PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel : Baron

Lordrych
01-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey guys just got this finished up and thought i would show it to everyone hope you guys like it would love some crits on it too.

Demo Reel (http://omissbrown.com/baron/Demo_Reel_Baron.mpg)

Right click and Save as.....

Rych

Lordrych
01-28-2004, 05:28 AM
Hey guys i would really like some comments on this, It is important to me to find out what everone's criticisms are.

Rych

dudeguy
01-28-2004, 06:23 AM
A friend told me to look at your reel and said that I would be able to help you out...I took a look, you have some decent models, but there's a few things that you may want to consider...

The biggest problem I found with your reel is the turnarounds.

Your camera is all over the place and has a very CG free floating feel, which I think is a big problem in CG, just because you are using CG, doesn't neccessarily mean you want to be flying anywhere you can, just because you can. In my opinion some of the best CG cameras are when you don't notice them and have the feel that a real camera operator is behind them.

With all that being said, personally I don't like to use the camera for turnarounds, it's more things to animate, it's more difficult to light and very rarely does it look good.

Try just keeping your camera completely still and rotating the axis of the model's platform instead, I can almost guarantee that the results will look a lot better than what you have.

Secondly, the cuts, I'm not even sure what kind of transition that would be called, but lose the "explosive picture into scrambling squares" It does not look good. If you can find me a movie that makes use of that, let me rephrase that, a good movie that makes use of that, I'll buy you a beer.

Keep it simple, just use a fade or even a straight cut would be better.

Hope this helps.

Keep at it and good luck!

Lordrych
01-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on the reel, and yes i will fix all of that.................I will especially take your advice on the camera, i was feeling the cuts were a little to much. My other question what do you think of the music?

Rych

dudeguy
01-28-2004, 08:04 AM
Nothing wrong with daft punk, I think the music works fine, it's nice and upbeat.

Lordrych
01-29-2004, 04:14 AM
Thanks, any other comments?

Clockwork
01-29-2004, 06:34 AM
What kind of codec are you using for this, I couldn't open the file in either WIndows Media Player or Quicktime.

Lordrych
01-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Divix codec 5.1.1

Rych

Stormy151
01-29-2004, 07:58 AM
I can't view it either, and I have DivX 5.1.1. I even tried using the DivX player, I get "Cannot play file. Please check that it is a valid avi or Mpeg-4 file."

kiaran
01-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Show unsmoothed versions of your models and lose the crazy cuts, they are way to distracting. Great models though and nice work.

mattmos
01-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Can't open your demo reel mate. It's got an mpg extension but it's encoded with divx, which I thought only worked with .avi files. Could that be a problem? Normally I don't have trouble opening mpegs or divx format files posted here.

Strang
01-29-2004, 04:27 PM
similar problem...

encode again, and post plz:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.