PDA

View Full Version : Philips Creates Foldable Screens for E-Newspapers

RobertoOrtiz
01-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Quote:
"Dutch firm Philips Electronics said on Monday it was preparing to mass-produce a slim, book-sized display panel onto which consumers could download newspapers and magazines -- then roll up and put away.

The 5-inch display, which can show detailed images, can be rolled up into a pen-sized holder. If connected to a mobile phone, it can also be used to download web pages, a book or email.

Philips said it had created the displays using electronics circuits made of plastics, which power a monochrome display created with technology from E Ink, a privately-held U.S. company from Cambridge, Massachusetts.

"We can produce this in batches. It's no longer a research project. We're going to build a pilot line that should be ready in 2005 to make one million displays a year," a spokesman at Philips Research said.

">>link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040126/tc_nm/tech_philips_displays_dc_1)

-R

parallax
01-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Revolutionary, really.
This will change quite a lot of things for us, the people in CG and media.

I reckon the demand for motion graphics designers will increase tenfold within 10 years.

quid
01-27-2004, 03:47 PM
I wonder how fast those screens can refresh. Does anyone know?

slarson
01-27-2004, 03:48 PM
I think technology like this--making it easier to read digitized material--will open the door for more problems in the disrespect for intellectual property. It would seem that the one major obstacle in keeping novels and nonfiction books from following the Kazaa fate is the fact that current technology makes that kind of piracy cumbersome. (Scanning is a pain. And it's not too fun to read books on a computer screen or PDA, whereas MP3 players are far more convenient than the older CD players.)

Well, it'll still be neat. I'm looking forward to the day when I can carry around a paperback-sized book of these digi-sheets with a couple of gigs of flash memory in the spine for my entire collection of books. Now that's beach reading...

Srek
01-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Most likely they will be rather slow. Animation or movie viewing will be out of the question. The main advantage of theses displays beside their flexibility and small formfactor is the low powerconsumption which inhibits fast refreshes.

Cheers
Srek

Breinmeester
01-27-2004, 05:01 PM
I heard about them develloping it. I reckon they pretty much don't refresh. They don't have to, they only need to store pixels untill they are overwritten. Moving pictures and colour will eventually be possible I guess, but not for a couple of years.

quid
01-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah I didn't think that these would refresh fast at all. About five years ago I remember reading about the development of such screens. Back then they were just thousands of polarized spheres with white on one side and black on the other that would be flipped accordingly. The refresh rate was awful; so bad it would be annoyingly slow even if its content was only an e-book. I was hoping that Phillips came up with something entirely different.

Fluckrat
01-27-2004, 07:47 PM
If these screens will use OLED technology they will infact be lightning fast in terms of refresh.

JA-forreal
01-27-2004, 11:28 PM
I heard about this project some years ago. These would be great pesentation tools. Even cooler if they could hold a small video clip or two.

Valrik
01-28-2004, 07:06 AM
A streaming link of the screen in action:

mms://Ntstream2.ddns.ehv.campus.philips.com/efi/86090/rollable_display/rollable_display_interv_long.wmv

staticneuron
01-28-2004, 10:59 AM
I personally belive this kind of advance in technology is a positive one.:thumbsup:

Breinmeester
01-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Wow!! Great link! Seems it refreshes quite fast. Typical Dutchman latking there, btw.

Stormy151
01-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Wow! That's pretty impressive. Doesn't look like animations are possible yet, but I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually.

I remember a time (not that long ago) when color LCD screens were science fiction, let alone affordable monitor sized ones....:)

beaker
01-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Great! Now we will have popup adds while we try to read the newspaper or a book too.

t-man152
01-28-2004, 10:56 PM
is it foldable or bendable?

Neil
01-29-2004, 12:16 AM
The only bad thing is that newspapers are designed with the notion that as soon as you lose interest or are finished you cna just leave it or throw it on the ground, and the next person can take it.
I imagine this would be hundreds of dollars, in which case, i'd guard it with my life and always be worried about leaving it somewhere :)

I do forsee them using this for portable DVD playing though. That would be sweet.

pgp_protector
01-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Bendable Yes, Foldable Dont Think so.

And I dont think the one there showing is using OLEDs, it's using E-Ink, and the display will stay even with power removed.

RobertoOrtiz
01-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by pgp_protector
Bendable Yes, Foldable Dont Think so.

And I dont think the one there showing is using OLEDs, it's using E-Ink, and the display will stay even with power removed.

If it is using e-ink the potential for the product is amazing!

The cool thing with e-ink it that it only needs energy to change the image. As I understand the technology once the image has been changed, the image stays (without energy) and it will change only after it receives another command to change.

This will be huge.

-Imagine rooms with animated wallpaper.
-ANY surface could become a TV or a computer terminal.
-Imagine changing road signs as needed.
-Imagine camouflage that changes depending on the environment.
-Imagine rooms on a building that can project on all its wall the view outside.

This could be as huge as the Internet.

UPDATE It is confirmed! It is E-ink! Check their site:

http://www.e-ink.com

-R

zappenduster
01-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
This will be huge.

-Imagine rooms with animated wallpaper.
-ANY surface could become a TV or a computer terminal.
-Imagine changing road signs as needed.
-Imagine camouflage that changes depending on the environment.
-Imagine rooms on a building that can project on all its wall the view outside.

i dont think we should be to enthusiastic about this stuff it may work great in some places (technical manuals for example no more 1000pages 4pound books) but each medal has its backsite

imagine houseswalls hacked for graffiti
imagine your cars color changing from time to time to a advertising of the manufacturer
imagine commercials anywhere you walk

and then even its a good technology it dont has to get used, anyone remembering the 3d helmets like forte vfx or i-glasses great technology but long gone...

the price and how easy its to use will decide if its a seller

Breinmeester
01-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Those 3D helmets and glasses will have their day. It took the fax machine a couple of decades to get into use. When the time's right an invention will get in use.

js33
01-30-2004, 10:41 AM
People still use fax machines? :D

Why? :hmm:

See the print world is dying. I told you so. :thumbsup:

Paper is so wasteful. It will die eventually.

Cheers,
JS

zappenduster
01-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by js33
People still use fax machines? :D

Why? :hmm:

See the print world is dying. I told you so. :thumbsup:

Paper is so wasteful. It will die eventually.

Cheers,
JS

paper is dying maybe but i know for shure i will never have fun reading a book on a monitor its ok for a manual but just try to read lord of the rings or any other book with more then 50 pages on a monitor you get crazy

i dont think it will kill books or so but maybe the newspapers you may select your theme for the news and just send it to the e-ink thing that would be ok

SkullboX
01-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Books will always have their place, but increasingly as collectors items, which is exactly why exposÚ is in bookform, and not a dvd or an alternative electronics device.

It looks pretty cool, finally something interesting coming from that big Dutch electronics company. Luckily they're not interested in monopolising the product but rather making it an industry standard as fast as possible - just like they did with cd's.

Now it's just a matter of time before these things are in color, but I think they're going to a faster refresh rate before anything else. Promising technology, and if they can manage to mass produce these at the costs stated in the article it's going to be a success rather fast as well, I think.

slaughters
01-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by zappenduster
paper is dying maybe but i know for shure i will never have fun reading a book on a monitor its ok for a manual but just try to read lord of the rings or any other book with more then 50 pages on a monitor you get crazyI just finished reading several 300-400 page books on my PDA. Great devices just for that. About the size of a paper back (but lighter in weight) and one click on a button advances to a new page. I can also read it anywhere I would take a normal book. In bed, on the bus, in the bathroom, etc..

PDA's have been around almost a decade now, but how many people do you know that read books this way? Paper is still just cheaper and easier to use for most people. When push comes to shove people go with "cheap and easy" over "cool" 90% of the time.

Cageman
01-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Many books have tiny letters, and you just whished you could change the font. Now, it seems, you can! LCD-screens are nice for reading text, compared to CRT-screens. I don┤t see a problem with this.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.