PDA

View Full Version : Steamboy

Lockstar
01-26-2004, 10:47 AM
http://www.steamboy.net/

Anyone know anything about this movie?

Trailer (although brief) looks beautiful.

Apparently largest budget (with Miyazaki's Spirited Away) $20 million.

Hopefully Katsuhiro Otomo will work his magic.

:)

Solesurvivor
01-26-2004, 10:56 AM
looking very good indeed, thnx for the link :)

Layer01
01-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Producer: well i want to make a movie called rus...t..um....i mean steam boy....yes.....yes that will do, that will do nicely. Mwahahahaahhah.
lol :p

but on a darker note....WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH QUICK TIME!!! i have never seen quick time do any crap "buffering" and then start playing before it has finished D/Ling, and whats more is that i see that if you drag back the slider on the time bar it has to REBUFFER! ( in the same way as the incredebly BAD wmp) in effect making the trailer unwatchable. damn you quicktime! where is the good ol' load an play i have grown to love so much!

but from what i saw it looks great.

Lockstar
01-26-2004, 01:10 PM
The streams are terrible.

Here is a link to some more stuff, just grabbing them now.

http://www.catsuka.com/interf/bideo/clips.htm

DivX5 and Real.

Making of + trailer.

Name is quite poor. However, it allows Otomo to seamlessly introduce Condensation girl.

Love the brief scene where the steam engine is flying into the house. Also love the Victorian Steam Segway.

There has been some great 2d lately (belleville, Tokyo Godfathers etc).

iayestaran
01-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Sounds like a take on the character from Nadia! The CG is not too well grounded but still. it looks good! Can't wait!

psyop63b
01-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Looks friggin' beautiful!!! I'm glad they've shown they can do period peices and not just scifi/fantasy, which anime is known for. The 2d/3d effects blend quite nicely.

mikkermik
01-26-2004, 10:01 PM
------- AintItCool.com -----

Otomo's Steamboy Release Confirmed

Big-budget Anime Feature Out Fall 03

From ICV2 December 21, 2002 Japanese film distributor Toho has released its schedule for next year and it includes Steamboy, Katsuhiro Otomo's first feature length directorial project since his breakthrough film Akira in 1988.

Although the film was rumored to be ready for release in 2003, its appearance on the Toho schedule seals the deal, since historically there have been few deviations from the Toho list.

A retro science fiction epic set in Victorian England (see "Otomo's Steamboy Anime"), Steamboy is the most expensive animated film in Japanese history with a budget of some 2.4 billion yen (roughly $20 million). With more than 180,000 drawings and 400 CG cuts, Steamboy is sure to be one of the most elaborate animated features of 2003.

And given Akira's reputation in the U.S., Steamboy appears likely to get some sort of theatrical release here

Dearmad
01-27-2004, 01:28 AM
For those with limited bandwidth- don't bother d/ling the first "trailer" it's nothing more than a title floating away with a few really annoying cuts into the animation- totalling about 50 frames of animation... how annoying and a waste of time to d/l.

psyop63b
01-28-2004, 03:36 AM
I agree, the first trailer doesn't even give you a clue what the movie is about (unless you speak Japanese maybe?). Don't waste your time on it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.