PDA

View Full Version : Batch action on a series of Pictures?

XerC
01-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Hi there!

The following situation: I have about 400 pictures shot with my digicam that all need to be color corrected, cropped and resized in a certain way. Afterwards they should each be saved to their original high compression jpeg file.
My question is: is there a way to tell PS7 (or ImageReady) to load all the pictures automatically, then let the scripted action do what it has to and save the whole stuff afterwards? I really don't have the time to open-action-save all the pics manually :hmm:

Would be great if someone could help me!
Thanks a lot!

XerC

dg
01-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi XerC,

Of corse mate, you just need to create an action, to do that you need to record your steps in PS using the actions tab.

Open one of the images that you need to do the ajustments and then go to windows > actions, in the actions tab click on the new icon on the botton of the palette, give a name to the action, you wil notice that the record icon will be on (red), all you need to do now is start do all the generic ajustments to your file (don't get too specific in CC, cause you might end with a bunch of undesired color corrections for certain shots) step by step, like crop/rescale to the specific size, color correct it, and even the save step, when you're done just press stop button.

Now close your image without save or save it to a different directory or a different name, case you need to record the format and options for the file (which I think it's your case), but don't replace you original (source), since this image will probably be processed in the batch, and you will not want double CC, and double recompression :)

Now go to File > Batch..., a window will open in this window choose the action you've created and set source to "Folder" and choose the folder that contains the files to be processed, this done set the same thing to destination, personally I'm used to create a folder specifically to the files to be processed.

Below that you have the "Override "Save As" Commands", this is self explanatory, it will overide the save format and option that you set in your action case you recorded them. You can also rename your files in the process, actions are way cool.

I hope this helps ,
Good luck!
dg

XerC
01-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi diogo!

Thank you very much for your effort. I will try this immediately.

Thanks!!! :beer:

Greetings,
XerC

dg
01-28-2004, 06:49 PM
You welcom mate :)

Hope this works, and you get work done

Cheers,
dg

Mountain Man
01-30-2004, 07:52 AM
If those pictures have different color needs, an action may give you bad results. Try not to get too picture specific. (although even corrections like generic black/white points need to be decided on a case by case basis)

Brooks

XerC
01-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi Mountain Man!
Of course you are right. There is no use getting too specific, especially when there are portraits, landscapes, in- and outdoor and even flash pictures within the batch process.
But my digicam is of very low quality (ricoh caplio g3) and the images usually have the same trouble: a little too dark, too low contrast and too much noise. Also, I have to resize them in order to print them on photo paper... All these steps are easily automated and so it's a great time saver for me!

Cheers!
Felix / XerC

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.