PDA

View Full Version : vehicle: Jagdpanther

digidog
01-26-2004, 09:50 PM
I went for the WWII archive photo look.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/jp3.jpg

Boristone
01-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Excelent picture...I like the tanks of the WWII....and thid is a good model in 3d...but one question...the environment is a photograph? :rolleyes:

Xtra
01-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Yes, I think the background is a photo but the compositing is very well done. A really good image! :thumbsup:

sula_nebouxi
01-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Absolutely incredible. I would be amazed if the entire pic is 3d. Looking at the tank, I wouldn't be surprised if digidog could pull it off.

My hat's off to you, I can't find anything to critique. It is, for lack of a better word, perfect. :buttrock:

:zepedro:
01-27-2004, 02:52 AM
Amazing picture!!!

Well done tank... but the compositing... :bounce:
in a word: perfect
stands for a real photo of propaganda:)

MaTaDoR
01-27-2004, 03:01 AM
wow, If I didnt see the model on your site i'd call you a liar.. good work. :)

Sqwall
01-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Cool image man. I love the dirt on the back of the tank.

mikepolizos
01-27-2004, 10:05 AM
WOW!!!
Great model,textures and composition!

I would like to see a wire if you please!

Grear job.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

evan
01-27-2004, 10:39 AM
VERY nice! Well done!

MrCup
01-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Very nice.

The only problem I have is it's too good.
Film quality of that time generaly gave a grainer photo. The sharpness makes it look like a modern B&W photo taken of a tank that survived the war.

Jocke
01-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Wow! I have to admit that I thought that this was a photo, and if I did not see your model at your site, I probably still would think this! Amazing composite, would it be possible to se a set-up of the scene!?

digidog
01-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks for taking a look guys and thanks for all the positive remarks.

For those that asked, the background is a digital photo that was composited with a render pass and a shadow catcher pass.

MrCUp, I've got some grainier versions too but I didn't want to obscure the model too much posting here. I'll upload one for you to check out.

Jocke, I'll post a scene setup shot too and some other info. Give me a day or two.

Kozhe
01-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Great work! :)

kodinaarian
01-27-2004, 09:40 PM
i like the feel of the image, keep it up.:scream:

digidog
01-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Here are a few wires as requested:
Side view:-
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/wire1.jpg

Top view:-
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/wire2.jpg

Scene view:-
This one shows how I loaded the photo into the background and used the openGL preview to align the ground mesh (which was used in the shadow catcher pass) and the tank (scaling to fit the ruts in the mud).
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/wire3.jpg

ShadowM8
01-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Absolutely stunning picture!
Unfortunately the pictures in your last post are not showing!

P.S. I'm working on a ww2 animation short, if you're interested in perhaps working together PM me!

Sceme
01-29-2004, 07:54 AM
wow...heh...how did u do those tiremarks on ground?...

U did a great job on matching the tank and background. Love it :)

Breyne
01-29-2004, 12:38 PM
one of the most realistic scenes I've ever seen here. Not that I'm here for a very long time, but this is really stunning.

digidog
01-29-2004, 06:02 PM
I've fixed the links to the wires in the previous post - sorry about that (I'm still figuring out how things work here)

Originally posted by Sceme
wow...heh...how did u do those tiremarks on ground?...

U did a great job on matching the tank and background. Love it :)

Thanks. The tiremarks are real. They were made by a 4x4 tha had driven through the mud early that morning. I cloned out the tracks in front of the tank to make it look like they'd been made by the tank.

Clockwork
01-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Nice composite, great blend between rw/cg. My only comment is the way the light hits the trees makes the shadows and light on the tank look a tad off, but still a fantastic model and composite none the less!

jwilk
01-29-2004, 07:52 PM
This is great image and nice to see how it was composited. Could you say what software you are using, I cannot tell from the screen shots.Thanks

Myce
01-29-2004, 09:27 PM
brilliant work man, looks awsome, and very impressive.
you can hide alot of things when its black and white, dont have to worry about color correction an stuff, but very nice non the less.
Just something that someone brought up the lighting on the trees to the right are different to the lighting of the tank, looks like the lights comin from the right but you seem to have the lighting of the tank to be coming from the front left of it, just a minor thing, wudnt have noticed it if someone hadnt pointed it out.
Keep up the good work man.:applause:

BazyBen
01-29-2004, 09:50 PM
very, very, very nice!!
great model and composite :thumbsup:

DoctorStopMo
01-30-2004, 02:05 AM
Excellent image - looks like a photograph.

Dan Platt
01-30-2004, 02:25 AM
What more can I add, its simpy remarkable! Brilliant modeling, briliant rendering, brilliant texturing, brilliant compositing and if that wasn't enough, absolutely authentic.

Cheers!

Dan

gnomonguru
01-30-2004, 02:50 AM
very cool, love the finished image, the tank is totally put into the environment and looks awesome keep up the good work:thumbsup:

Grayfox123
01-30-2004, 04:50 AM
Incredible, i must congratulate you!!, i can see that u used lightwave, what type of light did u use???, grate again :applause:

Opeth
01-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Hey digidog!
great work, especially on the materials...
can you maybe post a little explenation of the materials we see, maybe add some of the texture maps so we can see them?
thanks alot :)
excellent job.

digidog
01-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Myce
brilliant work man, looks awsome, and very impressive.
you can hide alot of things when its black and white, dont have to worry about color correction an stuff, but very nice non the less.
Just something that someone brought up the lighting on the trees to the right are different to the lighting of the tank, looks like the lights comin from the right but you seem to have the lighting of the tank to be coming from the front left of it, just a minor thing, wudnt have noticed it if someone hadnt pointed it out.
Keep up the good work man.:applause:

Thanks for the constructive comments. Yourself and Clockwork both commented on the lighting and I know why. It isn't perfect but the tank is actually lit mainly from the same direction as the light that is hitting the trees. I think the lesson I learned with this image is that I need to take a bit more care in future when taking the photo for the composite. The lighting in this shot is quite complicated as it is coming through a bunch of trees and the misty atmosphere also gives a fairly diffuse all-round light. I think the ideal way to solve this would be with HDRI but I haven't bought myself a silver ball yet. The other thing I'll probably do in future is take the shot for the composite along with another one that has an object (probably my partner - she won't like being called an object!) in the scene which I can use later as a reference for lighting.
The colour version doesn't look too bad but the main problem with colour for this sort of image is that it looks wrong simply because we're conditioned to seeing WWII in black and white.

digidog
01-31-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Grayfox123
Incredible, i must congratulate you!!, i can see that u used lightwave, what type of light did u use???, grate again :applause:

Hi, just to confirm that it was done in Lightwave and I used an area light with single bounce radiosity. The picture below shows where the light is positioned and how big it is relative to the target.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/light.jpg

CD3D
01-31-2004, 09:39 PM
Great work! The modeling, texturing and comping are all top-notch.

I wish I had the patience to build complex detailed models like that.

Keep up the great work!

Clyde

digidog
02-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Opeth
Hey digidog!
great work, especially on the materials...
can you maybe post a little explenation of the materials we see, maybe add some of the texture maps so we can see them?
thanks alot :)
excellent job.

Here is a small version of the main colour map (it was desaturated a bit more than this in the Lightwave image editor). I also used bump and grime maps in the specular and bump channels.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/camo4.jpg

I used procedural shaders in layers over the texture maps to add the dirt and mud. I used IFW shaders (see www.shaders.org) rather than the standard LIghtwave procedurals as I find them easier to get good results with. I've mapped the colour map and a couple of the dirt/mud shaders onto a sphere so you can see how it looks in a bit more detail (although the procedural frequencies probably aren't quite the same as in the tank shot as I tend to change the texture frequency to suit the shot). Hope this is useful?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/ball.jpg

Garma
02-01-2004, 03:58 PM
that's a very cool picture. you have composition skills for sure :)

MemoNono
02-01-2004, 07:37 PM
really nice work
:bounce:

3Dfx_Sage
02-01-2004, 07:50 PM
wow...

digidog
02-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by MrCup
Very nice.

The only problem I have is it's too good.
Film quality of that time generaly gave a grainer photo. The sharpness makes it look like a modern B&W photo taken of a tank that survived the war.

Here's some extra contrast/grain/blur etc.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/jp3a.jpg

roborn
02-03-2004, 09:27 PM
dam! you have done a fu€7in great job!:surprised

that's a really amazing job!:buttrock:

EXCELLENT Work!!! :thumbsup:

Lopoly
02-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Excelent picture! Now try to do an old style movie;)
Maybe little shot from the cannon?
Just make this baby move!;D

Great job!

ower
02-04-2004, 01:17 PM
Very cool, nicely done and inspirational to boot. :bounce: I've been working on a StuG III off and on.. this has inspired me greatly Thanks for talking about the material and a bit about your process.. Fantastic.

kokillo
02-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Nice work, love your clean modeling, rendering and composite.

Really exellent!

Jocke
02-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi I took the liberty of editing your fantastic picture into the way it probably would look like if was the real thing from the 1940`ties;)

Hope you dont mind!

http://www.sensonor.com/jkl/old.jpg

digidog
02-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Jocke
Hi I took the liberty of editing your fantastic picture into the way it probably would look like if was the real thing from the 1940`ties;)

Hope you dont mind!

Hmm, I guess it might look like that if it'd been through the wash a few times :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.