PDA

View Full Version : Low poly hands?

Cyborgguineapig
01-26-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi I am looking for any low poly hand tutorials because at the time I am having a bit of difficulty at getting the polygon flow I like for a three fingered character. If anyone has a timelapsted modeling of a low poly hand it would be a godsend. Also if it makes a difference, this hand is too be used in first person perspective and not in third.

Thanks,
Cyborg

AndyBa
01-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi Cyborg,
How many polygons can you spend on that model?
I think that a hand for a first person perspective should be almost high poly...
I remember seeing somewhere a hands modeling tutorial but I can't
recall where..
may be you can find a high poly model and study the mesh topology of the hands...

gaggle
01-26-2004, 02:37 PM
If you have access to Half-Life, it features hands made rather neatly in my opinion. Maybe those can inspire you. They're very nicely optimized, it's just a couple of hundred tris if memory serves.
The point is they haven't spend a single polygon where it's not needed, ie. they put the details mostly into the upperside of the hand and fingers.

Poopinmymouth
01-26-2004, 05:03 PM
not time lapse, but shows in stages, and my mesh flow

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/character_tutorial/character_process_page_3.htm

Xaint
01-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by gaggle
If you have access to Half-Life, it features hands made rather neatly in my opinion.

Could you post some screen caps? By the way are you referring to Half Life 1 or 2?

Cyborgguineapig
01-27-2004, 12:06 AM
He means through HL model viewer I suppose?

gaggle
01-27-2004, 08:25 AM
I'm refering to Half-Life 1. And yeah, like you say Cyborgguineapig, if you have the stand-alone version of Half-Life you can use one of the model viewers to see what's going on. That'd be the best way imo, as you can easily toggle to wireframe and untextured shaded mode.

If you don't have Half-Life at all, you can get it for free off of Steam (http://www.steampowered.com). I don't think you can use any model viewers with the format Steam uses, but at least you can see the hands in action.

Cyborgguineapig
01-27-2004, 03:48 PM
cool thanks, I finished the hand model yesterday and must say I am quite pleased with it. Maybe I'll post up a pick when I get time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.