy was her hair to animate..

i like he idea of sas leigh but thats $500 im just a student trying to get into a school that will put me in the cg buisness don't have that money

how come i can only pot pics in this forum?

Gatling
01-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Ziah
hey i E_MoelzerE z i saw ur tute i thinks its urs at least not sure but if so how esay was her hair to animate..

i like he idea of sas leigh but tahst $500 im just a student trying to get into a school that will put me in the cg buisness don't have that money

how come i can only pot pics in this forum?

You should gramatically check your posts before OK'ing them.

Ziah
01-29-2004, 01:30 AM
yeah i guess i really need to lol thanx 4 the advice agtling....oops lol:rolleyes:

SplineGod
01-29-2004, 01:41 AM
You can use Saslite, hair guides and Motion Designer to animate hair. Polygonal hair is very doable as well.

Ziah
01-29-2004, 01:49 AM
cool but i want to know the advantages ..interms of

a) animating
I. how easy will they be to animate interms of control and management
II) rendering time
b) realism
I) best realistic look
II) surfacing as to wether i want a couple of strands to have a different color if this is possible with anything lightwave has
III) when animated which will have the most realism toward its motion

E_Moelzer
01-29-2004, 02:01 AM
I think Sas- hairguides are the easiest to handle.
IMHO Sasquatch hair looks best and it renders much (and I mean multiples of times) faster than polygon- hair as well.
However I dont like the drawbacks of an imagefilter- plugin. No raytraced reflections of the hair and no raytraced shadows either...
If you can live with that, use Saquatch, otherwiese I would tend to favour polgon- hair.
Polygon hair also has the advantage that you can literally paint the colors that you want for your hair, with Sasquatch you will have to rely on the more procdural way of defining the look.
Either way is good and both have their pros and cons.
There is no BEST way to do things. The best way always depends on the artist and skills, as well as on budget, rendertime, scene- requirements, etc, etc...

SplineGod
01-29-2004, 02:05 AM
In terms of rendertimes generally Sasquatch will take longer then rendering polys.
Animating - depends on how much control you need. Motion Designer does soft body simulations. That may or may not be what you want. You may want or need to rig it another way (Bones for example) to give you more control. You can use displacement maps, morphs and other things in combination.

Realism - Depends on how good you are at texturing, lighting and animating. :)

Best Realistic Look - See Realism

Surfacing - Its possible to get strands with differing colors using either Saslite or polys.

Most realistic motion - See Animating :)
WIth LW 7.5 I think the most realistic that can be achieved would be thru using Saslite, Motion Designer and an inexpensive plugin called XTool.

E_Moelzer
01-29-2004, 02:19 AM
Hey Larry, the rendertimes seem to depend on the length of the hair. I have never had real fast rendering of poly- hair here, despite very short hair...
CU
Elmar

Brett H.
01-30-2004, 12:38 AM
Or, wait for [8] and use the Cloth dynamics! :)

Brett

hrgiger
01-30-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by E_Moelzer

Polygon hair also has the advantage that you can literally paint the colors that you want for your hair, with Sasquatch you will have to rely on the more procdural way of defining the look.

Not true. You can paint your color maps for sas hair and apply them as textures

E_Moelzer
01-30-2004, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the correction HRGiger.
CU
Elmar

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.