PDA

View Full Version : WIP : mclaren

erwinriau
01-23-2002, 07:24 PM
hello fellow 3d modellers and animators,
this is my 3d version of mclaren production car, I still have to do alot of work on it to make it look exactly the same to the real car

but anyway all critiques are welcome, I am very open minded
:)

http://erwinr.com/mclarentestshotf.jpg

http://erwinr.com/mclarentestshotb.jpg

Koma
01-23-2002, 09:32 PM
are you working with lightwave ? metanurbs ?

erwinriau
01-23-2002, 10:16 PM
yes yes its lightwave metanurbs, the weird thing is when i render with double sided materials I can see some of the wireframe on the model, and it looks quite terrible, I have no solution to this...

Daniel
01-23-2002, 11:31 PM
don't forget to WELD all points!

the wheels are to big!

show us a wireframe version instead of the renderd one!

Cya.

erwinriau
01-24-2002, 12:22 AM
otay otay

here is the wireframe shot :)

http://erwinr.com/mclarenlwshot.jpg

arai
01-24-2002, 02:18 AM
yeah it looks like you've got 2 point polys or all points aren't welded or something. Try looking at a part that is rendering wierd and select a point... is it selecting as 1 or more than 1? Looks like you've got quite a few to clean up, which might be a pain but the model itself is really looking nice, good job

-arai-

Squash&Strech
01-24-2002, 03:41 AM
I think it looks pretty cool, aside from the welding issues, I like the Big tires, makes it look mean :))

erwinriau
01-24-2002, 03:50 AM
I've tried selecting those points on the area that shows wireframe on the rendering, but they are all single vertex no double pointed... and I did a test render with single sided material on which I dont see any problem on.

other than that thanks for all the comments and input, I will update the progress I've made.

IMarshal
01-24-2002, 03:57 AM
That is one sweet model so far. I can't wait to see a render with materials! Keep up the good work

LordIron2k
01-24-2002, 05:29 AM
Oh man u rockz .

DarkSun
01-24-2002, 05:36 AM
hey erwinriau,

I am not a modeler but I really like your model:)
Very very nice details. I would like to see an animation with this object ;)

samartin
01-24-2002, 07:53 AM
Hi, just noticed that the front headlight on the right u seem 2 have a flipped poly, if u select poly's on the bottom toolbar then press 'w' this should show if u have 2 point poly's in your scene. Also if u select parts of your car say the wing then press 'm' to merge the points this may eradicate some wireframe issues....

Look forward 2 seeing an update

moojuice
01-24-2002, 08:18 AM
well overall shape is close...but has it been in an accident? the wheel arches and roof are all crumpled....

Gal
01-24-2002, 08:52 AM
this is the first time i'm posting in this forum, just because i ... had to show mine... i've yet see anyone else try doing a mclaren.. so,..
nothing personal heh.. i just had to.
also wip more or less, have to make it's original wheels.

http://www.3dluvr.com/galr/images/portfolio/page2.jpg

mine was made in max,rendered in mr.

Koma
01-24-2002, 09:15 AM
do you freeze your model ? when its in metanurbs and you enter in the layout he freeze it for you ,sometime when i create character i freeze it in the modeler and its create the weird wireframre look that you so try to not freeze your if you do if......

i really dont know what appens

erwinriau
01-24-2002, 04:17 PM
Thank you all for the comments and critiques, I really appreciate that, now I can bring this model back to "serviceshop", and emphasize on the flaws that you guys had mention

samartin.... there is no two polygons there, its just my slopiness.
the reflection cover for the headlight is abit over sized and part of it came trhough the body.

hey gal thats a very nice mclaren you have there... is the detail all made with polys or bumpmaps?
regardless, I think it is very accurate to the real car, keep up the good work man :)

ToddD
01-24-2002, 04:20 PM
erwinriau, I like the exaggerated proportions, it adds a bit of personal style to the model! If you fix the welds, and do a great job texturing, that is going to be 1 fierce model!

OH, Gal, what approach did you take in Max when making the seams on your model, they look very tight, I'm doing well with seams, except where they intersect at a "T". Any info would be appreciated. Great work!

Gal
01-24-2002, 04:52 PM
it's all polys , no bumps or anything.. u can see a wireframe stage if u want here http://www.3dluvr.com/galr/images/workinprog/wire-pre%20smoothing.jpg

it's an old one though

i just manually bevel, there are few tricks to get the bevels made for u.. but they all arent 100% accuret for what u want..sometimes they screw up..so.. i just extrude twice inside by 45 degrees and then 90 degrees inside on each edge.

ToddD
01-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the info Gal! Off to give it a try!

Raul-Reznek
01-25-2002, 10:11 AM
NOW I know I'm REALLY out of my league. MAAAANNN that's one COOL car.I can hardly wait to see some raytracing.
VERY good.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.