PDA

View Full Version : Challenge WIP: Nipper

Nipper
01-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Hello,

kinda last minute, but I thought I'd try the challenge. Here's a rough sketch of my idea. I may give him big boots and bigger less human hands, but you get the idea.

Here's the sketch: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/erinnicholson/Twohorn_020123.jpg

Willa
01-24-2002, 06:44 AM
yeah , doesnt seem like anyone is going the humanoid route..

well i went that way.. .. got no comments lol..

http://will.squarehost.net/work/mantis6.jpg
http://will.squarehost.net/work/mantis7.jpg

he needs more alien.

Error323
01-24-2002, 07:35 AM
Very nice model!!! Keep it up!!!! Like the muscles

Lynn
01-24-2002, 03:51 PM
I really like the design you have so far!, the render is really nice, ooo! you could have some fun with thoes eyes!

what program are you using?

I like the fact that you kept him humaniod, it does seem like a lot of people are going all out and making the characters _too_ alien.

Nice work! :)

-Lynn

Nipper
01-25-2002, 03:40 AM
Hi Willa,

looks good. You should be putting your images in your own thread, it'll bring it back to the top, and then I won't get all the credit, heheh :D

Anyway, here's an update on my progress, I've finished most of the head. I'm moving on to the body. Tick tock, the deadline is approaching, but I'm having fun. :D

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/erinnicholson/Twohorn_020125.JPG

vertex
01-25-2002, 04:30 AM
Nipper I really like the head, very cool modelling, you've hit your concept drawing on the head. Great Eybrows and sunken eyes. Full speed ahead now. Times a tickin.

Vertex

Nipper
01-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Thanks Vertex! Yup, I gotta hussle if I want to finish him. But it'll be fun to see him shape up! :D

pabbloz
01-26-2002, 07:04 PM
very very good blue head!
But the nose is a little small I think. I don't like too mucho its perfil (nose).

brrrrr...I need study english.

Kadde
01-26-2002, 09:23 PM
i liked a lot. i am learning how to do a more detailed head without
sacrifice poly cuts, and your head is perfect to me.

u could post a shaded viewport without smooth ?

Hmura
01-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Nice clean head model. I like the shape of the head and the horns. I do however have to agree with pabbloz about the nose, it seems too fragile due to is smallness.

I hope you don't mind me changing the image a bit to illustrate what im trying to say...
I just edited the nose in photoshop a bit :)

www.hmura.f2s.com/ALIEN.jpg

Then again maybe you like the nose the way it is he he :)

Can't wait to see the rest of him, I like ure style.

>>H<<

Willa
01-27-2002, 09:28 AM
lol sorry i responded when i thought the thread was going to Die off or something , i APPOLOGIZE :}

ohh yeah , yer head is badass man , keep it up FEB 1'ST IS COMMING!!!

Nipper
01-28-2002, 03:40 AM
Hi folks,

thanks for the kind words.:)

The nose was bothering me as well because it looked like it was just sitting on top of his face instead of being part of it. I did change the profile so the nose is a little more square, and blended it into the face more. I even tried your idea for the nose Hmura. It looked good from the side, but it changed the ethnicity of the face too much from the front. I found it too distracting. I wanted the nose to be less prominent than the eyes and the mouth, which to me are more expressive.

Pabbloz, your English is pretty good, and you taught me the Spanish word for profile :D

Kadde, I'll post a lowpoly version of the head in a few minutes, I just have to make a screen grab of it.

And last but not least, Willa, I didn't mean to offend, I just thought that your model deserved its own thread, because it's looking really good. Thanks for bumping my thread up and out of oblivion ;)

Nipper
01-28-2002, 04:03 AM
Hey, here's the lowpoly version of the head. I'm a little reluctant to post it because there are some extra faces around the mouth, chin and neck that I would clean up before making morph targets. I'll have to do that AFTER the contest. But if it'll help you Kadde, here it is.:)

I'm still working on the body so hopefully I'll have something new to post tomorrow.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/erinnicholson/wirebust01.jpg

Kadde
01-29-2002, 03:54 AM
thanks for the low poly image, Nipper. i got a reply about my pirate saying it's face needed more details. but i think my GI render is not good, so the face rendered very smooth , hiding the cuts.

about your head, the neck area is great too , and will help me a lot.

Nipper
01-29-2002, 05:37 AM
Hi Kadde,

I'm glad that it helped you. I looked at the wireframe image of your character's head and posted a link in your thread that might help you out. Take a look, and Good luck!

Nipper
01-29-2002, 09:57 AM
Ok, here's a little update to say that I'm still in the game. :D Still have to add boots, a tail, hands, buttons, acessories............Oh my. No sleep for me. ;)

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/erinnicholson/AramisTwohorn.JPG

Matt-Clark
01-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Nice :D

I like especially like the cloth work.

Nipper
01-29-2002, 10:28 AM
Thanks Matt! :D

It's the first time I've done cloth in a long time and it turned out pretty decent for the time that I spent on it.

pabbloz
01-29-2002, 12:53 PM
very good!
You have to finish it on time! (ufff...)

Come on!

Nice legs.

Nipper
01-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Pabbloz, I think I'm gonna finish it, I just don't know how well. :D

here's another little update, the hands are just place fillers, but I was getting tired of looking at empty sleeves. ;) Hopefully I'll have time to make some long spidery fingers with big joints.

The tail is coming, as are whatever other accesories I have time to model. :D

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/erinnicholson/Aramisboots.JPG

el gatto
01-30-2002, 12:40 PM
He's interesting... the boots are great,
the pants and legs are very cool too,
the head is beautifull, only one or two little things,
the torso area is a bit too square and the creases
on the sleeves are nice yet too symetrical... that's it,
great work :)

ciao

Equinoxx
01-30-2002, 02:30 PM
ooh them shoes :D

I like em . . . I like em alot.

He does remind me a lil of them bad guys from the 5th element tho . . . then again, could be my imagination ...

adr
01-30-2002, 11:36 PM
mi first post

Nipper
01-31-2002, 11:11 AM
Another small update. I modelled some hands and a tail for him today. Hasn't changed in looks much. I'm gonna have to add a sword and a grappling gun or something. Maybe a hat. He needs more pirate and less Beethoven. ;) I'm pretty happy for a weeks work though.

el gatto; thanks for pointing out the torso problem. I had noticed it and then forgotten about it. He's more rounded now. The jacket is really symmetrical because the whole body is made up of instanced halves. I haven't welded them yet. :)

Equinoxx; He does look a little like a Mangalore, let's hope that bigger cranium makes him a little smarter. ;)

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement!

Does anyone know exactly what time this all has to be done tomorrow? Will there be an exact cut-off time? Just curious, I'd like to add as much a possible before time runs out.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/erinnicholson/Aramis_tail.JPG

Nipper
02-01-2002, 10:43 AM
Hi all,

well, after a few crashed renders I finally made it! I just finished rendering my pirate, so I thought that I'd post him up.:D It feels a little bit sad now that it's all over :) Anyway take a look and tell me what you think.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/erinnicholson/AramisTwohorn_Nipper.JPG

alx
02-01-2002, 11:55 AM
im impressed,

Well, im looking through all the models i can before i crash ( i havent slept in 37 hours ) just thought i'll let everyone now.. LOL anyway i really like your model.

I saw the first renders just now and i was a little skeptical since it looked too " beethoven" but the last one )WOW NICE WORK
, i like the hook and the props, as well as the concept, but i think that for next time maybe the blue shoudn't be so saturated ( not that its over saturated) but i think that a more whiteish , or more washed color might have helped your model alot, i like the lighting....... Shadows are nice .

To bad you didn't get to put him on a set to give the pic abit more deph... but well, ( i guess rendering time would have not let you get the deadline) so.....
something else, The posure is Good, but because of the fingers he looks a little too stiff and the face and neck are to rigid.... so you kind of lose him showing an attitude ( which would have worked GREAT on him) you know like geting him in the midle of an action and stuff, it would have worked out nice.

But still Great job specially considering the fact of time and technicalities of the computer.....
Damn computers

Well Good Work

Sincerely
alx

Nipper
02-01-2002, 12:04 PM
Hi alx,

yup, I agree with all your comments. I REALLY wanted to put a smile on his face, show some teeth and give him a more cocky pose, but I just ran out of time. His fingers and neck do look a little gimpy, for sure. You're right about the blue not being very exciting, it's the default colour cast for GI renders in Brazil, I was just being lazy, so I didn't change it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback. 37 hours? Whew, go get some sleep! :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.