PDA

View Full Version : Ripples

dreamsgate
01-28-2004, 05:29 PM
What do ya think? Is it very realistic?

http://myweb.cableone.net/jprintman/games/ripples.jpg

djcapelis
01-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Not really, ripples aren't so random. The physics controlling them are pretty precise. Perhaps you should rework the ripples a bit, the effect itself is nice, the placement could be more realistic.

Apollux
01-30-2004, 12:25 AM
the ripples look king of realistic.. however, everything else don't :shrug:

dreamsgate
01-30-2004, 01:47 PM
ah well, I was playing with the raytracer and this was actually my first attempt at water.

Although I was aiming for realistic, my images seem to stubbornly stay in what seems to be my style of art.

JamesMK
01-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Sorry for this blunt honesty, but it's entirely unrealistic unfortunately.

The main problems:

1. The lighting. It seems that there is no clear plan for what kind of light you want here. The reflection seems to indicate a fairly blue sky with some fluffy clouds, but the lighting is rather flat, indicating an overcast sky. There is some strange shading on the edges of the leaves, making them look like they don't really belong there. In short, it appears like the water is lit by something entirely different than the leaves, which makes it all look wrong. And I wouldn't use that perlin noise stuff for the reflection - grab a photographic sky texture and use that instead.

2. Material interaction. Leaves floating on the surface of water will be affected by the water. They might not necessarily be wet, but some of them would, and they would also in turn affect the surface itself (surface tension). The leaf textures look rather plastic, you might want to look into some adjustments in the specularity department, try a matching specular map first and see if that makes it better. Various brownish areas in the color map, like damage caused by insects nibbling little pieces away could add a lot as well.

Even though having raytraced reflection and refraction makes it possible to create a believable water scene, you still need to do all this hard work to make the final result realistic. Rendering technology itself can't make that happen unfortunately.

Hope this helps somehow! :)

djcapelis
01-31-2004, 11:05 PM
I wonder if someone could code the realtime engine to help with believable water...

Or a python script...

The movement of the water just seems to be fairly unrealistic, the way the waves are clumped up an all...

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.