PDA

View Full Version : Violence Doesn't Sell

HamsaPaksham
01-28-2004, 04:19 PM
According to a recent study conducted by NPD Group, sales of violent videogames declined sharply last year. Mature rated games represented 11.9% of software sales in 2003, down from 13.2% a year earlier. That represents approximately $833 million in revenue generated from violent games. Of the 10 best-selling console titles of the year, only "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" was rated mature. Sales of violent games declined amid a boom in the software market last year. Sales of game software rose more than 5% last year to $5.8 billion.

My comments:
I think Grand Theft Auto Sells not because itīs violent, but because itīs an very well thought and executed game.
For those who think extreme mature games is a trend, it is not anymore... Viva Mario!!!

Source: Polygon Magazine (http://www.polygonmag.com/news/index.php?id=1599)

ICO88
01-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Another way to gauge this trend is compare the sales of games which are not mature to mature games. How well does Ratchet and Clank sell. JakII just became edgier and more mature. Is it selling better then the lighthearted first game.

I used wish games were more mature and less childs toys. Now I deeply regret that. Beyond Good and Evil and Ico sell poorly others sell ver well.

Northchild
01-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Violence does not equal maturity.

Spankspeople
01-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Excessive violence, for the point of violence, in my opinion, is far more immature than Mario has ever been and will ever be.

slaughters
01-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Never heard of the "NPD Group" group. Why should I beleive their statistics ?

headengine
01-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Never heard of the "NPD Group" group. Why should I beleive their statistics ?

Er - because almost everyone in the games industry believes their statistics?

Just a thought.... ;)

slaughters
01-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by headengine
Er - because almost everyone in the games industry believes their statistics?

Just a thought.... ;) Just out of interest, who is "everyone"? It would be nice if there were links or info I could check out for myself instead of relying on somewhat anonymous declaratiions from a graphics forum post.

Just a thought.... ;)

pseudoE
01-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by slaughters
Just out of interest, who is "everyone"? It would be nice if there were links or info I could check out for myself instead of relying on somewhat anonymous declaratiions from a graphics forum post.

Just a thought.... ;)

fancy new search device called "google" gave me this:

http://www.npd.com/clients/clients_index.html

MCronin
01-28-2004, 10:07 PM
NPD tracks all sorts of entertainment and consumer data. As far as games are concerend they track like 80+ percent of all game retail outlets so their information is very accurrate. All game companies, partiuclarly console companies live and die by NPD's data. The data shows trends in sales that effect what types of games most publishers decide to produce or not produce, and investors use their data to watch the market and make projections. NPD's data has a whole lot of sway in the games industry.

If you ever work for a game company you'll become very familiar with NPD. I think subscriptions to their data run like 5,000 dollars a year now.

slaughters
01-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by MCronin
NPD tracks all sorts of entertainment and consumer data. As far as games are concerend they track like 80+ percent of all game retail outlets ...Thanks MCronin that's what I needed to know

If you ever work for a game company...Not even if you shoved hot pokers under my eyelids.

headengine
01-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Sarcasm. I love it. All you try and do is make a little joke and someone fires it back in your face... oh well.

headengine
01-28-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm just glad that violence doesn't sell. If we can believe NPD that is...

Iysun
01-28-2004, 11:50 PM
im glad im not the only one that seems to hate GTA, i really tried to liek them as well, i just find them totaly boring, im not againt violance or gore in games, i really dont care whats in a game as long as its humane.

most importent thing in games imho is fun factor, no matter the content

AJ
01-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by AnotherHell
im glad im not the only one that seems to hate GTA,

*re-reads thread*

erm - I think you are... (at least, from those who have contributed)

:shrug: :p :D

luceric
01-29-2004, 01:04 AM
Violence Doesn't Sell

Sure it does!
"If you don't buy my product, I'll break your legs! "
I rest my case.

halo
01-29-2004, 01:07 AM
could it just mean there were less new mature games for sale during that period?

moovieboy
01-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by HamsaPaksham
According to a recent study conducted by NPD Group, sales of violent videogames declined sharply last year. Mature rated games represented 11.9% of software sales in 2003, down from 13.2% a year earlier. That represents approximately $833 million in revenue generated from violent games. Of the 10 best-selling console titles of the year, only "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" was rated mature. Sales of violent games declined amid a boom in the software market last year. Sales of game software rose more than 5% last year to $5.8 billion.

Imo, these statistics don't hold much water...

First of all, a 1.3% drop isn't worth highlighting. Second, there are just too many variables: Gamecubes dropping in price, the overall quality of 2003's "mature" games compared to 2002, the "boom" in software games (whatever that truly means), etc.

If a quality mature game, such as the Metal Gear series, premiered in 2003, there could possibly have been a rise in "violent game sales" yes? So, if these stats can be manipulated by one or two titles, I don't see what they clearly contribute... :shrug:

-Tom

FloydBishop
01-29-2004, 02:13 AM
Forget the NPD.

For quality violence, look no farther than NYPD Blue.

http://www.nypdblue.org/Jealous/991.jpg

Iysun
01-29-2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by AJ_23
*re-reads thread*

erm - I think you are... (at least, from those who have contributed)

:shrug: :p :D

i read it wrong the first time

doh! :eek:

LisaT
01-29-2004, 04:01 AM
Really good news (if this conclusion *is* an accurate deduction from NPD's stats)...

What I want to ask is if gaming companies should be pressured to commit to investing more in non-violent games, just like we'd pressure Nike to pay fair wages and Shell Oil to commit to more ethical environmental practices. Think of what social problems games are (or could be since it's hard to prove) causing now and how it could escalate in the future...

I suspect the fact that so many games are so violent is that the industry has partially driven the market rather than the other way around like it should be. Interesting to hear what all of yas think about this too...?

I agree that GTA's popularity has a lot to do with the fact that the game holds so many possibilities for the player to explore and follow thru... Surely no matter how realistic or engaging it is the first time you beat up some random pedestrian, the novelty wanes... and it's the actual game plot and play that engages you...

BTW, AnotherHell, if you're looking for moral support, personally I hate the game just because of the violence.

scoogee
01-29-2004, 07:05 AM
I don't think violence was ever meant to be the selling point of a game. Just because the GTA series focused on criminal life, I think the bigger selling point of the game was that it's gameplay wasn't linear. Which brings me to my next point...Gameplay.

If you're buying a game just because you can shoot a man's head off and play soccer with it, you're a grade-A idiot. Gameplay is why people buy games...or at least it should be. You don't buy a game that doesn't respond to you. When was the last time someone said, "Hey! The game I just bought is wicked!! You can hit people with hockey sticks! Oh, but the control is horrible. You should buy it though." We all played Goldeneye because it was easy to operate and well thought out in terms of controller use, menu interface, and interaction within the game. Honestly, Halo isn't anything special but Halo was a great FPS on the console. However, what makes it so great is not firefights, but it's fantastic multiplayer system. This is the game that rivaled Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Since those two games nothing had come close to FPS multiplayer glory.

So really it all boils down to how much fun you can have with your friends. Who likes playing games solo every night?

katakana
01-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Im not a big fan of violence in any form, and it always makes me happy when consumers opt for less violence. (Though I would never avocate government intervention) I think that there is to much violence in media (Especialy the news). Just my 2yen.

HamsaPaksham
01-29-2004, 01:16 PM
I was shocked the first time I saw Grand Theft Auto.
Itīs rated mature, but the kids always end up playing.
And the most terrible is that they think is cool, natural. And funny.
What makes it so shocking is that it makes you feel so real and natural... The violence is gratuituos...

SaucyJack
01-29-2004, 01:38 PM
This arguement is as old as the hills. Nothing has ever been proven equating violence in real life to violence in video-games.

So c'mon. Don't be soft, have a fight!

:thumbsup:

staticneuron
01-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Personally I can't really get into GTA3 because most of the people that around me that play the game just seem to try to kill for hours and hours. I personally think that is very immature. Normally the violence I have seen in video games are there to take away the obsticles in your way of the goal. Gta3 is so open that you don't need to get to a goal you can just kill and steal for the hell of it. Now the way I see it it's not the games fault it is the people who play the game. People would be violent no matter what. Whether there is a video game in front of them or a gun. Look at soccer games worldwide or at hockey games. People as a whole should stop trying to place blame and take a deep look at themselves.

Gwot
01-29-2004, 05:12 PM
What I want to ask is if gaming companies should be pressured to commit to investing more in non-violent games, just like we'd pressure Nike to pay fair wages and Shell Oil to commit to more ethical environmental practices. Think of what social problems games are (or could be since it's hard to prove) causing now and how it could escalate in the future...

Wow, what an ignorant and self-righteous thing to say. Perhaps you'd also like to be told what kind of books you can read or write or what images you can look at or produce?

As a video game designer I'm appalled that you would wish that kind of censorship upon me and my work.

Maybe you just don't get it. A lot of game designers grew up playing games. We still like playing games and as adults we may want more than just pacman or asteroids to fulfill our gaming interests. A lot of us make games that WE as adults would want to play. It's not my fault if YOU the consumer can't take more responsibility for your entertainment or your kids entertainment.

We even put our own ratings on our games because WE are taking some responsibility where nobody else would. Whose fault is it if the sleazy game shop owner is willing to sell to a minor to make an extra buck? Whose fault is it when a kid asks their parents to buy a game for them that is rated mature and they do it without even reading the back of the package, just so it will shut them up for a few more hours?

I would never let my kids play violent games unless they could prove that they were capable of handling them.

Quit passing the blame and take some responsibility for cryin' out loud. Exercise your right NOT to partake. And for god sakes don't let your kids play violent games until you feel they are mature enough to understand the difference between a game and reality.

I suspect the fact that so many games are so violent is that the industry has partially driven the market rather than the other way around like it should be. Interesting to hear what all of yas think about this too...?

So fight with your wallet rather than lobbying for censorship and taking away other people's freedom.

Brettzies
01-29-2004, 05:48 PM
This seems like a fairly odd statement: Violence doesn't sell.

Maybe they mean games rate "M" don't sell? Even if these statistics are good, are they just based on ratings? How many "M" games are out there. An "M" rating probably involves more then just violence anyway. More like ultra-violent with some sex thrown in for good messure, and a couple of F bombs.

Most games involve some type of "hitting" or "shooting." Even football and hockey are violent sports. So, though they may be less violent then say GTA type games, they still have plenty of violence, just maybe no blood and graphic gore. Seems more like the presentation determines whether a game is "M" but most are violent or involve some type of violence.

I really don't know, I'm just asking. How many games get or really want an "M" rating? It's just like movies, unless you are true to the type of film you want to make, you're going to go for PG or PG-13 to get the widest audience and most ticket sells.

JamesKo
01-30-2004, 06:11 AM
i agree that best part of GTA is the freedom, not the gory. imagine future generations of GTA where player has complete freedom to do anything. Knock down a building with some rocket grenades! Or just go in any building you want to.

i rarely kill the civs in GTA, just drive around in all the vehicles.

Iysun
01-30-2004, 06:26 AM
well i have to say that i think violence in the media does cuase certain poeple to do stupid things, however those poeple would get set off at many things, i play violent video games, and im not a violent person. are all the people that play gta, or listen to death metal, or gangster rap murderers? no, and the odd people that do get infuenced to go out and buy a gun and shoort soemone cuz they seen it in a game, are unstable to begin with

just my 2 cents

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.