PDA

View Full Version : Stroke & spaces

TheWriter
01-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Im starting to use Stroke a lot in my work. I'm wondering, is there a simple way to set it so it skips every other pixel, so I can add dots for example over my selection to stroke?

halo
01-25-2004, 12:05 AM
stroke path or stroke selection?

TheWriter
01-25-2004, 04:30 AM
My selections. OH well, guess I'll switch to paths.

halo
01-25-2004, 12:15 PM
ah....not sure how to do it with them :S

Rivendale
01-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Perhaps you can make a custom brush that is something like 1 pixel filled and the next transparent, and then stroke a path with that.

edit:hmm, played around with it and I don't think that is going to work...

Ikarus
01-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Make a selection of what you want to stroke. Then create a "Working Path" from it on your "Paths" pallete.

Then select a brush that you want to use or create your own custom one, and just adjust the spacing on it(This will give you the gaps you want)

Go back to your "Paths" pallete and select the "Path" you had previously created, select "Stroke Path" from the pulldown arrow, and just select "Brush" as your tool and hit "Ok".

This method will use your path and the specific brush you had selected to paint in the shape of your path.

You can also use Illustrator for some of the strokes that you might be looking for.

TheWriter
01-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Ok thanks. I edited some brushes to add some spaces and got that to work. Now, here is what I had been wanting to do. To take the path of a circle and stroke it with this brush to make a dotted circle.

Original I converted a selection to a path but this is very inaccurate. So then I tried using the shapes to use the circle for a more better accuracy. This gets much better results, but try it, and you still get some pixels offset in quite a few places, and often the dots don't quite join up properly.

I am wondering, is there a better away to say make a perfect dotted circle? Or just through trial and error? Perhaps a filter using some mathematics is the only way here.

Rivendale
01-27-2004, 12:41 AM
You could make a line-circle(renderable) or a loft in a 3d program, apply a checker map to it and render it on a white backround.

Ikarus
01-27-2004, 04:26 AM
Using "Shapes" you'll get a perfect path for things such as circles, squares, Ngons, etc. Which should give you a smooth dotted stroke, only thing you might notice is that sometimes the dots overlap where the stroke begins and ends. Which can be fixed by adjusting the spacing slightly. (As you can see on the second Dotted Circle in the picture below)

I would "Selections" --> "Paths" for other comlicated shapes, such as the shape of a person, etc. Also adjusting the "Tolerance" (lower values= more points=more accurate)when creating Paths will create more or less points for your path. And sometimes make a difference when you stroke the path. (As you can see on the first Dotted Circle some of the dots are closer together)

If you have Illustrator I'd highly recomend you try using the strokes in there, or better yet the Brushes specially the "Scatter" Brushes. As you'll see all your changes real time in Illustrator, as apposed to trial and error in photoshop. And can create your own custom brushes in Illustrator as well, etc.

Below are 3 circles with a dotted stroke.
1st one was from a selection of a circle.
2nd one was from a "Shape"
3rd one was done in Illustrator.

http://www.ikaruz.com/web/cgtalk/strokes.gif

TheWriter
01-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the input. I later on went and played around with alternating the spacing and was able to get much better results.

It may still not be perfect but getting there.

halo
01-29-2004, 12:45 AM
tryed a square edge brush at all? just out of interest....

ASCIISkull
01-30-2004, 10:07 PM
You could always create a straight line of dots and polarize it, as an alternative.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.