PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Habib Zargarpour

raffael3d
01-28-2004, 11:45 AM
http://www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=35

headengine
01-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the link.

I am a massive fan of some of the shows Habib has worked on in the past at ILM - Perfect Storm, Podrace Sequence from SW:EP1.

He's an amazingly talented and clever guy. I knew he was at EA but I didn' t know where... now he's obviously been working on another hit in NFS:Underground (5 million+ units and counting!)

With the addition of guys of his calibre added to already great games teams, I'm looking forward to seeing what he is working on next!

:thumbsup:

ZONKS
01-29-2004, 08:12 PM
It is somewhat surprising to find him working on games now instead of some of the limit-pushing features he was at the centre of. This guy's an innovator, and I'm just wondering how much of an opportunity he'll get for that working on games at EA. Don't get me wrong, EA is an exemplary studio that's always pushed out great stuff. This shouldn't be construed as something elitist either; I just think Habib could serve the (our?) world better doing bigger things.

FClub_TDurden
01-29-2004, 09:13 PM
At siggraph I asked him that question at the EA booth and his response was that he has more creative freedom doin games....its its quicker...

ZONKS
01-29-2004, 09:29 PM
True. And EA has a reputation for working against the factory-like tendencies of large studios. I'm sure it comes down to the personal satisfaction of having the ability to make decisions rather than heedlessly following demands--and I'd be the first to sympathise with that--but Habib is capable of creativity beyond what game production requires, IMO. EA, like ILM, is a well-oiled machine, and often very little changes from one game to the next. That can be the case in feature-film effects, but not if you're at his level. It's not a coincidence that he was often chosen to create new means for a certain effect or specific scene.

I guess all I'm saying is that Habib could be put to better use :D.

malducin
01-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Not necessarily because games provide their own sets of challenges. Sure movie VFX have a lot more money, complexity (technical, visual, etc.) thrown in, but other aspects of games can be challenges. Like doing real time dynamics or good AI in games which are not trivial. At a talk Habib gave at SIGGRAPH (2001 I believe, it was LA for sure) he was amazed how good some dynamics were in games (say some flight simulators). Sure they were crude compared to movie dynamics simulations but the fact that those games did it real time is the astonishing fact.

It's not like Habib was tired of ILM or needed the challenges and creativity in games altogether, but his family is back there in Canada. That weighed a lot on his decission when the good offer came.

Actually EA is very ambitious and scoops up VFX people. Former ILM members Dave Carson, Jay Riddle and Henry LaBounta (who was also at PDI) joined EA. I know at least Dave Carson was Art Director for the Kames Bond Nightfire game.

pearson
01-30-2004, 12:10 AM
hehe, maybe he's on a working vacation...:thumbsup: Take a couple of years off "working" on games...

When he sees how the game industry really is, he'll jump back to movies again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.