PDA

View Full Version : Sgi :)!

qba3d
01-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi Guys!
I have a question...
Long time ago , in times of 486... i saw an SGI workstation... it was shiny, purple, and had that most beautifull sing in the world... Silicon Graphics.. The operating system was fantastic... all looked so ..PRO...
Nowdays all the people use PC windows or Linux Based workstation.. I have a nice Workstation too... plus 3 rendering support pc`s...
But i was looking for something that would remind me that brand.. SGI....
What do you say?
I was looking for some SGI...that would use irix 6.5.x.. and would be able to import an uncompressed video... but mostly would look nice.
What would you recomend?
How fast o2 or Octane are comparing to the nowdays Workstations CPUs?
Maybe some day I would use maya on it.. but buying maya for an old OS is quite stupid ......
Q.

opus13
01-24-2004, 06:10 PM
check out some threads here (http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39455&highlight=sgi) and here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111653&highlight=sgi)

qba3d
01-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks. That was it.... Octane is us fast us k6-2 400 - i had one!:)))
Well so what woul you sugest?
All i need is a SGI machine - just for fun.. deleted the idea of maya...
So... maybe Indigo?:)
Q

CgFX
01-24-2004, 11:12 PM
On O2 would be the most fun with a very low cost and much more standard connectors/expansion (HD15 VGA, PCI, s-video input, etc.).

2muchcoffeeman
01-25-2004, 08:55 PM
If you just wanna tinker around with it, you could get one from ebay. Plenty of dirtcheap old SGI Indigo's and Octane's on sale there.

benvu
01-28-2004, 06:40 AM
My Octane SE 225Mhz single CPU was still pretty solid and ran Maya 2.5 great! NOTE: This was three years ago. I sold it on ebay and built a dual Pentium Windows workstation. Funny though, I've never been as productive as I was on the SGI. Something about the box just made you REALLY want to create some cool stuff. I still configure my DOS shells and cursor arrow to resemble IRIX 6.5.

Anyhow, I would say get an O2. The Octane is pretty heavy and also fairly loud.

wavescorx
01-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Hey just wanted to put it out there, I have an SGI Octane 225 MHz SE sitting in the box. I'm using the 21" monitor for it with my Mac setup now...I'd be willing to sell it.

It ran great, I only stopped using it because I had a student lease on Maya and it expired...then by the time I could afford Maya again, the prices dropped and I could get a version for the Mac which is what I use for music production and film editing already.

E-mail me if you're interested!

-Travis

Maskalz
01-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Hi guys!
Wooo this is my first post here !! (let's try to give a good impression then :p )

My 2 cents:
I wanted to get an SGI since I was 12 years old.... now I own three of them :p
Nowadays the systems you can get on ebay for a fair amount are not enough powerful to do complex works but I like a lot playing around with my Octane...
Anyway if you're searching an SGI, I suggest the O2 (as benvu told previously). It's small, it has a CDROM drive included, it has a 15pin VGA connector instead of 13W3 and, last but not least, it has a memory bus called Unified Memory Architecture that allows you to use all the unused RAM of your system as texture memory ( max system RAM is 1Gb).
Other option is the Indigo2, possibly the Impact ones (often in a purple case).
If you want a "collectible SGI" then go for an Indigo but forget to do 3D.
If you want a big-loud-heavy workstation, then get an Octane. They are quite upgradable and with the latest gfx (V8,V12) can still act good.

Ok, I've finished! :)
I hope to have been of any help.

Bye, Maskalz

benvu
01-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Yeah, you will need an external SCSI CD-ROM drive with the Octane. Why no built in CD-ROM? I guess SGI figured no dedicated CG artist would shell out $10k for their own personal Octane (like moi). Only places like ILM, Pixar, and Lockheed would use their boxes and one of their boxes would have a CD-ROM that was shared across the network.

I still have no idea if anyone has ever hooked up a DVD-ROM drive to an SGI.

On another note: The Octane's graphics using the 13W3 connector to my 21" SGI Granite monitor yielded spectacular sharpness, color, and contrast. Even better than my PowerMac. I know it has something to do with SGI's special gamma/color settings but nothing I've own sinced 1997 can compare in image quality. :)

beaker
01-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by benvu
On another note: The Octane's graphics using the 13W3 connector to my 21" SGI Granite monitor yielded spectacular sharpness, color, and contrast. Even better than my PowerMac. I know it has something to do with SGI's special gamma/color settings but nothing I've own sinced 1997 can compare in image quality. :)
SGI used Sony and Hitachi tubes in their custom boxes. So any Sony will equal one.

benvu
01-31-2004, 03:35 AM
Same Trinitron monitor can yield different results when fed different video signals from different graphic systems :)

My observations are only based on practical experience working directly with SGI's, Macs, and PCs hooked up to the same monitors. I learned the difference between the color systems from a SIGGRAPH presentation by Charles Poynton. You can find more info at http://www.poynton.com/Poynton-color.html

wmendez
01-31-2004, 08:21 AM
If you want to see what some used SGI's are going for check out http://www.reputable.com/

beaker
02-01-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by wmendez
If you want to see what some used SGI's are going for check out http://www.reputable.com/
If you want to see some used SGI's check ebay :)

O2's were going for $1-200 a year ago and octanes under $500.

DaJuice
02-01-2004, 06:27 AM
I got a 250mhz Octane with SSI gfx, it's pretty nice for such an old machine, fun to tool around with, plus it looks badass. ;)
Actually I've been modeling on the Octane for a while because the fan on my PC's gfx card died, and it's been out of comission. The Octane is not as fast as the PC but you kinda get used to it, and you can still be very productive as long as you don't try to model anything overly complex, because then you'll really wish the processor had a few hundred more mhz.

benvu
11-29-2004, 02:24 PM
That's awesome that you're still using the Octane.
I recently saw one in action at a Linux Movies Group meeting at Flash Film Works, Hollywood. Probably used as a file server but being useful nonetheless. Made me happy inside. I may snag one just for kicks if I ever own a home. Oh, does anyone know where I can get a Commodore64? I'd love to rewire the C64 to be used just as a USB or PS2 keyboard. Or better, a wireless bluetooth device! Any ideas?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.