PDA

View Full Version : Texturing an object with a colour of "Black"?

HapZungLam
06-26-2002, 07:50 PM
No matter which kind of object: a television, a car, or a phone. If I want to put their colour as black, i just dont' know how to do.

Since, usually i put a lighter colour on the diffuse, and the opposite dark color on the ambien, opposite bright color on the specular. It seems work out on any color.

Therefore it is kind of hard to make black on objects. It either turns out completely black or if i put a little bit gray on diffuse, they object will become gray more than black.

So, anyone can give me an idea what colour should i put on the diffuse, ambien, and spec on a black object?

leigh
06-27-2002, 07:11 AM
Hmmm... ummm... firstly what software are you using?
I cannot understand how you can't get a black surface hehehehe :surprised
By the way, don't bother putting a colour in ambient - it's useless :p
Also, why are you putting colour into the specular? Is it for colour highlights? Are you giving it one flat colour? Because if you are, then obviously if a light shines on it, you will only see that colour...

Maybe post a render, to illustrate this conundurum a bit clearer? :)

HapZungLam
06-27-2002, 03:39 PM
i am using XSI 2.02

http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/blackobject.jpg

I put a completly back on ambien. a little bit of gray on the diffuse. If i put complety black on the diffuse. you will see only a black dot with specular on it.

it just not look right. I mean, a black object isn't completly black. but if i put a little bit of gray there, it will make the object looks like gray more than black.

leigh
06-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Hmmmm... I'm having diffiulty understanding exactly what the problem is now... :hmm:
What is wrong with the black surface that you have here?
Also, I'm not sure why you are wondering about this, when you would never use just a flat colour for any object :surprised

Once you add an image map or procedural for the colour, then surely it doesn't matter what these base settings are?

You mentioned a television, a car, or a phone as examples. Well, even if you were texturing these, then you wouldn't ever use just a flat colour, you would have some kind of texture map used as the colour. So why would it matter what these settings are?

HapZungLam
06-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Is that i should create a texture map that is base on black. add a little bit of settle adjustment on the black. map it as a texture? is that what you mean?

Then it is another question. say i want to texture the black television. what kind of settle adjustment on the texture you would add. i mean in general.

since base on "what i see, is what i get". I see a television is just a black box. nothing more and nothing less. All 5 surface is just a plane black surfaces. how do i make it more realistic.

leigh
06-27-2002, 04:13 PM
Well, it's just that nothing has a constant perfect colour - all surfaces in the real world have subtle variations in colour along their surfaces.
If you look at a TV, yeah it does look completely solid black. But if you looks closely, there will be small changes here and there. Especially with something like a TV - when it is handled, it gets marks on it, things like scratches and smears, and those kind of things alter the colour across small portions of the surface.

And so, yeah, what I mean is make a texture map with the colour in it - variations and all, and map it on :)

The best thing I can suggest is to study a TV closely, and, if you can, get some close-up photos of the plastic that it is made from. Then use those photos as the base for your colour maps.

Remember, it's detail that makes cg realistic - the more of it (even though it is subtle), the better your stuff will look ;)

HapZungLam
06-27-2002, 04:53 PM
Thx Leigh

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.