PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Vtx Color between Polys with different number of vertices.

CanCat
01-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I have spent quite a lot of time trying to figure this out by myself, and I still do not have a clue how to get it right or if it is even possible. I give up. :cry:

My problem is quite simple, or it isn't, ...

I have a polyCube to whom I have applied some vertex colouring.
If I duplicate the poly and modify the shape by deleting components, the remaining ones reorder themselves and therefore
Polygons > Transfer > VertexColors, does not work.

Is there any internal way , API or MEL I do not mind, that stores the indexes without reordering them, so I could make a direct connection between the two shapes components?

I will much appreciate any suggestions.

g.

mhovland
01-26-2004, 12:42 PM
How about transfering the vertex colors first, then doing your modifications to the surface?

Just a thought, haven't tested it yet.......

CanCat
01-26-2004, 01:36 PM
thanx mike,

unfortunately, that is not an option,..
what I am tryin' to do is to export the vertex color info to an external file and then import this file info to an object with the same name..
imagine that i have stored some files with the vertex color info for the object in different situations(kind of having the vertex color animated), but the object itself could change slightly its topology in some of these situations, varying the name of vertices...

I hope I made myself clear...

g.

Marcel
01-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Does your model have good UV mapping? Maybe you could somehow transfer the vertex colors to the texture and back? (I'm not sure if this is possible using mel though, it's just an idea)

CanCat
01-30-2004, 03:49 PM
thanks marcel,

it does look like it's gonna be a bit more complicated than I thought. I have just had a look to one of the maya api videos and the "reordering" of the indexes seems to be an unsolved issue.

I thought of using a lookup table to keep track of the changes on the vertex, but I do not know if that is gonna get me anywhere close to the solution yet.

g.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.