PDA

View Full Version : Lord of The Rings: Gets 11 Oscar Nominations(and the full oscar nomination list)

macqdor
01-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Oscar announcements give Lord of the Rings

11 Nominations

including Best Picture nod.

could be the 1st fantasy film to ever win.

lildragon
01-27-2004, 02:17 PM
You might want to post a link, here's one http://www.oscarwatch.com

salud

RobertoOrtiz
01-27-2004, 03:10 PM
ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Johnny Depp - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
Ben Kingsley - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Jude Law - COLD MOUNTAIN
Bill Murray - LOST IN TRANSLATION
Sean Penn - MYSTIC RIVER

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alec Baldwin - THE COOLER
Benicio Del Toro - 21 GRAMS
Djimon Hounsou - IN AMERICA
Tim Robbins - MYSTIC RIVER
Ken Watanabe - THE LAST SAMURAI

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Keisha Castle-Hughes - WHALE RIDER
Diane Keaton - SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE
Samantha Morton - IN AMERICA
Charlize Theron - MONSTER
Naomi Watts - 21 GRAMS

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Shohreh Aghdashloo - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Patricia Clarkson - PIECES OF APRIL
Marcia Gay Harden - MYSTIC RIVER
Holly Hunter - THIRTEEN
Renée Zellweger - COLD MOUNTAIN

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
BROTHER BEAR
FINDING NEMO
THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE

ART DIRECTION
GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING
THE LAST SAMURAI
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
SEABISCUIT

CINEMATOGRAPHY
CITY OF GOD
COLD MOUNTAIN
SEABISCUIT

COSTUME DESIGN
THE LAST SAMURAI
SEABISCUIT

DIRECTING
CITY OF GOD
LOST IN TRANSLATION
MYSTIC RIVER

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
BALSEROS
CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS
THE FOG OF WAR
MY ARCHITECT
THE WEATHER UNDERGROUND

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
ASYLUM
CHERNOBYL HEART
FERRY TALES

FILM EDITING
CITY OF GOD
COLD MOUNTAIN
SEABISCUIT

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS
EVIL
THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI
TWIN SISTERS
ŽELARY

MAKEUP
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

MUSIC (SCORE)
BIG FISH
COLD MOUNTAIN
FINDING NEMO
HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG

MUSIC (SONG)
"Into the West" - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
"A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" - A MIGHTY WIND
"Scarlet Tide" - COLD MOUNTAIN
"The Triplets of Belleville" - THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE
"You Will Be My Ain True Love" - COLD MOUNTAIN

BEST PICTURE
LOST IN TRANSLATION
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
BOUNDIN'
DESTINO
GONE NUTTY
HARVIE KRUMPET
NIBBLES

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
DIE ROTE JACKE (The Red Jacket)
MOST (The Bridge)
SQUASH
(A) TORZIJA ([A] Torsion)
TWO SOLDIERS

SOUND
THE LAST SAMURAI
SEABISCUIT

SOUND EDITING
FINDING NEMO

VISUAL EFFECTS

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
AMERICAN SPLENDOR
CITY OF GOD
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS
DIRTY PRETTY THINGS
FINDING NEMO
IN AMERICA
LOST IN TRANSLATION

>>link<< (http://www.oscar.com/nominees/nomineelist.html)

-R

Breinmeester
01-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Wow good score for Finding Nemo as well! And Cidade Deus, nice! Keisha Castle-Hughes being nominated for best actress is pretty amazing too.

roger
01-27-2004, 04:37 PM
I just watched PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL again last night and as much as I liked/loved the FX work in THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING I would not be disappointed if PIRATES win the VISUAL EFFECTS award.
The FX in PIRATES are sooooo GOOD! :thumbsup:

macqdor
01-27-2004, 05:01 PM
I love LOTR and I hope it wins all of them. But if Pirates wins for Fx then I would be just as happy.

ILM did a good job with "Pirates" as did WETA.

Supervlieg
01-27-2004, 05:07 PM
I hope they gab a lot of those oscars. I think it would be hard to pass Peter Jackson up for a third time.

Moo 4.5
01-27-2004, 08:10 PM
It’s a surprise Sean Astin didn’t get a Nomination. He did such and awesome job in the whole trilogy especially ROTK. Maybe they thought there were too many actors to choose from. Any way I hope Johnny Depp wins, he's one bad ass actor.

moovieboy
01-27-2004, 11:05 PM
So, I notice the Matrix sequels were completely shut out of the categories they dominated just a few years ago... My, how far we've fallen...

-Tom

WhiteRabbitObj
01-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Heh, let's not dig up the hatred of the Matrix fanboys, moovieboy.

I too, hope that Johnny Depp wins, he was incredible. I also agree that if Pirates wins best VFX it would be deserved, if only because of what they achieved in so short a time. Plus, there were no questionable shots in that film that I can think of. ROTK had a few shots that could have used more work, however, it's far more ambitious. So who knows!

It truly is a shame that neither Sean Astin or Andy Serkis were nominated, it's kind of crappy really.

heavyness
01-27-2004, 11:15 PM
yeah, no maxtrix? they even had two movies out this year and nothing! who did the Wachowski Brothers piss off in Hollywood I wonder?

and they should at least nominate 1 person for their acting in LOTR [Frodo, Sam, or Gandalf] or give an Oscar to the person in charge of casting for LOTR because that was the greatest cast i've seen in a long time.

macqdor
01-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Was it not here in CGTalk where Keith(macqdor) mentioned in late 2003 and 2004 we'd be asking the questions "Matrix who?"

feels like that movie came out 20 years a go, its so forgotten.

Cararan
01-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Wow no matrix. Thats hollywood for you.

Spankspeople
01-28-2004, 12:17 AM
No Sean Astin or Andy Serkis... *sigh*

Maybe they didn't watch the movies before nominating people..?

Tan
01-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Cararan
Wow no matrix. Thats hollywood for you.

but don't you think that nominating Matrix would've been the hollywood thing to do?

Just because there's a ton of fx does not a nomination make, that would like be too easy, like buying your way through to the oscars. There's got to be some quality control. Matrix 2 & 3 were horrendous, to see them with oscar nods would be a sin.

floguyep
01-28-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Tan
Matrix 2 & 3 were horrendous, to see them with oscar nods would be a sin.
Seriously, don't state an opinion (even if it's a popular one) as fact, as I wholeheartedly disagree.

Virum
01-28-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Tan
but don't you think that nominating Matrix would've been the hollywood thing to do?

Just because there's a ton of fx does not a nomination make, that would like be too easy, like buying your way through to the oscars. There's got to be some quality control. Matrix 2 & 3 were horrendous, to see them with oscar nods would be a sin.

Even IF the movie was bad (I won't state my opinion) it should not have had its special fx snubbed. That's like saying if a movie had really great acting and great story but really crappy visual effects, it shouldn't get any acting nominations. There are CATEGORIES for a reason. If a film is great in all the categories, it gets a best picture nomination.

Or it should. We all know the films/people that should win/be nominated rarely do/are....<cough>Johhny Depp, Sean Astin, Andy Serkis, Elijah Wood.</cough>

Unraveled
01-28-2004, 04:35 AM
I'm disappointed Sean Astin didn't get the nomination for best supporting actor. He was outstanding in RoTK

JB
01-28-2004, 04:41 AM
The Hollywooders take the actors in LOTR for granted. They want big stars and over-the-top performances to fill out the nomination list it seems. :shrug:

Tan
01-28-2004, 04:51 AM
Okay, Matrix 2 & 3 were not horrendous.

They were suodnerroh

malducin
01-28-2004, 07:23 AM

Not exactly. The Academy likes to nominate either big epics or little barely seen but critically acclaimed films. They want to appear they are nomianting something "worthy". Seldom would they nominate something which has critically panned and not received well by the public.

Although speaking of the Matrix films you would expect them to have some nods in the technical categories, since the nominees are chosen by panels of experts, not the memberhip at large. The VFX branch presdent, Richard Edlund, was just interviewed by Don Shay and he said he was certainly surprised that Matrix 3 didn't make it to the 7 Bake-Off finalists. Wherever you accept his explanation is something else.

CGmonkey
01-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Yaaay a swedish film got nominated.. Awesome ^_^

Breinmeester
01-28-2004, 12:09 PM
I hear people in here are almost always talking about the big fx-laden movies when it comes to films. I enjoied the Matrix sequels, but they are no Oscar material. Even in the vfx department there were better films.
I too would have loved to see Andy Serkis nominated.

EDIT: A Dutch film got nominated too, 'Twin Sisters' (De Tweeling), but I didn't really like the film and I don't think it's really good for the Dutch film it got nominated.

Magnum Jones
01-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Really nice to see "Cidade de Deus" (City of God) nominated.
I hope it wins some.

I also hope for Bill Murray as Best Actor!:thumbsup:

silverstallion
01-28-2004, 03:44 PM
I think the VFX in ROTK were way better than POTC. You can't compare the scale and ambition between the two. In one movie you have animated pirates with flawless compositing, and in the other you have Oliphants, characters, ghosts, orcs, settings, 100000 soldiers, and the list goes on. Personally, i would be disappointed if POTC wins the VFX category.

Rogue
01-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by floguyep
Seriously, don't state an opinion (even if it's a popular one) as fact, as I wholeheartedly disagree.

Some facts aren't obviously true.....like the world being round or matter being made up of tiny pieces our eyes can't see.

Other facts are obviously true....the sky is blue, fire is hot, and the Matrix II and III sucks.

Some truths are just self evident.....

vfx fan
01-28-2004, 06:11 PM
I personally would like to see "Master & Commander" win. It was the best movie of the year and had perfectly seamless fx, methinks. Plus, I'm getting tired of seeing "Lord of the Rings" win.

Overall, a good set of vfx nominees. I'm just disappointed in the abscence of "Hulk" in that category -- I felt it was more deserving of a nod than "Pirates of the Caribbean."

And "Big Fish" really deserved to get more nominations than Best Score, which it WON'T win.

And "Kill Bill: Volume 1" wasn't nominated for ANYTHING? That's my other complaint. Why?

Oh well, I guess I can be thankful for what I have. Though I might start paying attention to the Saturn Awards from now on, since they more or less know what they are nominating.

HamsaPaksham
01-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Yes!!! City of God got 4 nominations!!! This is an great achiviement for an foreign movie!
GO Brazil, GO!!!

And for the LOTR: I think it´s zillion of effects, superb photography, etc...But the movie per se is so "over". (But remember, it´s my personal opinion).

As for the Matrix sequels: (this is my opinion) sorry guys, I know you like VFX... but they weren´t a movie, maybe they were a game, a videoclip, whatever you want to call.

malducin
01-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Personally, i would be disappointed if POTC wins the VFX category.

Just take it philosophically. It's the whole membership that votes. Just remember that a few years ago Gladiator, with less than 90 VFX shots, won over the juggernauts of Hollow Man and Perfect Storm (kinda similar to your argument). It's just an award ;-).

silverstallion
01-28-2004, 08:29 PM
^^ true that..... never though of it that way i guess.

Pablo3d
01-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Why are 5 movies nominated for sound but only 3 for the vfx category? Room for the matrix sequels?

Are there any threads on the animated short films or the french film THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE? I'd like to learn more about these films.

vfx fan
01-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Apparently, the vfx nominating committee thinks there are not enough vfx movies per year for five movies to be nominated. I think it's a bunch of horsesh*t myself, since pretty much every movie these days has some kind of fx.

Well then, if it's five categories, why not nominate the current Oscar nominees and "The Matrix Revolutions" and "Hulk?" ("The Matrix Reloaded" wasn't submitted for consideration in the first place.)

JamesKo
01-30-2004, 06:26 AM
i love rotk, but i agree that a few shots coud have used more work. The "you bow to no one" blue screening was too obvious. I also cringed a bit at the animation for the elf climbing up the elephent.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.